Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WarProfiteer

Thread: Motorbike and scooter reviews

Motorbike and scooter reviews

I've had a bit of a search and cant find any information on bikes and scooters typically used by BM's in Thailand, or all of Asia for that matter.
    Please merge this if there is one.
    Anyway, they are a much needed commodity in this area, and thought a thread could be helpful.

My question arises because I'm looking for a bike in Vietnam.
    Id like a motard style ride, but it really isn't practical for my needs at the moment so am looking at mid size engined scooters around 150CC.

Better storage than a motorbike and easy enough for the GF to ride as well.

I've only started to look and really don't know what's around....or at least the quality V cost etc.

My preference at the moment is a Honda SH150.

Anyone have any idea of what is coming up in 2015 in the 150CC range, or experience with the Honda?

Good machine and popular.

2015 PCX150 Overview - Honda Powersports

The 125i click is usually adequate for my needs in LOS. Pottering around Samui.

Honda Worldwide | January 10, 2012 "A.P. Honda Co., Ltd. to Release New Click 125i (125-cc scooter) in Thailand"

I can vouch for the 125i Click. I am even using it for long rides and not just for pottering around locally. It has more storage space that the 150cc ones.

My first bike in Thailand was a spankin new wine red PCX 125 right off the showroom floor in Kamala. Nels and Dodger helped me get it and I really liked that bike. The bigger bike felt better for 2 up, and occasional 3 up riding (*devils grin*).

When I moved to CM, I picked up a black Click 125i... mostly because it had the same engine and power of the PCX, but on a lighter bike and with the flat bottom design to haul cases of... water. And stuff. It was fine power-wise, but a bit smallish for me.

I only recently transferred my Click 125i to the fleet and bought a new bike... a 2014 PCX 150. OK, so it's just new to me, not really new... I picked it up as a 6 months old one at a deep discount. They're now 90K baht in the dealers and I paid 71K (after a week of neogtiating a little bit every day) for a 6 mos old one with 2,000 kms on the ODO. For the 2014 PCX 150, it is a bit more power than the 125 model, but not drastically so. The seat is more comfy. I like the re-design of the speedo & the new high intensity headlight.

I compared the PCX 150 to the SH150... I was ready to shell out the extra money for the SH150 if the shewok had asked for it. Instead her cheap charlie side showed up and said "I like the SH150 better for if I ride to school in a dress, but not worth it to pay so much more for that... I think PCX 150 for 71K is more smart". And that was that.

Overall, I'm happy with the PCX 150. Its def comfy for 2 people. And I dont look quite so much like a bear on a bicycle the way I did on the smaller Click. The PCX is just a bigger bike... so it looks more apropriate for bigger guys or for 2 up riding.

Just my opinion... worth every baht you've paid for it...
    Last edited by WarProfiteer; 12th January 2015 at 22:02.

I second every word that WP just spake! To me the PCX is just more bike, and while a LITTLE less nimble to park than a Click, not by much. Also for riding two-up, I find it much superior in ride, comfort, and handling. Haven't ridden the SH150 so nothing to offer there. FWIW, I ride a big bike (actually a small collection of them) when we're stateside, but I honestly can't say that any of my bikes would be better than a PCX for the way we actually live and travel (locally) when we're in Thailand. I hired a Ducati Monster for a few days a couple of years ago, just for grins, but unless you're going highway cruising, there's just no place to open it up, and in dense asian traffic like Patong, or BKK, it's too wide, a bugger to park, and no fun for stoplight to stoplight traffic. Yep, a PCX suits me fine, AND is eligible for "big bike" parking at Jungceylon.

Horses for courses they say….

I can chip in with a quick review of the Yamaha Nouvo 135. Don't buy this bike it is very noisy and suffers from chronic vibration and has quality issues, buy a PCX. The end.

Great info!

I like the PCX style as it's more like a bike than a scooter, but really find the flat floor storage etc of a scooter seems much easier/handier for life without a car boot (trunk) for carrying...whatever.
    It's why I'm leaning towards the SH...a family wagon 555

From the specs the SH has bigger 16" wheels (have only found specs on PCX at 14" but could be different in different countries?) which is also a positive for me so handling should be reasonable as well as tyre life.
    Although I admit scooters feel weird in tight fast turns to me in comparison to what I am used to riding...and I like a rear brake as a foot control.

Yeah, the 2014 model saw the wheel size of the PCX go from 13 inches to 14.

The Sh150 comes with 16.

I liked the idea of the bigger wheels and the flat bottom design, but in the end the PCX150 won out for me on price. In terms of retail cost, at full price the new PCX150 is supposed to run just below 90K baht. The SH150 is 10K more. In Thailand, there are tons of PCX's on the road, whereas you dont see a whole lot of SH's. The first year they came out (last year) they were priced at a ridiculous 120K baht. For 2014 the price has dropped by 20K, so I'm guessing we'll start seeing them more.

Honestly, of the 2 I probably like the SH more, but with price factored in and the unassailable truth that PCX would easily and comfortably meet all my needs, that's the way I went. I could have easily ended up with a SH if I'd have found one at the right price. I just happened to come across the deep discounted PCX at the time when I needed something and was looking to pull the trigger.

I didn't know we had the sh150 here now ?? What's the pricing here ?? 100k new ?? and in Vietnam ?? I have a memory of them being a bit of a shocker over there, much more than here.

My old lady has the pcx125 and its for sure more machine than the smaller scoots.. I still struggle to like it, but hard to actually find fault with it.. Huge under seat space in comparison and a slab of.. Water.. Can easily sit on the step and be held with the knees.. One silly omission is the lack of a hook point to hang a small grocery bag.. Every other scoot I owned had one, and I really miss that. Tiny thing but big usability point.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    One silly omission is the lack of a hook point to hang a small grocery bag.. Every other scoot I owned had one, and I really miss that. Tiny thing but big usability point.
    Same complaint I had with the Airblade.

But then, hanging them on the handlebars works.

^^ works but is far less stable and safe..

^Nels had an ingenious solution for that he taught me... use a caribner hooked through the middle of the handlebars. Used to work great. Not too often though that what I buy wont fit in that enormous underseat cavity.
    LivinLOS likes this.

Yeah I had one of those dog lead clips hanging there.. Still dont like things on the steering though..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Yeah I had one of those dog lead clips hanging there.. Still dont like things on the steering though..
    I kept it under the seat and only pulled it out when needed...

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    I kept it under the seat and only pulled it out when needed...
    no i mean when you attach the bags.. yes its central, so its not like on the handle part of the bars.. its just a niggling thing i dont care for with the pcx, which could have been fixed with a 100b screw hole to the frame.. Many people also said the same so not like an option others wouldnt want.

Oh yeah, absolutely a silly little oversight you'd have thought they would correct by now...

Well the decision was finally made to buy the SH150 over the PCX.

100% GF driven, but what the hell, happy wife, happy life as they say.

Anyway, I have to say it really is a good little scooter. A good size for a normal sized westerner so there's no tripping over it or handlebars hitting knees anymore in tight turns, and it has plenty enough power delivered smoothly for running around town and shorter jaunts along the highway.

Front and rear disk brakes and the only bike I saw (in VN - and really only Honda) that had full size "normal" bike tyres like you expect in the west on bigger bikes, rather than the skinny and rounded design scooter tyres on most.

Almost everything about it is good and works. A little bit of getting used to the indicator and horn buttons being opposite to the last bike I rode (one above the other as per usual, just in a different order) was about the only thing that wasn't immediately much better and a relief and joy to ride.

The little hook point for bags is stupidly placed too low, so IMHO renders it far less usable and is just annoying that they would do that when it could have been so much better, and the seat when opened and closed feels like the hinge is quite flimsy (wobbly) and it doesn't just fall into the right place for closing.
    I tested all the SH's in the shop and they were the same, so I assume it is robust enough and just the design....

Apparently they are the most desirable and stolen bike on the market (desirable by thieves I mean) as every single person that first saw it told us, so an optional extra immobilizer alarm system was also purchased for around US$200.

Interestingly the SH125 is exactly the same bike except for the displacement, so anyone wanting a cheaper version that still has the same quality ride and size should possibly look at it. I rode one for about 40 km's and it could have been the 150 except for responsiveness and what I felt was a little more centrifugal clutch slip - which I don't like, but many wouldn't even notice.