Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: **SPOILER ALERT** Star Wars - The Force Awakens, for those who've seen it.

**SPOILER ALERT** Star Wars - The Force Awakens, for those who've seen it.

Don't read down if you've not seen it yet!

Last edited by stupscott; 19th December 2015 at 06:45.

Although I loved it, I did find it a bit samey. A droid with plans, a bigger Death Star.

It also has sexual equality is written all over it, female Stormtroopers? Aren't they a little short to be Stormtroopers?
    K2 likes this.

The spoiler shows when you view in tapatalk without actually clicking on the thread. If you edit and delete the spoiler and post as a 2nd post that might fix it

**SPOILER ALERT** Star Wars - The Force Awakens, for those who've seen it.

Actually should be ok since more than one post in thread now

Done it anyways, don't want to ruin it for anyone.

Sorry if you've not seen it yet, I never use tapatalk so didn't know!

C-3PO looked a bit shit too, has he been hitting the gym?

I came here for the spoilers but they were none 555 I'll probably wait to download the movie once it's released on Bluray

Quote Originally Posted by slimbag View Post
    I came here for the spoilers but they were none 555
    Here you go....

Spoiler: 
    this is a spoiler.......you're welcome

I went to watch Star Wars last night (Friday Dec 18th) at 7pm at Jungceylon and was really surprised that about 70% of seats were open, mostly just the middle premium seats and sofas were filled. Anyway...

I enjoyed the movie and if you like the idea of parallels and "re-setting" the series, then I think you will enjoy it too! It does have a slightly grittier feel, but also still a bit Disney with pretty clean costumes compared to where they are. I think Oblivion did well in that regard, for example, where he got dirty from time to time. Other than the blood smear on the Stormtrooper helmet, I didn't see much (may have missed some as this is a movie to watch a few times to see all the parallels anyway). It also felt a bit Star Trek in regards to the little city in the middle of nowhere that gets destroyed, I mean apparently in the age of lasers and spaceships, most of the action happens in a desert trading post, a medieval village, and/or in a huge spaceship. Blade Runner this is not. LOL.

I have so many questions! So is the new awesome pilot supposed to be the new Han Solo? His character could have been fleshed out a bit more. Was Ray (Rye?) the daughter of Leia? So if so, they just parked her on a junk planet to survive all those days (etching on the wall each day) without going back for her? If not, why did they hug when they met, what was the connection? It was great to see Han Solo again, but wondering if he had been married to Leia and spawned the new Darth, well what did they do with the Wookie during that period? Is he a pet, a biz partner, or something more lol?

It's really quite amazing how people can jump into new starships and immediately know how to fly them. It's kind of like rental cars I guess, whichever one you get you know how to drive it, with little caveats like how too open the trunk (shuttle doors) or the fuel door, etc. but easy enough to figure it out etc! Just rip out a transistor board or weld something and you are good to go!

I liked how Han had to run from the rolling alien inside the falcon, it was a parallel with Raiders I'd say. Oh, I have to run so more later! Cheers!
    K2 likes this.

Must say I was really disappointed by it. At best it could be said that it was a decent remake of A New Hope. To me at least, such a complete lack of originality almost came as a shock. The first 10 minutes were awesome, then it all went downhill...

I had hoped they would develop new story arcs and original characters / universes, and that Ford's appearance would have been a brief glimpse of nostalgia. For old times sake, as kind of a nod to the past. Instead it just felt more like a misguided attempt not to offend old fans, which in the end turned into a cowardly and shallow film.

Hate to admit it, but Revenge of the Sith was a better movie, with the exceptions of Hayden Christensen and the ending. Will sleep on it and see if I feel less rotten about it in the morning 555.

EDIT: Ok, didn't want to read anything about the movie beforehand, but looking around now and seems many are sharing my sentiments. The Farce Awakens and Jar Jar Adams 555.
    Last edited by sundancekid; 19th December 2015 at 18:54.

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    At best it could be said that it was a decent remake of A New Hope. To me at least, such a complete lack of originality almost came as a shock.
    JJ's inability to make original films is well known, He does rehashes, often very clichéd rehashes but he does them very, very well.

And that's my opinion of The Force Awakens, it was a rehash of A New Hope but it was very, very well done. Given what happened the last time a new Star Wars film was released I think it was for the better.

I may be the "non offended fanboy" but I really liked it. It was a proper Star Wars film. Good vs Evil, lots of ships flying about, fight and dogfight scenes, laser cannons and storm troopers that cant hit the side of a barn, the lasers made a very satisfying Pew Pew sound, the special effects and sound effects were top notch.

Above all else, I'm glad to say my worst fears about the film didn't come to pass. JJ didn't rely on the old characters to carry the film as much as I thought. Lets face it, it's been 38 years since A New Hope and all of the original actors have gone grey.

Now the things I didn't like about the film.
    - Dialog wasn't that good.
    - Still managed to get an annoying CG character in, not as bad as Jar Jar but still cringe worthy.
    - Was very predicable.

I picked who was going to die about half way though. It was entirely due to the way that the characters were used.
    Spoiler: 
    It was obvious Han was going to die because he was filling the same role as Ben Kenobi from ANH

As I said, I liked the film and highly recommend it. Its a bit clichéd and a lot of fanboy service went in but what do you expect from JJ. All you need to know is that it doesn't ruin the film.

The things that I want to know are
    Spoiler: 
    where is the republic fleet and why are the resistance separate.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Star Wars Spoiler.

Rice my Star Destroyer.
    SWSpoiler.jpg
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Robaht View Post
    Was Ray (Rye?) the daughter of Leia? So if so, they just parked her on a junk planet to survive all those days (etching on the wall each day) without going back for her?
    I'm going to guess Rei is the daughter of Luke... Or possibly Mara Jade's if they made the Mara Jade stuff cannon.

But I'm going with Luke gathering by what the CG Grandmother said when she found the lightsaber.

Quote Originally Posted by Robaht View Post
    Was Ray (Rye?) the daughter of Leia? So if so, they just parked her on a junk planet to survive all those days (etching on the wall each day) without going back for her? If not, why did they hug when they met, what was the connection? It was great to see Han Solo again, but wondering if he had been married to Leia and spawned the new Darth, well what did they do with the Wookie during that period? Is he a pet, a biz partner, or something more lol?
    Kylo Ren is Han and Leia's son and Rey is Luke Skywalker's daughter was what I took from it.
    nelsonone likes this.

Must say I was really disappointed by it. At best it could be said that it was a decent remake of A New Hope. To me at least, such a complete lack of originality almost came as a shock. The first 10 minutes were awesome, then it all went downhill...

I had hoped they would develop new story arcs and original characters / universes, and that Ford's appearance would have been a brief glimpse of nostalgia. For old times sake, as kind of a nod to the past. Instead it just felt more like a misguided attempt not to offend old fans, which in the end turned into a cowardly and shallow film.

Hate to admit it, but Revenge of the Sith was a better movie, with the exceptions of Hayden Christensen and the ending. Will sleep on it and see if I feel less rotten about it in the morning 555.

EDIT: Ok, didn't want to read anything about the movie beforehand, but looking around now and seems many are sharing my sentiments. The Farce Awakens and Jar Jar Adams 555.
    What is this Revenge of the Sith thing you speak of? never heard of it it doesn't exist!

I agree with most of this but remember they made it for, yet another, new generation of SW fans. I think it sets a good foundation to build on for the next two.

They could've padded out the characters and story quite a bit but then it'd be a 6 hour movie. So many corners cut, like how did Rey suddenly know how to use the force? "you will release the restraints and open the door" Obi Wan style? small bits like that is where it fails for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    I may be the "non offended fanboy" but I really liked it. It was a proper Star Wars film. Good vs Evil, lots of ships flying about, fight and dogfight scenes, laser cannons and storm troopers that cant hit the side of a barn, the lasers made a very satisfying Pew Pew sound, the special effects and sound effects were top notch.

Above all else, I'm glad to say my worst fears about the film didn't come to pass. JJ didn't rely on the old characters to carry the film as much as I thought. Lets face it, it's been 38 years since A New Hope and all of the original actors have gone grey.
    But surely the fight bewteen good and evil --- which I agree of course is essential to the original SW universe --- could allow for other and more innovative doomsday weapons than say... another Death Star? That was the cheesiest and most cringe-wordy scene in my opinion. Look, it was badass before, and now it's even bigger. How can we possibly destory that? Originality doesn't scale up well...

But ok, it was an decent movie. And I loved ships flying around my ears as well, and hapless, blind-as-a-bat storm troopers was to be expected... even wanted. Saying that your worst fears did not come to pass though, is hardly a ringing endorsement. Surely there's a vast universe to be expoited and explored between JJ's cowardly remake and the original saga itself?

Quote Originally Posted by stupscott View Post
    They could've padded out the characters and story quite a bit but then it'd be a 6 hour movie. So many corners cut, like how did Rey suddenly know how to use the force? "you will release the restraints and open the door" Obi Wan style? small bits like that is where it fails for me.
    Still fresh from watching it, but there was hardly any character building at all IMO. And that has been done successfully in less than 6 hour-movies before. Even children movies and cartoons have more development. At the very least I would've expected a better setup for the sequels. Even the villains were horrible, and not in a good / evil way. Don't really think I'm asking for too much 555.

That being said, I did have similar negative feelings after watching the first LOTR movie, but those have since grown on me. Perhaps Jar Jar Abrams can turn it all around and historically this flick will be seen as a mere prologue, and as an extended nod to nostalgia, for what is yet to come... Not very hopeful though.
    Last edited by sundancekid; 19th December 2015 at 20:46.

Quote Originally Posted by stupscott View Post
    Like how did Rey suddenly know how to use the force? "you will release the restraints and open the door" Obi Wan style?
    Because Daniel Craig needed a Storm Trooper cameo, 5555

I was disappointed that it's not a stand alone movie (blame Disney's Marvel properties for that evolution in film making). So it felt more like a Series Pilot episode than an actual movie. Episode 8 will probably be a flashback movie explaining Ren's fall to the Dark Side, Luke's new Jedi order (that got destroyed by Ren and other Dark Jedi), the rise of the First Order, and a training montage between Rey and Luke.

But surely the fight bewteen good and evil --- which I agree of course is essential to the original SW universe --- could allow for other and more innovative doomsday weapons than say... another Death Star? That was the cheesiest and most cringe-wordy scene in my opinion. Look, it was badass before, and now it's even bigger. How can we possibly destory that? Originality doesn't scale up well...
    Technically speaking it wasn't another death star per se, but I get your point.

It could have been a lot worse, they could have dragged up something like the Sun Crusher from Jedi Academy books.

But ok, it was an decent movie. And I loved ships flying around my ears as well, and hapless, blind-as-a-bat storm troopers was to be expected... even wanted. Saying that your worst fears did not come to pass though, is hardly a ringing endorsement. Surely there's a vast universe to be expoited and explored between JJ's cowardly remake and the original saga itself?
    Personally I would have preferred something like Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy but that would be impossible with the age of the actors (it was set 5 years after ROTJ).

That being said, I agree with you that it's unoriginalty was it's worst point, however it is still a very good film and I would still recommend it to others.

To whomever brought it up, I also felt the sudden "I can use the force now" was a bit whack.

I also kept thinking... she looks about 16 or so. Didnt they say Anakin was "too old" to begin learning to be a jedi when he was about 7 or 8? Hmmm... does not compute.

But oh well, rarely have I seen a movie where I couldnt find some logic flaws. Sitting back and picking apart a monumental effort with the argument of "why does Tom always step on the rake and make the handle fly up and hit him in the face when he chases Jerry outside?" is a bit silly... the point is to suspend that kind of thinking in an effort to enjoy the story. There wasnt a sufficient level of 'Tom stepping on the rake' to bother me, so I just enjoyed the storyline, the new R2, seeing old characters, the dogfighting (funny, we dont even do that anymore with our aircraft now- but we're gonna do it in space some day), the pew-pew echoing in the hanger of some space station thingee... yeah, it was a good time.

Lastly, was I the only one that felt that the new sith kid was too understated? He was like one level above a stormtrooper supervisor. Compare that to Darth Maul... a legit badass looking evil character. I would've like to have seen something more than a normal looking kid in a plain black helmet. Hell, at least make the helmet look evil or something.

Shit, Tom just stepped on that rake again, haha...
    K2 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast