• 1 Post By PadMC
  • 2 Post By Bacon
  • 3 Post By Bacon
  • 1 Post By Dupree
  • 1 Post By PadMC
  • 1 Post By Stillearly

Thread: I didn't know that !

Question I didn't know that !

OK , this is partly an excuse to post a great opening sequence to a movie but also a 'link' I knew nothing about.

An iconic image and music that has become synonymous with space travel/exploration , but what made me think about this today ?

The theme tune is from a Richard Strauss piece "Thus Spoke Zarathustra " ( inspired by Friedrich Nietzsche's philosophical treatise of the same name) , what I didn't know was that Zarathustra (Zoroaster) was the founder of a religion ,Zoroastrianism , which has been around for over 3000 years and still has followers/believers today.

An article on BBC this morning about the religion got me thinking about the movie .

Keeping Zoroastrianism alive after 3,000 years

Followers of one of the world's oldest religions have been celebrating their holiest day of the year, with a nervous eye on their dwindling numbers.
    Zoroastrianism was founded around 3,000 years ago in Persia - now known as Iran.
    But from a population of millions, the church now has around 200,000 members.

BBC News - Keeping Zoroastrianism alive after 3,000 years

Hope Zorro is not their god 555
    Dupree likes this.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Also: the computer 's name, HAL, some say, is a dig at IBM....each of the three letters in IBM are preceded by H, A and L.
    Last edited by billpay; 18th August 2013 at 15:33.

I'd never heard of that religion either , in the video he says that you have to be born into the religion but Wiki ( I know .. ) suggests otherwise

Zoroastrianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

I heard of it before.

One the oddest Religion's that I've come across is Caodaism (Cao Dai) in Vietnam. It's mainly based on Buddhism but it claims there to be one god also, other religious beliefs like Christianity are incorporated also (Syncretic religion). I visited a Cao Dai Temple or Pagoda near Hue when I was there, it was a really odd and interesting place and very colourful. What was funny or strange about it they have and worship saints, some of the saints include, Charlie Chaplin, Joan of Arc, Victor Hugo and Julius Caesar amongst others. Caodaism has a pope and bishops also.

It's the third largest religion in Vietnam after Buddhism and Catholicism apparently.

Cao Dai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    nelsonone likes this.

I come from a Persian background and a long line of these "Zorro" fans.

A few facts. Zoroastra was the first prophet in history who claimed there is only one god, and so the religion is the first monotheist one in history and the root of the three great Abrahamic religions. It is responsible for the philosophy of dualism. The idea that there are forces of good and evil stem from there. If you actually read their religions text, written centuries before Christ, you will notice many familiar Myths. The great flood, resurrection mythology, and other familiar cock and bull stories which Jews, Christian and Muslims try and take credit for.

They used to(still do I guess) light fires in their temples and so have falsely been known as fire worshipers.

Now here's an interesting one. Lighting candles on birthday cakes is a Zoroastrian tradition and that's where it comes from. The word Sunday(day of the sun) is also Zoroastrian as they believed the sun was the source of all energy on earth. Correctly.

Now to go on a tangent, the word Monday in English in Moonday(day of the moon), The word Tuesday is Tiw's Day. Tiw or Tr, the god of Combat. Wednesday is Woden's Day. Wōden, an ancient Germanic deity. Thursday is Thor's day. God of Thunder. Friday is Frīġedġ, meaning the "day of Frigg", referring to the Roman goddess Venus. And Saturday is Saturn's day, after the god Saturn.

And these names of course exist today in the Christian calendar, as do many other names and traditions(enough to write a couple of books about) because the Romans(Constantine in particular) where fecking clever pricks. When they were inventing modern Christianity they knew that you can't just take entire cultures and uproot and replace them with entirely different ones. So they took existing mythology, cultures and holidays and simply re-packaged them. And since the latter Roman empire stretched from Modern day Turkey, all the way to Western Europe, you now have many customs and traditions in the Christian world that mostly belong to ancient Eastern or Pagan cultures.
    PadMC and Stillearly like this.
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

It's also interesting to note how deeply these old philosophies have affected the modern world.

Like I said, Zoroaster(more of a philosopher than a "prophet") was responsible for the philosophy of dualism. Which is a radically different belief to other Eastern religions like Buddhism, and is responsible for much of the historical currents of Western thought. Zoroaster's philosophy was studied by Aristotle and later shaped the development of his logic. From the idea of good and evil came right and wrong, up and down, light and dark and inevitably, the mathematics of ones and zeros, either on or off. A = A. As a direct result of which we now have computers. If you go back in time and take Aristotle(or a lot of other men of his caliber at the time) out of the equation, we would now be living in a radically different world.

Buddhism however, gave us something else entirely. Buddha gave us A = Not A. Whereas Aristotle's logic dictates that A = A and A ≠ B. But in the world of the Buddha, A and B coexist in perfect harmony. Which is actually how the real world behaves. We now know that an electron can exist in two places at the same time. Light doesn't have to be or not to be. It can exist in various degrees. And that infact applies to everything. A man does't have to be good or bad all the time. Which is closer to the truth.

And as a direct result of that we now have the mathematics of fuzzy logic. And if you want to know what that means in the real world, compare a high def TV to an old analogue one. A lot of modern technology like high definition tvs and camera, to atomic clocks and other mind boggling crap is a direct result of the fuzzy Buddhist philosophy, which now overlays Aristotelian logic in the computer world. We still need the ones and the zeros, because our level of technology can only detect an electron in it's negative or positive state, but we can use many many electrons to display fuzzy states and convey information in a much richer format.

Anyway... I'll stop here. I had to study philosophy as well as comp science to get a better grasp of it all and I love talking about it.
    Last edited by Bacon; 18th August 2013 at 20:28.
    K2, nelsonone and PadMC like this.
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

K2
    Its My Life .....!

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    I guess you didn't read the first post in this thread !

K2
    ^ Opps ... not to the end ... funny enough the BBC story came on as I was watching your 2001 trailer.
    Its My Life .....!

Quote Originally Posted by PadMC View Post
    I heard of it before.

One the oddest Religion's that I've come across is Caodaism (Cao Dai) in Vietnam. It's mainly based on Buddhism but it claims there to be one god also, other religious beliefs like Christianity are incorporated also (Syncretic religion). I visited a Cao Dai Temple or Pagoda near Hue when I was there, it was a really odd and interesting place and very colourful. What was funny or strange about it they have and worship saints, some of the saints include, Charlie Chaplin, Joan of Arc, Victor Hugo and Julius Caesar amongst others. Caodaism has a pope and bishops also.

It's the third largest religion in Vietnam after Buddhism and Catholicism apparently.

I saw this in a little documentary. They picked all the parts they liked from other religions and started their own..Talk about cafeteria Catholics..
    PadMC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PadMC View Post
    I heard of it before.

I think this is the Temple in Hue , took the pic in Apr '97
    Attached Images Attached Images

^ I went to one in Dalat...

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    I think this is the Temple in Hue , took the pic in Apr '97
    ^ That looks a lot like it. Hue is a great place for seeing all sorts of Palaces, Pagodas and Royal tombs of the Nguyen Dynasty. They didn't all look the same either, there is a lot more variety than the Pagodas and Temples to be seen in Thailand imo.
    Stillearly likes this.

I had ten days in Vietnam in '97 we started off in Hanoi and worked our way down the country , Hanoi - Hue - DaNang - Nha Trang - Saigon , a great experience

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Anyway... I'll stop here. I had to study philosophy as well as comp science to get a better grasp of it all and I love talking about it.
    So did I. Philosophy because it always interested me a lot, computers to get a job. 101,101,101

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    I had ten days in Vietnam in '97 we started off in Hanoi and worked our way down the country , Hanoi - Hue - DaNang - Nha Trang - Saigon , a great experience
    I went the opposite route myself 10 years later in 2007, starting from Saigon and finishing up in Sa Pa way up north near the Chinese border. I spent 2 months there. I absolutely loved it too. I always intend to go back but not just for a two or three week stay. The Da Nang and Hoi An area in central Vietnam was my Favourite area. Now that I think about it I must actually organise myself and go back sometime soon.

I remember sitting in a cafe in Hue and seeing a beautiful girl cycle past wearing the conical straw hat and a white Ao Dai , then another and another , it was similar to a scene in Good Morning Vietnam - will also go back one day

not my pic ..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stillearly; 19th August 2013 at 04:07.
    PadMC likes this.

^ I'm with ya bro

Ao Dai 1 2 sized.jpg

One of many I took, that one being one of my favourites.