Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Mobile Phone Etiquette

Mobile Phone Etiquette

Sainsbury's apologises to mobile customer refused service

The customer, Jo Clarke, was told her shopping would not be processed until she had finished talking on her phone.Sainsbury's has apologised to a customer who was refused service by a checkout worker until she had ended her mobile phone call.
    Ms Clarke was shopping at the chain's branch in Crayford, south east London.
    Sainsbury's said in a statement to the BBC: "We have apologised to Ms Clarke. It isn't our policy to not serve customers who are using a mobile."
    Ms Clarke said: "I ended my call swiftly and said to the lady on the checkout 'Apologies, I didn't realise that it was Sainsbury's policy that you are unable to use your phone at the checkout', and she said 'Well, you learn something new every day'."
    She spoke to the customer service desk at the store and was told then the move was not company policy.
    Ms Clarke said she would be transferring her custom to a nearby branch of the rival supermarket Waitrose.
    Sainsbury's is trying to offer her a 10 shopping voucher by way of redress for the incident which it said took place this Monday, but it needed her to contact the company.
    It said: "We offered a 10 voucher at the time. Ms Clarke hasn't responded to date with her address which we need so we can send it to her."

I think it's incredibly rude and disrespectful to use your phone while interacting with a service provider(as i'm just typing I just realised I am guilty of this but involving a very different kind of service!). I think the check-out person was in their rights to insist on waiting until she ended the call. I hope they didn't get disciplined over it.

Would you complain if someone refused to deal with you while you were on your phone?

Not sure, but I do get offended if I'm out for dinner with some friends and some of them can't leave their I phone or tablet alone for one minute....

Self important, pretentious, took me a few minutes to think of a descriptive word for these idiots.

On a quiet tropical beach three days ago, this woman carried on a conversation at the top of her voice.
    Why she used a cell phone was beyond me. I'm certain they would have heard her in Moscow without the phone she was that loud.

The customer is always right

The checkout girl was still quite able to continue her duties without the lady having to cease her call. I imagine the lady would not have complained if it weren't for the sarcastic 'learn something every day' comment

That is not the employee's choice. She has to follow the rules of her employer or she can work somewhere else.

If the phone call didn't slow down the transaction, I don't see the problem. However if she was dragging it out because of the phone call, I would have been annoyed as well.

K2
    Hope none of you are posting while on your phones!
    Its My Life .....!

I think if the customer was asked a question or questions by the CC and didn't answer or ignored her the CC would be quite within her rights to stop the processing....however despite it running a little against my idea of ettiquite to be on the phone when face to face with a server I don't think in this instance the CC was right to refuse service.....its not something I would do on either side of the coin ie approach a CC on the phone or refuse service for being on the phone provided I was answered if I needed direction...

as Mr Picky said the added attitude of "learn something new everyday" would get your back up...but I don't think I would want the world to know I was on the phone when dealing with a CC by shouting poor form (when guilty of it myself) either

I agree the check-out person probably wound her up with the smart arse reply.

Apart from the bad manners I get annoyed if I'm in a queue behind someone on a phone because I know they're not going to have their cash/card ready at the till and I'm going to be unnecessarily delayed because of it. I must be getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I agree the check-out person probably wound her up with the smart arse reply.

Apart from the bad manners I get annoyed if I'm in a queue behind someone on a phone because I know they're not going to have their cash/card ready at the till and I'm going to be unnecessarily delayed because of it. I must be getting old.
    and that is exactly why the clerk did what they did
    because 9 out of 10 times, someone one their phone holds up the line

also, anyone ever notice women never get their money/card ready until the checkout is finished?
    every fcukign time they wait until told how much it is and then start searching in their bag! drives me bananas!!
    get your money or card out while the clerk is ringing up the purchases
    Dkdude and WarProfiteer like this.

Nothing to do with policy its just manners plain and simple , Ive done something similar in my job, guy asks me to do something whilst waffling away about nothing on his phone then he says about ten seconds later yeh is that done mate and I said il do it when you are finished your call, he turned a fairly dark shade of purple and finished his call fairly fast , I didnt say it smart arse like just calm and routinely. I think its the height of ignorance to spend all night texting whilst in someone elses company. I said it to a girl one night why the fk dont u go out with the people u spend all njght texting? She just looked at me and probably posted something on facebook about it.

I read this story on the Daily Mail website earlier. The comments and thousands of 'thumbs up' were completely and unanimously against this customer. Rightly so. Whether you're the customer or the server, it's rude to be on your phone. While Sainsbury's may be apologising publically, I doubt (hope) nothing will happen to the check out girl in private. The customer isn't always right; this is a statement that has always irritated me! Treat others as you'd wish to be treated yourself, that is how it should be. Whatever happened to basic good manners?

A few years back, I was sitting in a quiet neighborhood bar late one evening, "decompressing" after work with a cocktail (a few 555) and a game of video poker.

There was just myself, the bartender, and another gentleman sitting at the opposite end of the bar. Soft music playing in the background and I was enjoying a pleasant sense of calm, peace, and quiet.

The door flew open and in walked some "yuppie prick", in a blaring loud conversation on his cellphone. I stared at him with contempt as he continued his shouting loud conversation, on his cell. I noticed that the other patron was also aggravated as he was also giving the evil eye to the jerk! This asshole even shouted at the bartender to bring him a "chabli"!

That did it!

I calmly got out of my seat and proceeded to walk toward the guy. Since I (and everyone else) couldn't help but hear his conversation, I heard him say to his cellphone mate as I approached "I dunno', he's been looking at me and now he's coming over here...I think he must like me, ha, ha, ha."

I stood over him, face to face, and said "I don't like you and I wish you'd either hang up, or take your call outside."

He spoke into the cellphone saying "I guess he's a phone-a-phobic or something". (as if I weren't really there)

This time I said angrily "Shut the fcuk up and take your call outside....pleeeze". He replied with some kind of defiant sissy retort like "who made you the king of the bar"?

At that, I snatched the cellphone from his hand and threw it against the wall. 555

He shrieked and tried to push his chair away from me as I asked him if he understood now? 555

With almost a teary eyed look, he turned to the bartender for support. Kathy (bartender, and my friend) took his drink away and said "I think you and your phone better find another bar". 5555

The guy picked up the pieces of his phone and left.

I guess that I'd just lost my patience with the inconsiderate cell phone people!
    Last edited by Pablo; 4th July 2013 at 03:51.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post

also, anyone ever notice women never get their money/card ready until the checkout is finished?
    every fcukign time they wait until told how much it is and then start searching in their bag! drives me bananas!!
    get your money or card out while the clerk is ringing up the purchases
    It's like a surprise, like they are not expecting to have to pay isn't it? 'Oh, you want money?? Gee, I didn't see that coming'

Yes, one of my pet hates, and it is only women who do it. When they open their bag & get their handbag out, open their handbag & get their purse out, open their purse & count the money out & then start fishing around for a few pennies to give the exact money, I wonder if they are afraid of being mugged in the supermarket ?, rather than being completely unaware of whats going on

Quote Originally Posted by jaynewcastle11 View Post
    Yes, one of my pet hates, and it is only women who do it. When they open their bag & get their handbag out, open their handbag & get their purse out, open their purse & count the money out & then start fishing around for a few pennies to give the exact money, I wonder if they are afraid of being mugged in the supermarket ?, rather than being completely unaware of whats going on
    I've always thought that Russian doll system of a purse in a pocket of handbag in a shoulder bag was self defeating as a security measure. They spend so long getting at their cash it's obvious to the dumbest thief where exactly it is and all that time they're unaware of their surroundings allowing a pick-pocket to get up close enough that when they look up to pay a cashier a decent thief could rifle their bag quiet easily.

Plus it's really annoying being stuck behind them in queue.

The woman in the OP might just have been my worst queuing nightmare. 'A woman on a mobile phone rooting through half a dozen zips and latches to get at a load of change'.

Some idiots do it on planes too to, yep i'm just walking down the ramp to the plane right now.

On the flip side, I hate it when the counter person talks on their cell while I try to check out. Happens all the time with the Indians and Persions here in the states. Fucking rude.

i know that on emirates this year i will be allowed to use my tablet and phone a charge of 5-75 a leg,i not talk on the phone but maybe talk on tango or skype ,look where i am type of thing

Quote Originally Posted by steve w View Post
    i know that on emirates this year i will be allowed to use my tablet and phone a charge of 5-75 a leg,i not talk on the phone but maybe talk on tango or skype ,look where i am type of thing
    As long as they don't allow phone calls I will be happy

" you'll never guess where I'm calling your from ..... A PLANE !!! , yes really ... Etc etc " as they go through their contacts one by one ...
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    As long as they don't allow phone calls I will be happy

" you'll never guess where I'm calling your from ..... A PLANE !!! , yes really ... Etc etc " as they go through their contacts one by one ...
    ....And Pablo in the seat behind them about to fly into a phone-a-phobic air rage!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast