Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve@thaib

Thread: Free ebook - Vanya Vetto

Free ebook - Vanya Vetto

Today you can grab Valium Daze: 5 mg Kindle Edition for free..

Vanya Vetto is the writer of Garuda's Travels: Sins and Redemption in South East Asia.. I have been meaning to do a thread on him for ages, I heard of him through Jake Needham on facebook, who if I remember correctly described him as a Hunter S thompson does SE Asia.. I personally think he lacks the madness (we will see) of HST but the guy is a real deal writer, in fact so much so, makes me want to have a stab at writing. He really does the whole short terse prose, hemminwayesque sentence structure more than HST, but that style fits travel writing and nails the environment perfectly. It doesnt hurt that the stomping ground of Garudas Travels is places I know intimately.. Bali, Phnom Penh, KL, Penang, and hence I then trust him to be accurate on the places I dont as much (Pattini etc)..

I actually purchased Valium Daze 2 days ago, for plane reading, and apparently this one is more heart of darkness, spaced out and shagging cheep hookers, his first one seemed to claim non stop hanging out with karaoke girls and mamasans, yet played the innocent card, which will be interesting to see if hes abandoned that..

Anyway Garudas Travels was great, heres the chance to get his next one free.

Seems Garudas Travels is free today also.. Grab them both..

I just had someone remind me of his blog.. I was hunting for it but had forgotten..

www.farsidetravel.net

Heres a good sampler of his kind of style https://farsidetravel.net/2016/05/07/chapter-1/

It's free on Amazon.com but not .uk. Hardly expensive though at 99p and looks like an intersting read.
    kris-one likes this.

Ahh yeah I seem to have been looking at the kindle unlimited price...

Unsure if starting with garudas travels might be better bet..

Thanks for the tip. I got Valium Daze for free, but didn't see a free Garuda's ... well, at a whopping $0.99 I can probably afford to pick it up if I like the Valium one! Cheers!

I started reading this.

I couldn't follow it.....the dude literally seems to jump from one story to another mid sentence.
    None of it made sense

Started this on the plane.. Didnt get far.. Not nearly as good as Garudas travels, seemed like he was trying too hard to raise the stakes with full on 'bangkok miss behavior' where Garudas was more travel / people / impressions.. Seemed a big step down in quality and a lot less believable / authentic.

He does bounce about a bit.. Its kind of stream of consciousness impressions.. But as I said this one seemed unworthy of mention but Garudas I liked a lot.. Will try to keep at it and see if it improves but am ass kickingly busy right now.