Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By faultytowers

Thread: The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger

its funny...I almost didn't go to see this today as I looked quickly for a review and found one which absolutely panned it...said it was plain odd and was in the same overbloated budget/under delivered experience as Waterworld...Waterworld FFS...maybe I should just stay in

Its directed by Gore Verbisi, produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and stars Jonny Depp so yeah it does smack of the "Pirates of the Carribean" Trilogy more than a bit but isn't that a good thing?

I don't want to get into spoiler territory here but I will say that the story is about a railroad being built through Injun country, has goodies, baddies, widdas (no they don't tie her to the railroad tracks...muaaaah haaaah), marshalls, injuns, spitting, dynamite, silver, eating hearts out, dragging an unconscious man's head through horseshit, chinamen, railroad workers, railroad "men", clever (and beautiful) horses, stunt riding, funny hats and two of the best action scenes I have seen in recent times...both involving runaway trains and both easily followed and thoroughly enjoyed without any obvious CGIs (thank fuck fer that)

Rather than odd I would call it quirky...quirky in the same way Jack Sparrow is quirky...in fact Depp's Tonto alters little from his Sparrow here IMO apart from the fact he has a scarf and a blackbird on his head this time rather than a scarf and a 3 cornered hat....Armie Hammer as TLR is hammy (well that's his name I guess)...very hammy....so much so that I kept thinking that it was Brendan Fraser from The Mummy up there on that white charger...the trusted Tom Wilkinson delivers the good straight guy villain very well and William Fichtner relishes his role as the snarley faced Snidely Whiplash villain..and their are some other good cameo performances as well

it's a long film (2 hours 20 mins iirc) and does kinda drift in and out a bit...but Depp's presence holds it together (mostly) and those two railroad action scenes are worth the price of admission alone..its humorous rather than funny....more smiles than belly laughs...and it has a bit of a the high camp to it in the same way POTC does

its really only a 6.5 as its patchy...but hell I enjoyed the hoot and the romp once they got going...however I do love a good western
    Last edited by nelsonone; 5th July 2013 at 22:54.

Hell of a long, detailed preview for a 6.5 Nels... I may give it a watch just because of your effort... 555

Good Reveiw Nelson, I'm just worn out on Johnny Depp. IMO, he's become another McDonald's of actors. Zzzzzzz

Did see the trailer for this a few times on recent visits to the cinema, I didn't quite get if the film was meant to be serious or not. Don't think its worth the 10 to see.

I'm not going to see it. I don't care how well Nel's writes...

Yea between this and pirates of the Caribbean 99 I am all done with Depp.
    Used to love him but he has gone from decent actor to dollar sellout.

So the Lone Ranger is pretty much Dead man in colour. And he's the Indian... Don't care though. I'm a Depp fanboy. I'll go see it just for that 555

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Good Reveiw Nelson, I'm just worn out on Johnny Depp. IMO, he's become another McDonald's of actors. Zzzzzzz
    Dunno, he was a brilliant Mad Hatter. And Sweeney Todd? Rum Diarrhea?
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

I'll probably catch this, but no hurry. I'm not sick of Depp because I didn't see any of the Pirates of the Caribbean flicks.....and I love westerns.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    Armie Hammer as TLR is hammy (well that's his name I guess)
    Did his parents have a fetish about baking soda or toothpaste when the named him Armand Hammer!

geir likes this.

Saw it this evening and I couldnt review it in any more accurate or detailed terms than Nels already has. You walk away with the feeling of "that was odd... but enjoyable"... it isnt a great film, but it's solid and entertaining and there's no real weaknesses either. Everything works. Appropriate credit is even given to TLR heritage. Obviously it's Tonto that steals the show... why else would Depp play him and not the man himself? But overall it was a great flick and everyone played their part to the right degree. Hell, even my friend who grew up watching TLR from the age of 6 in Perth thought it was a great film... kept whistling and clapping at the credits. If he were writing this, it'd probably be a 9/10. Because I like off-kilter characters, I'd give it a solid 7.5/10... worth paying paying theater prices to see, in my book. When I think of the infinite number of ways this film could've gone wrong, I'm pretty impressed at the final product. I went in with no expectations and came out with a big grin on my face saying "that was interesting!"... money well spent, and I dont say that lightly.