Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Nautilus
  • 3 Post By soupdragon
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS

Thread: Windows Surface... tablet discussion...

Windows Surface... tablet discussion...

I had been looking at picking up a windows Surface 2 for quite a while, mostly for travel situations and road trips.

Picked one up today and got a pretty good deal on it. A Singpaorean guy had bought one for his Thai gf 2 months ago, but she finally admitted that what she really wanted was an iPad as those are more trendy. So he had 17,500 into it + the 4500 baht keyboard. His investment just 2 months ago was 22,000 baht. I got it for far less than that. At first I thought, Score!

Unfortunately, the research I'd done was over a year ago. I'd forgotten about the damn RT version Vs the Pro version. For the unintiated, the windows RT OS is like some quasi form of windows that isnt quite a phone version, but isnt a real windows version either. It's supposed to be specifically for windows tablets. The biggest downside for me is that it doesnt have the full windows OS, so you're stuck with just using windows IE for any web stuff- I am a diehard Firefox guy.

For this reason, I wanted to Pro version, which basically runs the same OS as your laptop. I like FF and the add ons I typically use. That said, the Pro version is usually double the price of the RT Surface. Also, the Pro version doesnt come with MS Office, whereas RT has these sort office-like applets that allow you to use Word and Excel, the two biggest things I need for work, should some work thing come in while I am traveling. So, with the RT version, you dont need to buy MS Office separately.

Anyway, I am now mulling over trying to re-sell the tablet itself, keep the keyboard, then use the money to buy the Suface 2 Pro I wanted... or just live with the reduced functionality. If I am being honest with myself, I really only plan to use the thing while traveling so is the extra functionality really necessary? That said, if I had the Pro version, I would probably integrate it into full time use.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone had any tablet thoughts... what do you guys use and why? How much did you invest? How often are you really on it?
    Last edited by WarProfiteer; 29th December 2014 at 20:25.

I still have my iPad.. And it does very little... since iOS8 upgrade its soooo painfully slow but of course apple wont let me downgrade.

Next tablet will be android.. I dont need full suite apps when travelling and the file systems and things I can do with android would allow GPS route planning and transfer to garmins etc.. Otherwise web apps handle everything I need and google integration is what I value most.. Hangouts, drive, calender, etc etc etc..

I also thought about a Surface running proper Windows. But then got a Mac Pro running dual boot, so don’t really see that much of a difference with hauling a non-pocket size tablet around.

Then got a Samsung Mega as it was the biggest Android phone that could fit in my pocket. Makes it at least easier to surf, and landscape typing more comfortable. No issues with speed so far, but probably will not support Lollipop out-of-the-box.

Each to their own needs of course, but this set up just complements mine perfectly. Don't really miss a tablet at all. Oh, and I still use my 400 Baht Nokia dumb phone for actual phone calls.

My thinking when buying tablets or mobile phones, go for flagship models or regret.
    WarProfiteer likes this.

I've got to agree, I would probably only go with big name stuff.

About a year ago, I bought a Google Nexus 7 for the same reason I wanted the Surface... mostly for traveling and/or road trips. I typically only get about 90 minutes of battery life from my laptop, so having something smaller, simpler and longer lasting made sense. After having it for 5 days though, I noticed I wasnt integrating it's daily use at all... it mostly just sat. So, since it was still all shiny and new, I made it a gift for the she-wok. She was delighted and does indeed use it every day. It fits easily in her purse, so she takes it along to school every day and uses it on breaks/lunch or if there's a lul in patients. She loves the thing. Hell, even when she's home she's still on the tablet just as often as she's on her laptop. Probably more. She's been having problems with that old laptop, so more and more she's been using the tablet and liking it.

I really like the surface's keyboard/folder design... I really dislike typing anything more than a sentence or two if I dont have actual keys. If cost were no factor, I'd have a Surface 2 Pro with the MS folder/keyboard... but that starts getting pricey, even more so if you add a real version of MS Office. You could easily top $1500.

I think I'll probably just keep this RT version... I'm really only looking for movies or games in the airport or on flights, or GPS Apps while riding or Skype/Email once I've stopped for the night in some Thai town somewhere for the night. If I had the Pro version I would definitely start using it more than my laptop, but I just dont care to shell out that kind of money.

I have an aversion to the iCult, so I refuse to go Apple. I like the Android based systems, but just never found a device that I liked as much as the Surface.

Anyway, I was just curious about other's choices w/ regards to tablets... how much they've integrated them into their daily computing needs. what systems they chose and why, how much they've spent, etc...

I had the same problem as you with stuff not working on my tablets and also usability problems with keyboard and even screen.

We’ve got an ipad and Samsung tablet but I only like to use these for very basic stuff. So I bought an all-in-one pc with wireless keyboard and mouse in the end to travel with as still cant get on with the idea of doing what I need to do on a tablet or even laptop……maybe that will change over time though

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    My thinking when buying tablets or mobile phones, go for flagship models or regret.
    There was a time I would have agreed with that but now with so many very capable mid range models out there I sort of look at the flagships the same way I look at owning a Ferrari on Phuket, nice to look at but you never get out of second gear.
    LivinLOS, Nautilus and Dkdude like this.

I still think of the surface tablets as M$ half-assed attempt at trying to create a do it all portable that doesn't do anything really well. And as noted, it's not even very cheap.

It sounds like you're looking for a small laptop with a real keyboard. Plenty to choose from that will run the Office suite better than the Surface Pro.

I can vouch for the MacBook Air, but you've already got a double barreled shotgun pointed at your foot, so I'll say no more.

Google Chrome book?

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    mmmm... Unsure on the phones lately..

I have always bought flagship phones for years.. And since the N1 always nexus only (which I am sure is why I hold android in such high regard, using HTC sense phones or my missus mid end galaxy with samsung mods is far less of a smooth experience) so am preaching what I dont practice.. But there are so many mid tier phones now that are so good, and chinese clone phones so cheap that todays 5k chinese clone seems to outperform last year, or even say 6 month old 20k flagship. I saw a chinese copy of an oppo phone (which in itself is mid tier) and it seemed really on par with like note 3 level of quality..

Everyone has different needs.. My missus has a mid tier phone, but it has a really solid camera.. For her photo and facebook needs, its slick.. Shes not running hard apps, needing a uber high rez screen.. etc etc.. These days theres so much choice, and they all do so well.. I dont know that the mega price phones justify themselves as well as they did before.
    Nautilus likes this.

I agree for phones. I'd perfectly comfy on a mid teir phone, but work gives us our choice of Razr Droid or newest iPhone. Obviously because of my aversion to the iCult, I went with the android based Droid.

But should I need to turn that back, say if I chose to walk away, then I'd have no problem going mid-teir for a phone.

I just wouldnt be willing to go mid-teir on a tablet right now. For those, I'll stick with the big, known names.

I said it a few times but I am so delighted with my Moto G, granted I have never owned a top end phone to compare it to but it does everything I need and does it well. As a Yorkshireman I can't see any reason to spend 4 times as much for what would be a minimal gain in usability.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    I just wouldnt be willing to go mid-teir on a tablet right now. For those, I'll stick with the big, known names.
    Yeah probably with you on that too.. Tablets are doing a lot more these days and I can imagine either bottlenecks that become annoying.. Or useable lifespan being restricted..

Keen to see how Ubuntu tablets and ubuntu phone do.. Too little too late ??

I bought a Surface Pro when they first came out - love it! (Pro version)

Super productive, fast, great magnetic keyboard, Windows 8.1 runs fine. Ive just bought a 27" Lenovo "mega tablet" .. old stock reduced from USD 2,000 to USD 1,000. For looking at maps and map data i think it will be ideal.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CRXZLDO/...541860_TE_dp_1
    #MotoAsia - Ultimate motorcycle tours

Hey Phil, are there any decent Thai map/GPS apps you know of? I'd like to have one for the surface since it will be my "riding" computer... might come in handy to have a GPS app...

Heard good things about this but I haven't used it as I have a dedicated GPS..... (The link is deceptive, it takes you to Nostra Map App not Google translate 555)

Google Translate

^Thanks Bernie. I'll download when I get my new comp.

Sold the Surface 2 RT version to a coworker for $100 more than I paid, then used that money to buy a Surface 2 Pro 8g off Ebay. The cost difference was about $100 more, but I think I'll be a lot happier with the faster comp and the full version of windows, not to mention the ability to run whatever search engine I choose.