Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: **SPOILER ALERT** Star Wars - The Force Awakens, for those who've seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    To whomever brought it up, I also felt the sudden "I can use the force now" was a bit whack.

I also kept thinking... she looks about 16 or so. Didnt they say Anakin was "too old" to begin learning to be a jedi when he was about 7 or 8? Hmmm... does not compute.

But oh well, rarely have I seen a movie where I couldnt find some logic flaws. Sitting back and picking apart a monumental effort with the argument of "why does Tom always step on the rake and make the handle fly up and hit him in the face when he chases Jerry outside?" is a bit silly... the point is to suspend that kind of thinking in an effort to enjoy the story. There wasnt a sufficient level of 'Tom stepping on the rake' to bother me, so I just enjoyed the storyline, the new R2, seeing old characters, the dogfighting (funny, we dont even do that anymore with our aircraft now- but we're gonna do it in space some day), the pew-pew echoing in the hanger of some space station thingee... yeah, it was a good time.

Lastly, was I the only one that felt that the new sith kid was too understated? He was like one level above a stormtrooper supervisor. Compare that to Darth Maul... a legit badass looking evil character. I would've like to have seen something more than a normal looking kid in a plain black helmet. Hell, at least make the helmet look evil or something.

Shit, Tom just stepped on that rake again, haha...
    It is not that they are to old to learn it is they carry a lot of emotional baggage into it, easier to indoctrinate when younger.
    Hence Anakin being a whiny little teenage bitch, although that is probably more to do with Lucas sucking when directing.

Quote Originally Posted by stupscott View Post
    What is this Revenge of the Sith thing you speak of? never heard of it it doesn't exist!

I agree with most of this but remember they made it for, yet another, new generation of SW fans. I think it sets a good foundation to build on for the next two.

They could've padded out the characters and story quite a bit but then it'd be a 6 hour movie. So many corners cut, like how did Rey suddenly know how to use the force? "you will release the restraints and open the door" Obi Wan style? small bits like that is where it fails for me.
    First with the sensing of her fathers sabre.
    When Ben was reading her mind she figured out how to read his, that is why he stopped.
    Then she experimented on the trooper. When they fought and he said you are strong but you need training she sucked the knowledge from him then kicked his ass(he was also seriously wounded).
    So I assume she is far stronger in the force than him, must be the mother because Luke and Leia should be similar.
    Last edited by bobdickgus; 21st December 2015 at 05:08.

The stormtrooper she does the jedi mind trick on was Daniel Craig!

I really liked TFA - sure it was very similar to ANH but I enjoyed the hell out of it and was kinda expecting to be disappointed. Felt like a Star Wars movie to me and can't wait to see where it goes from here!
    I'm gonna make my own thread, with Blackjack and Hookers!

I also enjoyed it a lot. Quite a few changes from now "non-canon" EU, but some of the same general ideas seem to be there, with parts of the family going dark.

So do you need to have watched the others to know wtf is going on?

Hard to say. With 35 years of SW "history" behind me I couldn't really picture going into it with nothing.

K2
    I avoided all spoilers and even stopped myself looking at the trailers .... I feel pretty the comments here are spot on .... my 15yo son loved it and it was his first really aware SW movie and even though he'd seen the previous movies it was obviously something that made an impact. I was 12 when I saw SW VI, and it had a much bigger impact on me in the 11 times I went to see it! I don't think I would go back and watch it again in a cinema (and doubt my son would want to). Sure- it delivered on the entertainment stakes, but surely with the mega-budgets involved they could have come up with a more tangental plot line.

Kylo Ren was good in so far as he wasn't some hideous freak under the mask and struggled more realistically with the Dark/Light side - though killing off Han was more a (predictable) budget exercise than evilness IMO. The Supreme Leader came straight out of Dr Who and FFS if they have the technology to build planetary system destroying Death Stars you'd have thought by now they'd have stopped building these things with such bloody stupid design faults - crippling the Mega Death Star would have been more plausible and let's hope FFS they don't come up with yet another one for future movies (though it was the most authentic looking explosion).

Rey was plausible and gutsy but I'd have preferred someone cuter (Asian?) - think she'll develop character wise well. Finn was OK but probably needs to work out more for the next movies!

Seeing Leia and Han cuddling was a little uncomfortable, but we're all heading down that road.

I'll stop picking it apart there I guess and take it for what it is - entertainment! Sure, it was easily the best movie of the year (for me), but could have been the best movie of the decade with just a little more cerebral effort being put in before going to shoot.
    Robaht likes this.
    Its My Life .....!

Chewie is back!
    Obsessed with him when I was a kid!!

I loved it.
    I loved Ren......loved that he was flawed(also loved his costume)

I thought Ray was fantastic.

Loved it all.

PS....I saw it in 3D Imax......I've never seen a new 3D movie before....it took me a while to adjust. I almost bailed 10mins in to go to a regular showing but then I liked it. Anyone else have that issue?

Also I went at 9:45am on a Tuesday 555

I don't like the 3D effect. It looks artificial and is still over emphasized by the directors and producers.

Ok, looks like I'm in the minority here then... Not the first time 555. Will have another go when a proper HD version is released, and perhaps I'll change my mind about it.

Just don't get some critics calling it the best movie of 2015... As an homage it kind of worked, but devoid of any originality whatsoever it should still only be regarded as an entertaining remake.

Same as Bro though, I watched it in 3D and did not particularly like it. The wow factor is long gone already. Also had trouble focusing with the Thai subtitles interrupting... the small frame of the glasses... and a smudge at the edge of a lense even. Could quite possibly have added some irritation 555. The winner of the night was the new BBQ flavored popcorn in Jungceylon... which could also explain the smudge...

For me it was what it said it was on the label...ticked all the boxes...introduced the new generation...reintroduced the old characters...killed off ones that had served their purpose (the Han death as said by K2 was a monetary/age thang but can't see too many of the older generation getting another guernsey...maybe Luke)...and provided a path for Ep 8...

It failed to excite me...especially the SFX...it was kinda like watching a retro SFX effort which I guess was intended..in fact the whole thing...storyline, acting, forced dialogue and all was just so familiar and old school it was mostly "meh" to me

I don't think it was close to best movie of 2015
    And I thought the storyline and most of what Nelson said was true.

But for me.....it is just about Star Wars.
    It's part of our culture basically...... World culture in a way
    So if it's good and watchable......I'm happy

And Chewie is back!

Mark Hamill is a lot cheaper to employ than Harrison Ford or Carrie Fisher, so I already kinda knew which one would get axed. It's OK, it was well handled.

Like I said, the SFX for the non-humans was 'meh' for me.. too glossed over, whereas Del Toro would've really made them pop. I felt a bit sad about that.

But for me, it was still a great flick. No huge mistakes. Nothing terrible ruining it. A good start for a new gen.

Also, I didnt know the actor for Chewie is over 7ft tall. Big fooker.

I've never seen any movie in 3D and I was tempted to make this my first but I read it was't made for 3D so opted out, sounds like I made the right choice. I might go see it again if I get a spare afternoon over the festive season.

I was genuinely surprised when Han was killed, I expected him to get his arm chopped off a la Luke. Shows JJ didn't copy everything.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    Mark Hamill is a lot cheaper to employ than Harrison Ford or Carrie Fisher, so I already kinda knew which one would get axed. It's OK, it was well handled.

Like I said, the SFX for the non-humans was 'meh' for me.. too glossed over, whereas Del Toro would've really made them pop. I felt a bit sad about that.

But for me, it was still a great flick. No huge mistakes. Nothing terrible ruining it. A good start for a new gen.

Also, I didnt know the actor for Chewie is over 7ft tall. Big fooker.
    Carrie Fisher???
    I'd imagine they got her for a pack of smokes and some lunch money
    That loon hasnt done anything since the last Star Wars she was in
    Total fruit cake

Yeah, meant to say that Mark and Carrie were cheap these days, whereas Harrison aint. So, logical move to include him now with the new launch, but let him go soon.

**SPOILER ALERT** Star Wars - The Force Awakens, for those who've seen it.

I would have said they could have gotten Carrie Fisher for a carton of smokes and a box of jelly donuts, but that would have been unkind.
    Waharoa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BroTiger View Post
    I would have said they could have gotten Carrie Fisher for a carton of smokes and a box of jelly donuts, but that would have been unkind.
    She complained they made her lose 20lbs.
    You want the role.......lose the weight

So much wrong with this movie it's unreal.
    So disappointed, yes it's better than the last 3 but would be hard not to be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12