Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By NeedHoliday
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS
  • 1 Post By marc26

Thread: Peak app

Peak app

In actual fact are apps pretty shit? I don't find myself downloading any useful apps these days for my iPhone and only use a handful. Tapatalk, BBC news/sport, Whatsapp and BBC radio pretty much it. Any good and useful ones I'm missing out on?

Peak app

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453153922.026378.jpg

That top app is kinda what I'm getting at.. I think we have reached peak app and people are running out of ideas for new ones.

Well, it really depends on how you want to use your mobile device. The iPhone has a pretty decent camera, and there are a few very useful apps to go with that. Camera+ is my favorite to use the camera to its full potential, and Snapseed offers some creative ways to do post processing. DocsToGo offers MS Office compatible word processing, spreadsheet and presentation. Adobe has the best PDF viewer and editor and a companion for their Lightroom desktop app. There are several specialty apps that I use to help plan my Scuba diving. Plus Hewlett Packard RPN calculator emulators, currency conversion, global weather viewing, etc.
    It helps to think of your device as a mobile personal computer that is also capable of making phone calls. The other obvious use is as a PDA. Since my desktop computer is also a Mac, all my contacts, text messages, phone calls, calendar events and Safari web browser bookmarks are synced between my various devices. It is what you choose to make of it.

1Password is an app I use everyday,could not go without it now.

Don't use many apps, just the usual ones like Snapseed, Weather, Airlines, Hotels, News & Tech apps.

Most of the space in the smartphone goes to photos and videos.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    I bet you put app #20 on your phone too Kris 555
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Think peak app was reached a while ago....

Eight People Bought Useless $1,000 iPhone App | WIRED

Some truly superb apps / ecosystems tho..

Spotify.. Kindle.. Hangouts.. Strava.. Skype...

Sure theres loads of junk and me too's.. But I wouldnt trade going back 5 or 6 years..

I did smile tho reading this morning how to 'combat illegal and unregulated fishing' the thai government had released an app, and that this would be the frontline or some other guff, in tackling the issue... From what it said the app did it listed the rules and laws, I can see every longtail boat owner and dodgy captain of burmese slave ships will be rushing to download that puppy !! Maybe they really think the EU inspectors this week will think thats a great leap forward.

XE currency converter is great if you travel a lot or do business in different currencies, Bank apps for phone top up's

I had a look today (for the first time in about a year) at the Apple app charts (free category), and out of the top 20 or so I had about 14 already, most for years. The ones I didn't have were mainly games that didn't look that impressive anyway. Even the paid category didn't have anything that looked truly interesting.

So kinda thinking the same - think they've hit a peak, mainly for innovation. Games will always differ to some extent.
    kris-one likes this.

Yeah that's what I meant. No new game changer apps.

Yeah that's what I meant. No new game changer apps.
    Betting against change and innovation ??

Until the next uber.. Netflix.. Etc
    kris-one likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post

Yeah and technology advanced faster as we go along
    I honestly can't imagine what the world is going to be like in 10-12 years with how incredible technology has become

And I am sure Apps will be part of that

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post

This is so true, i'm always really slow to pick up on new innovation.. never a first adopter. I remember back in 2008/09 thinking this mobile technology for apps would never catch on.. i knew this girl who was always checking her Facebook from her phone and thought how fcuking annoying that is on a small screen and tiny keyboard. Same same kindle and streaming TV boxes that you used to bang on about. Now just couple years later watch most my TV via NOW TV and Google chromecast.

This is so true, i'm always really slow to pick up on new innovation.. never a first adopter. I remember back in 2008/09 thinking this mobile technology for apps would never catch on.. i knew this girl who was always checking her Facebook from her phone and thought how fcuking annoying that is on a small screen and tiny keyboard. Same same kindle and streaming TV boxes that you used to bang on about. Now just couple years later watch most my TV via NOW TV and Google chromecast.
    I was in Hermosa Beach CA, 1 minute before a huge Patriots game is to kick-off
    The whole city had a blackout!
    We were watching the game on some dude's Iphone on his Slingbox!!
    LivinLOS likes this.