Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Which Smart TV?

Which Smart TV?

Strolled through Future Today, lots of specials on Large screen TVs.

What brand is best nowadays?

I bought my first flat screen TV a couple of months ago, I have no experience except with that one - and that one, I will strongly warn against, it's a Phillips.

The logo on the front of the panel has light in it which is truly perverted. It also has lights on the back to light up the wall around the TV. Some like that, I hate it. The light in the logo can be turned off, and so can the back light. But every now and again it is turned back on, thus you have to go through the settings to turn it off again.

I have more caveats, but they may be the same for TVs from other flat panel makers as well, like slow to change the station and difficult to see in daylight due to glare.

Not the TV as such, more the service: I was supposed to get a free 265 decoder sent to me, but I never got it.

value for money Samsung then L+G seem to be the ones walking out the door

Panasonic reputedly the best picture and Samsung for number of dedicated apps, ease of use and general good quality picture.

You may guess, I have a Samsung.

Oh, get a soundbar to go with the TV. Improves the sound quality no end.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Smart TVs Are Stupid: Why You Don?t Really Want a Smart TV (Updated)

In summary, forget all your fantasies about smart TVs. They’re just not very good — even if you have a smart TV, you’re better off picking up a cheap streaming box and using it instead of your smart TV’s software. You’ll also be way better off in a few years when that box is still getting updates while your old TV is forgotten by its manufacturer. Even if the box becomes outdated as fast as the TV, it’s much cheaper to replace the box than the entire TV set.
    kris-one and Waharoa like this.

Samsung, LG, Sony & Panasonic, take your pick

Know exactly what's important to you and read reviews

e.g. picture quality, built in wi fi, usability and extent of Apps, HDMI connections, compatibility with IT equipment for sharing screens, launching shared programs etc. Samsung is very good at this given the popularity of Samsung phones

Just discontinued models have great deals to be had

I have a pretty bog standard TV (albeit it is flat screen ). I use NOW TV, a 10 box that gives access to all on demand TV and also have a google chromecast. Made my 250 Samsung into a very user friendly smart TV for about 40 extra.

I've had a Panasonic Plasma for roughly 10 years now and never had a single problem with it, if I had to buy another I'd go with Panasonic again.

Panasonic gets my vote.

As others are saying.. forget the smart of a smart display and concentrate on the display.. There are some amazing displays lately.. While I dont intend to drop the 60k or so they are asking I walked past a 65 inch 4k display (IPS LED) and it was WOW with 4K video playing.. Prices for regular 50 or 55 inch 1080p displays are falling all the time.

For the smart part.. Get the display for the quality of display (I dont give a damn about 3d but some do) and then add to it smarts in streaming boxes, chromecasts, androidTV box or whatever flavor you want. An amazon FireTV, or a android box or androidTV spec box will run rings around almost any smart TV, stay current longer, and when its not current can be upgraded and dropped out of the system for a tiny cost.

To discuss the different 'box' options.. Kodi (highly recommended to learn) runs on many things and is slick looking, very expandable, and can be set up to play lots of pirate streams and systems, or paid pirate services, or legit services.. iLikeHD is a cheap system here in Thailand and is really decent with an android app. There was a thread started the other day on the box options.

Vfm ....sammsung and LG ,philips is back ,little more expensiv sony ,if money doesn count in...Loewe or b&o
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

I've got a 50' Lg smart tv in my bedroom, and like Dawsey says get a soundbar. It's LG also. The tv hanging on the wall with the soundbar just below not only looks super clean but the sound is uber impressive.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    As others are saying.. forget the smart of a smart display and concentrate on the display.. There are some amazing displays lately.. While I dont intend to drop the 60k or so they are asking I walked past a 65 inch 4k display (IPS LED) and it was WOW with 4K video playing.. Prices for regular 50 or 55 inch 1080p displays are falling all the time.

For the smart part.. Get the display for the quality of display (I dont give a damn about 3d but some do) and then add to it smarts in streaming boxes, chromecasts, androidTV box or whatever flavor you want. An amazon FireTV, or a android box or androidTV spec box will run rings around almost any smart TV, stay current longer, and when its not current can be upgraded and dropped out of the system for a tiny cost.

To discuss the different 'box' options.. Kodi (highly recommended to learn) runs on many things and is slick looking, very expandable, and can be set up to play lots of pirate streams and systems, or paid pirate services, or legit services.. iLikeHD is a cheap system here in Thailand and is really decent with an android app. There was a thread started the other day on the box options.
    Agreed its all about the screen and connection options. Smart functions and built in Wi Fi are gonna come as standard anyway. I almost never use the smart functions on my TV

OK...taken some of the advice, and gone for an Android Smart Box so I don't need a Smart TV. I have been left behind a bit in this technology, because my Internet has always been scratchy, I haven't bothered.

So Lazada for 1970Bt delivered...will give it a crack.
    soupdragon likes this.

The performance of a lot of the chinese boxes can be hit and miss.. Also I tend to pay extra for a good remote control (RF not IR).. Good luck and post away with any struggles..

Kodi is a great tool but a bit of work needed (lots of videos explaining how) and the TVADDONS version includes a pre built one with lots of piracy built in. I personally like to start with a clean setup and build up but a play with the TVADDONS version should show you which ones you like most.

If your after simple.. iLikeHD is a easy start.

I already have KODI on the PC, but it has a few major glitches. I will ask when all else fails as always.
    LivinLOS likes this.

So the ASB is connected...had a play, but a few things I need to sort. Playing a File off a USB Stick using the File Player....no Fast Forward, do you download another player like VLC? Connected a Keyboard no problem, but not recognising the Mouse.

Many file players for android.. VLC is good, MX player also.. Kodi has built in playback codecs

Ok someone has just told me about this which apparently is the thing to have....everything within kodi for anyone interested

So hes suggesting a Torrent Download...found this...

Kodi 15.2 Isengard + ChrisB The Beast Integrated {blaze69} but I am getting confused. This is 630megs which seems way too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast