Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr. Smiley
  • 2 Post By LivinLOS
  • 4 Post By LivinLOS

Thread: Australian expat charged with murder

Australian expat charged with murder

PHUKET: Lawyers aim to apply for bail today for Australian expat Mark Pendlebury, charged with murder over the death of a security guard after a fight outside a Phuket nightclub early yesterday.

Video Supports Aussie Facing Patong Murder Charge: Phuket Lawyers to Seek Bail - Phuket Wan

I have met Mark a couple of times and have been on his Sailing tour.

Hopefully the video will help him.

looks like he did it according to those reports though, told the reporter he took his knife out and waved it around?

I have embedded here to make it easier..............not sure whether I dont eat enough carrots but really cant work out fcuk all from this clip and watched it twice now !

It suggests he was defending himself against a mob. Why he had a knife is anyone's guess, but he had it, and was faced by a mob, so you probably would try and defend yourself any way you can.

Agree that video is terrible quality but hopefully what happened is as what he described and witnesses can back him up.

Well even if he was to somehow be released... surely there would be reprisals coming his way. As for the mob, didn't he stab a security guard that was trying to stop him from filming the incident between the guards and the tourists...

Still... even I've had some close encounters when Thais are about to go loco on a Farang... they usually warn me in Thai to "go home".... which when the red mist happens is a very good idea to stay clear.
    soupdragon likes this.

Note the mention of Fred Aakerlund......who is the disabled guy beaten up from his wheel-chair on Beach Road.

I think Lil posted it a few days back.....coincidence?

The only link I have seen made is that Mark may have been overly aware of the potential for more random violence on tourists having become close to Fred, (taking him out on his boat etc), and being of that mind jumped in when maybe he shouldn't have. Doesn't help that all the tourist police are feuding with the local cops and aren't even on the street right now.

One thing that is clear from the clip is that he did go across the road to film what was happening in the first instance.....then if he gets attacked and reacts in self-defence, would it be manslaughter or murder ??? not sure how the Thai legal system works with this but I guess not favourably to falangs!

Mark Pendlebury charged with stabbing murder in Thailand

Carrying a knife doesn't put him in a good light IMO..............I've had a few incidences in Thailand, but carrying a weapon is still the last thing I would do.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

No Plans to Interview Patong Tuk-Tuk Drivers, Says Phuket Murder Investigator - Phuket Wan

Not jumping straight to his defense, carry a knife and killing someone with it, is hard to justify..

It is sounding more and more like they set on him, gave him a stomping, and in the melee he stabbed killed one of the attackers while trying to defend himself.

The fact hes been given pretty cheap bail is also telling.. I wonder if thats a Thai way of saying, go on, leg it..

PTG
    Hopefully there will be some better video, but this clip makes it pretty clear that he was being set upon. The original reports in the gazette and thephuketnews sure was pretty piss poor, repeating only one side of the story by saying the Aussie was drunk and threatening according to the good hearted Thais.

From what I've heard the Rotary Club has hired a top notch lawyer to defend him. But regardless of the outcome I think he's pretty much done on Phuket. No way you can get away with killing a Thai an expecting nothing to come of it.

Why hasn't this trouble 'Hot Spot' got an array of high quality cameras covering it ?

^If there were actually video of any decent quality, then you'd be able to make out the perpetrators and the police might have to actually do something... and that just cant be allowed to happen. If they can propose a ban on helmets, they can also ban cameras... it's the only logical thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    Why hasn't this trouble 'Hot Spot' got an array of high quality cameras covering it ?
    This exact spot is one of the reasons why the volunteers went on strike, the camera that was pointed there has been turned away, so as not to record the actions of the tai pan bouncers.

Of course, they are now back to work, and the camera still points the other way.
    Changone and soupdragon like this.

Video evidence shall be banned!

It's buried in the new Thai constitution, but it's there...
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    This exact spot is one of the reasons why the volunteers went on strike, the camera that was pointed there has been turned away, so as not to record the actions of the tai pan bouncers.

Of course, they are now back to work, and the camera still points the other way.
    Looks like in an effort to conceal their own heavy handed behaviour this has now backfired exactly because one of them tried to stop some freelance recording and ended up being killed over it.

The police has dropped the charges against the Australian, as the CCTV footage showed that he was attacked and only used the knife as self defence. The case has now been sent to the Public Prosecutor to see if he agree with the police.

Police drop case against Aussie expat charged for Phuket killing

Gotta love this combination of lines too..

Camera Clears Phuket Expat in Patong Attack - Phuket Wan

The footage is so conclusive that the mother and wife of a security guard stabbed to death in the skirmish that began outside a disco agreed after viewing the video that no blame could be attached to Mr Pendlebury.
    After further talks, the family agreed to accept 1.2 million baht in compensation. Mr Pendlebury had already paid 100,000 baht to cover the cremation expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Gotta love this combination of lines too..

Camera Clears Phuket Expat in Patong Attack - Phuket Wan
    Proving yet again that Phuket has the best justice system that money can buy.

Not that I think the guy is guilty, just seems typical that he's found not guilty at the same time as money changes hands.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.