Page 49 of 82 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
Like Tree389Likes

Thread: TV Series

I would add Ray Donovan, even though this last year was not as good as the previous years.
    nelsonone likes this.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    I would add Ray Donovan, even though this last year was not as good as the previous years.
    yeah...disappointing this year even with the excellent "Al Swearengen" in it....555

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    THE BEST TV OF 2015

so 2015 has come and gone....give us your top 10 or a few of your faves...here's my list in no particular order...

Fargo (outstanding 2 years in a row)
    Homeland (maybe the best season so far...certainly back to the standard of S1)
    Wolf Hall (UK)
    Mr Robot
    Narcos
    River (UK)
    Unforgotten (UK)
    Madmen (brilliant to the very end)
    Bloodlines
    Bosch

a few other honorable mentions:

The Fall (UK)
    The Knick
    The Last Kingdom (UK)
    Hannibal
    Empire (soapy but good)
    GOT (disappointing season this year)
    True Detectives (S2...a non recommendation...so disappointingly pure crap)
    Justified (had to end...but strong all the way)
    Marvel's Jessica Jones...(loving this)
    Luther (UK)....(just returned)
    I've never heard of Wolfhall, River, and Unforgotten. I really liked the UK's 'The Fall' and 'Happy Valley', so I may give one of those other ones a try.
    Which would you recommend?
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    I've never heard of Wolfhall, River, and Unforgotten. I really liked the UK's 'The Fall' and 'Happy Valley', so I may give one of those other ones a try.
    Which would you recommend?
    they are all excellent Bill....watch them all...maybe starting with Unforgotten first as it is probably the most similar to The Fall...do you watch Luther BTW...also an excellent UK detective series

Wolf Hall is an historical period piece...based on the life of Thomas Cromwell (masterfully played by Mark Rylance who played Abel in Bridge of Spies) in the court of Henry the 8th ( also masterfully portrayed by Damien Lewis "the ginger bastard" from Homeland) around the death of cardinal Wolesly...its absolutely fascinating and riveting

Wolf Hall (TV Mini-Series 2015) - IMDb

Unforgotten is a detective series which covers the discovery in a basement of a body which seems to have been there for many years...the writing is very clever and uncovers a group of suspects with links to a shelter for the wayward back in time...impeccably acted by a great ensemble cast with many big named UK actors including Nicola Walker as the head detective

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4192812/?ref_=nv_sr_1

River...is also a detective series but with a "surreal" edge, as River the lead detective played brilliantly by Skellen Skaarsgard sees dead people and is able to interract with them....the excellent Nicola Walker is also in this one playing his recently murdered partner....and the relationship between them is fascinating...

River (TV Series 2015? ) - IMDb

as I said....give them all a try...imo up there with The Fall..its been a great year for UK TV series
    Last edited by nelsonone; 14th January 2016 at 16:08.
    billpay likes this.

Yes
    I thought Mark Rylance was exceptional in Wolf Hall,great acting,
    great sense of presence.
    nelsonone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yes View Post
    I thought Mark Rylance was exceptional in Wolf Hall,great acting,
    great sense of presence.
    never seen him give anything but an immaculate performance in anything Ewan...

Finished Fargo S2.. Ending poor but enjoyable through most with a eclectic and good soundtrack..

Spoiler: 
    what the fuck with the UFO thing tho ?? Dont understand how that added anything except oddness and confusion
    nelsonone likes this.

^ I really liked that bit (spoiler)...I was laughing out loud and hooting at the TV when it was happening in conjunction with the "shootout"....all of the "Fargo" franchises have had "goofball" as a major theme running through them...for me it was a "nod" to that...wasn't something meant to be taken as serious or integral from my viewpoint

they are all excellent Bill....watch them all...maybe starting with Unforgotten first as it is probably the most similar to The Fall...do you watch Luther BTW...also an excellent UK detective series

Wolf Hall is an historical period piece...based on the life of Thomas Cromwell (masterfully played by Mark Rylance who played Abel in Bridge of Spies) in the court of Henry the 8th ( also masterfully portrayed by Damien Lewis "the ginger bastard" from Homeland) around the death of cardinal Wolesly...its absolutely fascinating and riveting

Wolf Hall (TV Mini-Series 2015) - IMDb

Unforgotten is a detective series which covers the discovery in a basement of a body which seems to have been there for many years...the writing is very clever and uncovers a group of suspects with links to a shelter for the wayward back in time...impeccably acted by a great ensemble cast with many big named UK actors including Nicola Walker as the head detective

Unforgotten (TV Series 2015? ) - IMDb

River...is also a detective series but with a "surreal" edge, as River the lead detective played brilliantly by Skellen Skaarsgard sees dead people and is able to interract with them....the excellent Nicola Walker is also in this one playing his recently murdered partner....and the relationship between them is fascinating...

River (TV Series 2015? ) - IMDb

as I said....give them all a try...imo up there with The Fall..its been a great year for UK TV series
    Started watching Unforgotten last night, good recommendation, thank's Nels (also downloaded River)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Started watching Unforgotten last night, good recommendation, thank's Nels (also downloaded River)
    just a suggestion Phil...split watching Unforgotten and River for a bit...they both star Nicola Walker...she's on screen most of the time in both series so a break in between clears the characters a little

just a suggestion Phil...split watching Unforgotten and River for a bit...they both star Nicola Walker...she's on screen most of the time in both series so a break in between clears the characters a little
    Will probably finish Unforgotten today, brilliant series with great casting and some big names. Going on a visa run on Monday so will save River for that.

Nicola Walker with always be Ruth from Spooks to me (one of my favorite series)
    nelsonone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Will probably finish Unforgotten today, brilliant series with great casting and some big names. Going on a visa run on Monday so will save River for that.

Nicola Walker with always be Ruth from Spooks to me (one of my favorite series)
    yep...she was great in "spooks"....

drop me a line when you get back...about time we had a beer
    Philly likes this.

Billions...

A new series from Showtime starring Damien Lewis ("Ginger" from Homeland) as a "take no prisoners" hedge fund manager and Paul Giamatti as the District Attourney who is making a name for himself going after trader fraud...things are made more complicated by The DA's wife played by Maggie Siff who works for the Trader and seemingly has a symbiotic relationship with both men

I'm 2 eps in and so far 4 have been released of 12 in season 1....its setting up nicely so far...great performances by the leads, good supporting characters, lots of insider trader jargon and banter and some nicely building industry drama

put it on your "have a look" list if this sort of stuff appeals
    Waharoa likes this.

^First time for a long time when I haven't found Giamatti to be too annoying...

Billions...

A new series from Showtime starring Damien Lewis ("Ginger" from Homeland) as a "take no prisoners" hedge fund manager and Paul Giamatti as the District Attourney who is making a name for himself going after trader fraud...things are made more complicated by The DA's wife played by Maggie Siff who works for the Trader and seemingly has a symbiotic relationship with both men

I'm 2 eps in and so far 4 have been released of 12 in season 1....its setting up nicely so far...great performances by the leads, good supporting characters, lots of insider trader jargon and banter and some nicely building industry drama

put it on your "have a look" list if this sort of stuff appeals
    I watch it but not totally into it.
    The trade talk is laughable, IMO
    They are almost better leaving the jargon out of it.
    And I am surprised because Andrew Ross Sorkin helped create it.

They also ripping off a few story lines.
    They copying him after Stevie Cohen at SAC Capital and they stole Cantor Fitzgerald storyline from 9/11

Also.......I just am not a fab of Giamatti anymore

But I still think it's watchable

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    I watch it but not totally into it.
    The trade talk is laughable, IMO
    They are almost better leaving the jargon out of it.
    And I am surprised because Andrew Ross Sorkin helped create it.

They also ripping off a few story lines.
    They copying him after Stevie Cohen at SAC Capital and they stole Cantor Fitzgerald storyline from 9/11

Also.......I just am not a fab of Giamatti anymore

But I still think it's watchable
    I was thinking you probably wouldn't be into it as I was writing that...555

Its hard to watch any "dramatic/comedic representation" of your own industry or home town..I'm a huge fan of Bourdain but can't stand to watch him on a place I know intimately..it just goes to show how much TV shows/movies are superficial and cliche riddled

Giametti has been terribly over exposed and type cast in the last couple of years...his portrayals as zealot music managers in "Straight Outta Compton" and "Love and Mercy" put a nail in his coffin for me..but I actually think he is trying to offer up a slight new dimension here

It ain't "The Wolf" but its watchable and offers up some decent well acted drama at this low point in the TV season

I was thinking you probably wouldn't be into it as I was writing that...555

Its hard to watch any "dramatic/comedic representation" of your own industry or home town..I'm a huge fan of Bourdain but can't stand to watch him on a place I know intimately..it just goes to show how much TV shows/movies are superficial and cliche riddled

Giametti has been terribly over exposed and type cast in the last couple of years...his portrayals as zealot music managers in "Straight Outta Compton" and "Love and Mercy" put a nail in his coffin for me..but I actually think he is trying to offer up a slight new dimension here

It ain't "The Wolf" but its watchable and offers up some decent well acted drama at this low point in the TV season
    I also don't think Damian comes close to playing the street kid from Brooklyn
    Although I do think his wife in it is really good and believable

The funny thing I guess is it's not only my industry its kind of my hood too
    Living in Staten Island for 5 years and being in Brooklyn for a good 10 years
    So I guess I am critiquing all aspects of it

New User
    "Madoff" 2 part series is quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Namlay View Post
    "Madoff" 2 part series is quite good.
    Downloaded earlier and looking forward to it. Fascinating story regardless.

Thought Giamatti was good in John Adams (2008) which was an excellent series.

Page 49 of 82 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast