Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Pablo
  • 1 Post By geir
  • 1 Post By Pablo
  • 2 Post By dawsey

Thread: Sir Barry Gibb...

Waharoa likes this.
    Progressive Liberalism is a mental disorder, time to M.A.G.A.

It's so gay 555

THE BACKLOT
    The Bee Gees’ 9 Gayest Songwriting Contributions
    by Louis Virtel 5/21/2012

Donna Summer’s death was heartwrenching enough, but Robin Gibb’s death from cancer at age 62 on Sunday substantiated the past three days as Disco Devastation Weekend. While Donna is an obvious gay muse, the Bee Gees’ influence in the homosexual world is a little bit sly: Yep, the gents in the band are straight, and they even sing exclusively about romancing ladies. But there’s something about the open sensitivity and serious rhythm of the Bee Gees’ music that qualifies it for enshrining in every gay hall of fame. Today, we commemorate the band’s nine gayest songwriting contributions. Some songs are written by all three members and some are written by fewer, but all are meaningfully gay. Let’s jive-talk on in.

9. Yvonne Elliman’s “If I Can’t Have You”

While Yvonne Elliman’s classic track is very much a survival anthem — and therefore inherently gay — it notches a spot on this list for inspiring Adam Lambert to give his tenderest performance of American Idol’s eighth season. You can have your “Mad World” and “A Change is Gonna Come” renditions; I’d rather Adam hoot this number and make us believe in gay hurt and triumph.

8. Destiny’s Child, “Emotion”

“Emotion” has a history of gay: The original version, by one-hit wonder Samantha Sang, was intended for the soundtrack of Saturday Night Fever but ended up on — wait for it! — the soundtrack to Joan Collins’ movie The Stud. When Beyonce, Kelly, and Michelle got their hands on the hit, it inspired the gayest video ever, which featured a three-way split-screen of the girls pouting through melodramatic storylines. This is the only way a Valley of the Dolls remake can and should happen.

7. Andy Gibb, “Shadow Dancing”

The most tragic Gibb brother also had the gayest Gibb-sung hit. “Shadow Dancing” is part of the trend of goofy TV stars who clocked in with hokey hit singles. It’s up there with David Naughton’s “Makin’ It” (which I effing LOVE) and David Soul’s “Don’t Give Up On Us Baby.” It has a snakey groove, sinister vocal, and the title “Shadow Dancing” going for its gayness. Come on, can you even picture a woman dancing to this? “Shadow Dancing” was made for striped dude pants and tight-crotched gyration.

6. Dionne Warwick’s “Heartbreaker”

With the possible exception of “Love Power” (cowritten by Burt Bacharach and Carole Bayer Sager), “Heartbreaker” is Dionne Warwick’s greatest and gayest hit of the ’80s. It’s a comeback ballad with a driving beat and a profound sense of loss, and songwriter Barry Gibb makes sure to include crybaby confessionals like “You made a life out of hurtin’ me” and “My love is stronger than the universe.” Gay to me!

5. Barbra Streisand’s “Guilty”

“We are devotion / And we’ve got nothing to be sorry for” chirps the guilt-flingin’ “Guilty,” the title track from Barbra Streisand’s 1980 smash album. I think that might be actual dialogue from Brokeback Mountain. The pseudo-reggae stylings were very of the period (think The Police, or Stevie Wonder’s “Master Blaster”), but the tune itself is one of Barbra’s most timeless earworms.

4. Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers’ “Islands in the Stream”

The finest karaoke duet of all time — take that, “Don’t Go Breakin’ My Heart” — has the funnest singalong bounce of any song, ever. And who doesn’t love adding a knowing gay wink to Kenny’s line, “I was soft inside / There was something going on”? Yeah. Like naughty stirrings for dudes?

3. Celine Dion’s “Immortality”

“So this is who I am!” Celine Dion proclaims at the top of “Immortality,” and you’d think she was revealing herself to be a drag queen named Heavenly Angelil, or something. This is one of Celine’s most syrupy ballads, but it’s made so peculiar and touching by her strange, ultra-intimate birdie coo.

2. Diana Ross’s “Chain Reaction”

Oh, YES! Though my favorite Diana Ross persona is the woozy wailer of “Love Hangover,” my second favorite is the trotting, energized Betsey Johnson photonegative of the “Chain Reaction” video. I love the unmistakable Bee Gee energy of the “talk about loooove” parts, and I especially dig the song’s all-around skippiness. This is could be a TV theme song about being gay in the ’80s.

1. Barbra Streisand’s “Woman in Love”

Legally, you cannot sing “Woman in Love” unless you’re a fist-pumping homosexual at a Tarzana karaoke joint proclaiming his gayhood for three customers. All of this songs perks add up to an uncontested reign on this countdown: Barbra’s angst, that silly and self-serious chorus, the eerie pronunciation of “woman,” and that sly driving force behind the music. James Brolin, I hope Barbra sings this to you every night and, as you fall asleep, whispers into your ear, “You’re gayer now.”
    Last edited by geir; 27th June 2018 at 12:37.
    Pablo likes this.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

All of my gay friends love the Bee Gee's.
    geir likes this.
    Progressive Liberalism is a mental disorder, time to M.A.G.A.

The whole knighthood business belongs back in the 19th century.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    The whole knighthood business belongs back in the 19th century.
    Same with the royals IMO.
    Get out there in the game, don't sit up in the bleachers. That is the philosophy of pimps and preachers.

Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    Same with the royals IMO.
    I have no problem keeping a King or Queen as sovereign head of state, but object to the dozens of hangers on who live the life of luxury and entitlement at the expense of the taxpayer.
    tnlawyer and Captain like this.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    I have no problem keeping a King or Queen as sovereign head of state, but object to the dozens of hangers on who live the life of luxury and entitlement at the expense of the taxpayer.
    Pretty much what I was getting at.
    Get out there in the game, don't sit up in the bleachers. That is the philosophy of pimps and preachers.