Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By LivinLOS

Thread: 5K iMac

5K iMac

So I have been trying my hand a little bit at dslr video. This led to the realization that while I have been begrudgingly getting away with doing all my photo editing in Lightroom on my 4 year old MacBook Air with a Dell 24" monitor, it simply was not going to cut it rendering video.

Also, since the baby keeps us indoors more than we like, my wife and I are constantly jockeying for position with only one computer in the house. We have a tablet but somehow that just doesn't seem to cut it, and frankly the rug rat pretty much owns it.

So given all of this I was in the market for another computer.

Since I mainly use it for 3 things, photography (editing), video, and arguing with Greatdane and SDK 555, I naturally gravitated towards the higher end. Looking around on the internets, I noticed that the Dell 5K monitor retails for $2500. Since the iMac 5K was the same price, and some people doing some serious 4K video editing seemed to be getting along just fine using it, I figured that at the same price as a monitor it would be a decent choice. Keeps me on the same platform as well.

I know apple products are frowned upon here, and I understand why, but I have been pretty happy with my Air that I have been using for the last 4 years.

So I picked up the stock iMac 5K earlier this afternoon.

First impressions are good. 5120x2880 is just ridiculous resolution at 27". 4K video on it with eyes a foot or so away from the monitor is stunning. Being able to edit photos in near full size is helpful as well.

I also subscribed to the Adobe creative cloud versions of Photoshop and Lightroom. I was skeptical of this type of thing at first but at $9.99 per month it is kind of a no brainer. It installs the full software on your local machine which costs $850 to buy and costs $$ if you buy and want to upgrade.

Anyway, happy so far. Will update after I tax it a bit with Premiere/Final Cut and DaVinci Resolve.

I have not used an iMac before until recently. The screen is just mind blowing !! So is the price tag !!!

Unless i do a lot of Photoshop or video stuff, i doubt i will get one. Just out of my budget.

5K iMac

The 5k display on the new iMac is quite nice. I was looking at those a while ago as I was getting ready to replace my trust 2004 G5 Powermac. However, I've gotten used to running dual displays (both of which are now Eizo ColorGraphics), and eventually got a Mac Pro tower. All happy so far. The Continuity features of the desktop and mobile OS integrate pretty seamlessly between my iPhone 6, iPad, MacBook Air and the Mac Pro.

I also bit the bullet and signed up for PS and Lightroom CC. I do most of my editing in LR, but still need PS for heavier post processing from time to time.
    Last edited by BroTiger; 16th February 2015 at 14:25.

Just ordered a IMAC 27" best home working machine for me ever
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

One more thing to consider is your file backup scheme. I use both Time Machine and Super Duper to make two independent backups of all my user data. Thunderbolt external drives are a good way to go, since they can be daisy chained.

Shouldnt this be in the frugal thread
    slimbag, Dkdude and kuhio like this.

I did order one with 3 tb memory,then also use a air port extreme with 2 tb disc,then you both have space and back up.and also tip top connection both on wifi and cabel connection

Use the imac as a center in a music server system ,works well
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

Apple iMac with Retina 5K display review (late 2014) (Wired UK)

"It goes to 11" lol

Enjoying it so far but do have one gripe. The develop module in lightroom is laggy when you use the whole screen and you are running in 5K res.

Looked it up and apparently the problem is with Lightroom. Adobe needs to update the software to handle rendering in realtime with that many pixels displayed. They are not taking advantage of the GPU apparently. Rumor from Adobe is that they will fix this in Lightroom 6. Heres hoping that's true, its kind of a big negative considering what most people are buying this system for.

Scrubbing through 4K video displayed at full size in realtime is pretty sweet.

It's definitely meant to serve the photog, video, niche. If you are a browsing the internet/working in office type, you are not going to be using the resolution, unless you want to make yourself blind or sit with your nose about 1 inch from the screen, the text is just so small at that res.