Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Circumcision

Circumcision

Continued from the "Please mock the Muslim prophet" thread:

I mentioned circumcision of women and the strange thing that we find that appalling while we accept circumcision of boys [1]. That resulted in a couple of comments in favour of circumcision of boys. Rather than pollution that thread, I will answer here, even though the procedure is not that far fetched in a thread about behaviour from the medieval times.

When I am against circumcision of boys as well as girls, it is precisely because it is boys and girls - that is: Not adults. When grown up, they are welcome to mutilate their own bodies as they please, be it circumcision, tattoos, or piercing.

Surely you guys do not suggest that tattoos and piercing of infants should be allowed, even if it can be done without complications?

According to Evilbaz (A rare case of a journalist making sense on islamic terrorism...) circumcision is good because it can make you not come too quickly. Wikipedia does not agree with that (Circumcision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), but actually, I do. There are studies indicating that it do affect the sensation in the penis, making it harder to come (Male circumcision and sexual function in men and women: a survey-based, cross-sectional study in Denmark). Please note, that not all men come too quickly, and for those that don't, circumcision is not necessary a good thing. Not for the men nor for the women.

Besides, it is not a harmless procedure. There are complications in 1-3 percent of the operations. And that is the ones in hospitals where the procedures are documented, and where they have the facilities to do something about the complications. There are no statistics from the many circumcisions that take place in less optimal settings - it is not unheard of that the penis is mutilated and may never work as intended by evolution.

[1] Not every society accept circumcision of infant boys. As far as I understand, it is not allowed in Germany, and there have been a public debate for a ban in Denmark as well.
    Last edited by Greatdane; 6th February 2015 at 00:33. Reason: Clarified that the comments in favour of circumcision in the other thread is regarding boys. Second paragraph in italic.

I dont think male and female circumcision (lets face it genital mutilation) really comes close to each other..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I dont think male and female circumcision (lets face it genital mutilation) really comes close to each other..
    Agree, the woman one is much worse, but that does not - in my eyes - make the other one ok. Again, grown ups can do whatever they please (women and men). I am talking about the kids here.

And relating to the other thread, female genital mutilation is currently occurring in Christian African nations as well. So these are more cultural, geographical issues rather than religious.

It's unfortunate that they carry the same name because they are apples and pears really. There are ( hygiene, functionality ) arguments for male circumcision and the reality is that males are left fully functional afterwards. There appear to be zero justifications in female scenarios other than cultural and the female is left mutilated and not fully functional. Really not fair to compare the two.
    Last edited by Steve@thaib; 6th February 2015 at 01:39.

This thread should be deleted immediately.

OP and any justifying/supporting/rationalizing posters for female circumcision should just be banned immediately as well - total sickness of the brain to make a comparison. I hope this forum has some moral standards and limits.
    Last edited by Robaht; 6th February 2015 at 00:20.

Sorry Robaht but did I miss something?
    Everybody here is strongly against female circumcision but there is a difference in opinion about male circumcision. Some here are against male circumcision when it is done to young children.
    Personally, I have no problem with male circumcision if it happens in a hospital by qualified doctors /surgeons, sometimes it is even necesessary. But I have problems when it is done by non medical qualified people in some religions.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Sorry Robaht but did I miss something?
    Everybody here is strongly against female circumcision .
    This is an insane false-premise thread to even compare the horrifying, brutal mutilation of a pre-adolescent female (or baby girl) to a standard medical procedure for males, normally performed in a hospital for infant boys. I think go ahead discuss the pro/cons of male circumcision if you want, plenty of sites do, but trying to compare it to female circumcision on any sane level should result in a deleted thread, imo. WTF, have some class.

Quote Originally Posted by Robaht View Post
    This is an insane false-premise thread to even compare the horrifying, brutal mutilation of a pre-adolescent female (or baby girl) to a standard medical procedure for males, normally performed in a hospital for infant boys. I think go ahead discuss the pro/cons of male circumcision if you want, plenty of sites do, but trying to compare it to female circumcision on any sane level should result in a deleted thread, imo. WTF, have some class.
    But it's mostly done for religious reasons. I don't think anyone is saying they are comparable.. however just because the female version is so horrific doesn't make the male one a non-issue. I think you have over-reacted somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    But it's mostly done for religious reasons. I don't think anyone is saying they are comparable.. however just because the female version is so horrific doesn't make the male one a non-issue. I think you have over-reacted somewhat.
    I don't think it's "mostly" done for religious reasons, at least not in the US. I have 2 boys and both were snipped because the doctor advised it for hygiene reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    the doctor advised it for hygiene reasons.
    And if you happen to know any adult men who've had to have it done - you'll know they wished it was done when they were much younger !
    Evilbaz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by obes View Post
    And if you happen to know any adult men who've had to have it done - you'll know they wished it was done when they were much younger !
    A pal of mine had it done and it seemed pretty uncomfortable. 27 stitches ( in the end of your best mate FFS! ) and sit down pisses for six weeks. I never asked but i'm pretty sure he would have preferred it as early as poss...

I don't think it's "mostly" done for religious reasons, at least not in the US. I have 2 boys and both were snipped because the doctor advised it for hygiene reasons.
    I must admit I checked Wikipedia as wasn't sure... it said excluding TNLawyers two kids, most are done for religious reasons.. 55

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    I must admit I checked Wikipedia as wasn't sure... it said excluding TNLawyers two kids, most are done for religious reasons.. 55
    555 seriously though...I know a lot of folks with kids and I'd be shocked if religion drove their decision to circumcise their boys. I realize it's mentioned in the Bible, but I think the whole religious aspect of it is way overblown. Hell, my wife has 2 boys of her own. They were both snipped and she's a Buddhist. Hygiene was the reason she gave as well.

555 seriously though...I know a lot of folks with kids and I'd be shocked if religion drove their decision to circumcise their boys. I realize it's mentioned in the Bible, but I think the whole religious aspect of it is way overblown. Hell, my wife has 2 boys of her own. They were both snipped and she's a Buddhist. Hygiene was the reason she gave as well.
    It makes sense. Would be the only reason I would have had it done. Though never had any problems not having it done... 55

From Wiki, so who knows if true...

The procedure is most often an elective surgery performed on neonates and children for religious and cultural reasons,[1] but in other cases may be indicated for both therapeutic and prophylactic reasons.

The positions of the world's major medical organizations range from considering neonatal circumcision as having no benefit and significant risks to having a modest health benefit that outweighs small risks. No major medical organization recommends either universal circumcision for all infant males (aside from the recommendations of the World Health Organization for parts of Africa), or banning the procedure.[7] Ethical and legal questions regarding informed consent and autonomy have been raised over non-therapeutic neonatal circumcision.

Circumcision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^Yeah I'd say we can tackle the ethics of neonatal circumcision after we've solved the climate change and Islamic terrorist problems 55
    Waharoa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Robaht View Post
    This thread should be deleted immediately.

OP and any justifying/supporting/rationalizing posters for female circumcision should just be banned immediately as well - total sickness of the brain to make a comparison. I hope this forum has some moral standards and limits.
    I dont see advocates.. And I dont see it as a subject beyond discussion..

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    A pal of mine had it done and it seemed pretty uncomfortable. 27 stitches ( in the end of your best mate FFS! ) and sit down pisses for six weeks. I never asked but i'm pretty sure he would have preferred it as early as poss...
    However, it is not without pain when an infant - only, you may not remember it when grown up. This study actually find a correlation between circumcision and autism:
    Ritual circumcision and risk of autism spectrum disorder in 0- to 9-year-old boys: national cohort study in Denmark
    They speculate that the pain could be the trigger.
    Last edited by Greatdane; 6th February 2015 at 08:01. Reason: Added the last line.

Hygiene was the reason she gave as well.
    Yes, that is the prevalent reason in the US. Outside the US, religion/tradition is the prevalent reason.

This discussion reminds me of that old jingle from the early days of the Iranian Navy....

"Cabin boy, oh cabin boy.

You sneaky little nipper.

You lined your ass, with broken glass.

And circumcised the skipper."
    tnlawyer likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast