Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS

Thread: Chromecast in Thailand?

K2

Chromecast in Thailand?

This is a question for the techies ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2378747/The-10-Sky-box-connects-ANY-TV-web-lets-watch-online-catch-shows.html?ico=sciencetech^headlines

What do you think the chances of these devices working in Thailand as when I come back would love a stable alternative to the crappy choice of True or a less than ideal satellite set-up.
    Its My Life .....!

near to none.. Its also not a full streamer just a HTML5 app player..

Get a decent xbmc box.. then look at he stream options..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    near to none.. Its also not a full streamer just a HTML5 app player..

Get a decent xbmc box.. then look at he stream options..
    Any recommendations ??

I just binned True Visions, sick of paying for the endless repeats so am looking for alternatives.

Ben uses some ION chipset boxes and openelec that hes happy with.. I have a full HTPC running the same but looking to get some more appliance type boxes for bedrooms and ease of use..

I am waiting on the android xbmc being 100% stable on one of these boxes. I hear this one is pretty smooth.

Aliexpress.com : Buy 2013 Quad Core RK3188 K R42 CS918 Android 4.2 Smart TV Box Miracast ARM Cortex A9 1.8Ghz AV Port+IR Remote Control 2GB RAM 8GB from Reliable quad core bluetooth tv box suppliers on Shenzhen Consumer Electronic Company

But xbmc on android is still in beta development.. So unsure just how much there is to work around currently.

Does Apple TV work in LOS?

Just another option maybe.

All these things can be tricked to work.. By using either a VPN or better by using a geoIP spoofing service..

But streaming I find a little hit and miss, its not just your end speed, but streaming services need to be end to end, they are set up in the home country, designed to feed to that home country market.. When you start tapping in from half a world away your far more likely to get buffering or other issues..

This is why I have mostly stuck to the download and store to watch model, rather than the netflix streamed model. Its fitted my useage pattern better. However theres some stuff, live sports and news channels, maybe 'casual viewing' like discovery, nat geo type stuff.. That I am now working on streaming.
    soupdragon likes this.

K2
    I hope you figure it out before I come back Sef ... the majority of what I want to watch is real time (Bloomberg/CNBC/news) and for kids the educational/documentary stuff ... not bothered about sports and movies.
    Its My Life .....!

Oh hi there. This forums seems to be going on nicely.

Re: xbmc boxes, you could make do with Raspberry Pis and Raspbmc, Raspbian, or Openelec. Cheap, noiseless, and suitably geeky. Supports IR, CEC, or smartphone remote app.

However, streaming Netflix or other DRMed Silverlight web content is not easily done, nigh impossible.
    o/~ We're up all night to the sun, We're up all night to get some. We're up all night for good fun, We're up all night to get lucky. o/~