Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Blood Pressure Meds

Blood Pressure Meds

Any experiences?

Since turning 50 the medical proffession has started getting interested in me. One of the things they have picked up on is high blood pressure ( big surprise! ) and they are fairly keen to put me on tablets. I'm a bit spooked because they are for life so I'm wondering what on earth they do to you that stops you coming off them.

Well if you can, lower your BP thru diet, exercise and lifestyle changes... the only thing that keeps you needing BP tablets is thru lack of changing the issues causing the high BP... did your doctor not talk to you about diet and lifestyle changes first? BP tablets should be a last resort, not a first resort, but so many doctors seem to get it back to front...
    Last edited by Waharoa; 19th January 2015 at 03:14.

I've made huge changes to both diet and lifestyle and my hope is that it will come right naturally. My BMI is good ( 'super spot on' were his words ) and all the salt/sugar/garbage has gone from my diet. It's hard to get away from the stresses of work though; that's the one thing I can't change at the moment.

They seem a bit too keen to throw pills at the problem to me and the idea of taking something every day forever spooks me as I say. I'm curious about what the meds do to you that means you can't stop taking them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    I've made huge changes to both diet and lifestyle and my hope is that it will come right naturally. My BMI is good ( 'super spot on' were his words ) and all the salt/sugar/garbage has gone from my diet. It's hard to get away from the stresses of work though; that's the one thing I can't change at the moment.

They seem a bit too keen to throw pills at the problem to me and the idea of taking something every day forever spooks me as I say. I'm curious about what the meds do to you that means you can't stop taking them.
    Interested as to why you say you can't stop taking them once you start? My mum was on Statins... and we got her off those evil drugs simply by changing her diet and getting her walking every day. The stress thing is a bugger though... as hard to change that if work related etc...

My old man, being the big girl's blouse he is, believes he suffers from White Coat Syndrome. When he gets checked for his BP at the Drs surgery it's high. But he eats very healthy, doesn't smoke, is a keen rambler and only drinks a little so he did't believe it so bought a blood presser checker machine (don't know the proper name ) and when done at home, without the Dr around it's bang in the normal range. The Dr said it happens to a lot of people, and if he keeps checking at home and is consistently within the normal range the Dr is happy with that and says he doesn't need the meds.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    My old man, being the big girl's blouse he is, believes he suffers from White Coat Syndrome. When he gets checked for his BP at the Drs surgery it's high. But he eats very healthy, doesn't smoke, is a keen rambler and only drinks a little so he did't believe it so bought a blood presser checker machine (don't know the proper name ) and when done at home, without the Dr around it's bang in the normal range. The Dr said it happens to a lot of people, and if he keeps checking at home and is consistently within the normal range the Dr is happy with that and says he doesn't need the meds.
    I'm the same. I take my BP at home when relaxed... it's always high when a doctor takes it... 55
    LivinLOS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Interested as to why you say you can't stop taking them once you start? My mum was on Statins... and we got her off those evil drugs simply by changing her diet and getting her walking every day. The stress thing is a bugger though... as hard to change that if work related etc...
    That's what the doc said to me when we discussed it. My feeling is that the diet will do the trick, particularly cutting salt out - the damn stuff is everywhere, and my lifestyle is fairly healthy apart from the stressy work stuff; early starts, lots of driving yada yada and I'm a born worrier so stress is a fairly constant feature.

I think statins is what they are using to medicate high BP are they not? I thought they were a 'wonder drug', why are they evil?

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    555 I think 'blood presser checker machine' is close enough

That's what the doc said to me when we discussed it. My feeling is that the diet will do the trick, particularly cutting salt out - the damn stuff is everywhere, and my lifestyle is fairly healthy apart from the stressy work stuff; early starts, lots of driving yada yada and I'm a born worrier so stress is a fairly constant feature.

I think statins is what they are using to medicate high BP are they not? I thought they were a 'wonder drug', why are they evil?
    Well they treat high cholesterol... but doctors give them out to people with high BP even if their cholesterol levels are not high. Then there is the debate of what constitutes high cholesterol, as there are good and bad types etc... Plus the side effects are also common and pretty bad...

If you can lower your BP without drugs... do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    If you can lower your BP without drugs... do it.
    That's my instinct too; thanks for insight.

I used to have fairly high BP but as soon as I went low carb it went completely normal pretty much instantly has remained normal for six years so far.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdickgus View Post
    I used to have fairly high BP but as soon as I went low carb it went completely normal pretty much instantly has remain normal for six years so far.
    So what does a low carb diet consist of? I've tackled the diet thing pretty thoroughly I think but am always interested in thoughts about stuff I may have missed.

I stopped eating meat around 3 years ago. I do eat fish, not much though. I've cut salt out to the point where I'm almost allergic to it so that is almost an end to processed food ( can't resist beans on toast from time to time tho ). I've cut sugar out too so no sweetened drinks although I do use quite a bit of honey. As much fat as I can see has gone, broke my heart to get rid of butter, although I still cook with veg oil. I cut white bread out too and miss it terribly.

What I do eat is plenty of fresh veg, though not so much fruit. Quite a lot of dairy so semi-skimmed milk, lots of eggs and probably more cheese than I should. Hardly any pasta or rice, plenty of oats ( porridge ) and quite a lot of fruit juice.

Nels has been following a low processed/refined carbs diet. A good list here of what processed carbs are...

Processed Carbohydrates

I'm pretty good there, very little of that list in my diet.
    Waharoa likes this.

I went through a series of different blood pressure meds, trying to find one that was effective without causing side effects. They all caused side effects, some more obnoxious than others. I finally gave up on the meds and just stick with diet and exercise, generally the way to better health anyway.

If you're reducing your carbs, you'll also want to go easy on fruit juice. Fruits are actually carbohydrates, just not as high glycemic as starches or sugars. Plus many packaged fruit juices have added sugar.

I'll try to keep this in mind when responding to you in the free speech thread. One might say my words could infringe on your right to life! 55555

Joking aside, I am impressed on your described diet. No easy task.
    Steve@thaib likes this.

Also maybe garlic capsules might be worth throwing into the mix with the exercise and diet.... Garlic for Hypertension - National Library of Medicine - PubMed Health

So what does a low carb diet consist of? I've tackled the diet thing pretty thoroughly I think but am always interested in thoughts about stuff I may have missed.

I stopped eating meat around 3 years ago. I do eat fish, not much though. I've cut salt out to the point where I'm almost allergic to it so that is almost an end to processed food ( can't resist beans on toast from time to time tho ). I've cut sugar out too so no sweetened drinks although I do use quite a bit of honey. As much fat as I can see has gone, broke my heart to get rid of butter, although I still cook with veg oil. I cut white bread out too and miss it terribly.

What I do eat is plenty of fresh veg, though not so much fruit. Quite a lot of dairy so semi-skimmed milk, lots of eggs and probably more cheese than I should. Hardly any pasta or rice, plenty of oats ( porridge ) and quite a lot of fruit juice.
    My diet is Meat, eggs, dairy, non starchy veges, nuts, herbs, spices and lots of salt(plus red wine,low carb beer, vodka, tequila,90% cacao chocolate).
    Need salt because high insulin makes your kidneys hold onto sodium, with low insulin you excrete sodium freely and can go to low BP.

Quote Originally Posted by davis121 View Post
    Also maybe garlic capsules might be worth throwing into the mix with the exercise and diet.... Garlic for Hypertension - National Library of Medicine - PubMed Health
    Ordered some of those; got to be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdickgus View Post
    My diet is Meat, eggs, dairy, non starchy veges, nuts, herbs, spices and lots of salt(plus red wine,low carb beer, vodka, tequila,90% cacao chocolate).
    Need salt because high insulin makes your kidneys hold onto sodium, with low insulin you excrete sodium freely and can go to low BP.
    Really, really surprised at the salt; I thought that was killer No1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast