Page 70 of 71 FirstFirst ... 206068697071 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,400 of 1406
Like Tree306Likes

Thread: TV Series

Just thought I'd talk about one of my favourite shows recently and I've watched the tow series back to back about 10 times in the last month. Derek by Ricky Gervais. It has got a lot of bad press because it was written and directected and also stars Ricky Gervais himself. It has no input from Stephen Merchant who many consider to be the voice of reason and added the subtle humour to the UK office and Extras.

Derek, suffers from Aspergers and works Ina nursing home. It also stars Karl Pilkington from 'an idiot abroad'. Funniest character is David Earl who plays homeless Kev. He had no lines and ad lobbed everything. Looking at the outtakes, it took about 20 takes to make each of his scenes because no one could hold in their laughter. The thing I like about it is I went from crying to laughing in each episode. Don't know why but it really touched me. Both full seasons and Christmas specials are on youtube and Netflix.

No..it really divides opinion...some love it...some hate it.

For me, Derek was awful... where The Office used to surprise me and leave me in stitches.. Derek was just predictable and cringeful... and not in a good way like The Office. Just my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    For me, Derek was awful... where The Office used to surprise me and leave me in stitches.. Derek was just predictable and cringeful... and not in a good way like The Office. Just my opinion though.
    I completely understand and as I said it divides opinion, but I loved it. I didn't find it predictable and as I said was crying and laughing in most episodes. The critics reviews for it are awful. But just struck a nerve with me.

On a separate note, how embarrassed must this critic be with the terrible review of uk office. He thought his ascerbic writing was better than of the best modern comedies.

https://www.joe.co.uk/entertainment/...e-office-57354
    Waharoa likes this.

Watched a few episodes of Derek and roared with laughter.
    The Office left me cold and with a deep dislike of Gervais.
    Joeguevara likes this.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    Watched a few episodes of Derek and roared with laughter.
    The Office left me cold and with a deep dislike of Gervais.
    Go on YouTube and search for Ricky gervais highlights on the eleven o clock show. Most of his career including his standup is contained in that...pure genius.

I have to disagree about the office though...if I was to have one writing tome when I left this earth it would be that series. I consider it perfect. But as I said above the great thing about gervais is he divides opinion. He is not middle of the road. The looks he gives the camera, the way he makes a show of himself while still thinking he is a hero makes me like him more. The genius is that he makes you root for him even though in real life you would probably give him a smack. In the last Christmas special you want the girl to like him even though he is a buffoon and you are delighted when he tells finch to fcuk off. That's what I like about the writing. Nothing stands out as hilarious (not like only fools, fawlty towers, porridge or father ted) but everything works in the Office.

But on the flip side you are the first person who has ever said they have laughed out loud at derek. Watch the outtakes, especially kev. They make me cry with laughter. The other thing I love about Derek is the honesty. He knows his failings but wouldn't change his life for anything. We could all learn something from that.
    dawsey and Waharoa like this.

RG > CM ?? Lol
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

ok game of thrones has been ace ,first 3 eps,i love the prog to death,
    when it ends next year it will be like breaking bad,something is missing in my life i do not get up monday morning to see what the wicked witch cersie has done next,and fuck if you do not fancy the mother of dragons and hope she does win you are not a Man,innit,and the irish is coming back ,innit

^ Haven't watched a single episode 555

Quote Originally Posted by steve w View Post
    when it ends next year it will be like breaking bad,something is missing in my life i do not get up monday morning to see what the wicked witch cersie has done next,and fuck if you do not fancy the mother of dragons and hope she does win you are not a Man,innit,and the irish is coming back ,innit
    Yeah, absolutely love the season so far. Just the kind of show that should not be binge-watched. So many podcasts as well about reacting to the latest episode, predictions for the next, musing about overall theories, easter-eggs etc, etc. Easily stretches out the 1-hour show into 2 or 3 for me every Monday. Been a bit of a setup until now... but episode 4 promises some epic battle scenes.

Used to do that for Lost the first 3 - 4 seasons until it went to shite.

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    Yeah, absolutely love the season so far. Just the kind of show that should not be binge-watched. So many podcasts as well about reacting to the latest episode, predictions for the next, musing about overall theories, easter-eggs etc, etc. Easily stretches out the 1-hour show into 2 or 3 for me every Monday. Been a bit of a setup until now... but episode 4 promises some epic battle scenes.

Used to do that for Lost the first 3 - 4 seasons until it went to shite.
    in 2011 I watched the first two episodes... and at about the time Jamie was shagging his sister, decided I had seen enough... Pablo will be turning in his cockpit. But then last year... I gave it another go... and watched all six seasons in about two weeks... it was the dwarf and his side-kick that did it for me... funny fuckers...

Quote Originally Posted by steve w View Post
    uuuhhhh, thanks for the spoiler on Cersie. I wait till the end of the season to watch, so that is a spoiler for me.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

it took many people to finally talk me into watching it....and I'm glad they did.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Just watched the first episode of the new tv series "Mr Mercedes"....a David E Kelly production of a Stephen King Novel about a Mercedes Driver who crashes through a barrier full of people who are lined up outside a job searching conference in the wee small hours of a cold and foggy morning...

Brendan Gleeson (always a must see for me) stars as the retired cop haunted by "Mr Mercedes" and there are roles for Kelly Lynch and Mary Louise Parker amongst a great cast

I know it's early days but it does look very promising...gonna be hard for me to resist watching this one on a week to week basis
    Last edited by nelsonone; 13th August 2017 at 00:08.
    Waharoa and billpay like this.

Not to impressed with season 5 of House of Cards but fk how good is this season of Game of Thrones? Good to see Narcos season 3 starts in September.
    nelsonone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    Good to see Narcos season 3 starts in September.
    Where are they going with Narcos 3?
    With Pablo Escobar out of the picture I suppose it continues the story of the next guy to step into his shoes.
    I really enjoyed Seasons i & 2 but couldn't get into the series with El Chapo which was disappointing from what I did see.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    Not to impressed with season 5 of House of Cards but fk how good is this season of Game of Thrones? Good to see Narcos season 3 starts in September.
    GOT... too much action and not enough suspense for me... too rushed... they seemed to have discovered air travel...

Suspension of disbelief Nik 555. But sure, the one main criticism I would have as well is how quickly they appear to travel these days compared to previous seasons. But I accept the premise of fire-breathing dragons borne by humans, zombies... even time travel... so I'll not let logic stand in the way of pure enjoyment. Not been as giddy --- yes, giddy 555 --- to watch the next episode of a TV show in years. The last episode was pure magic, a set up like vintage House of Cards... but with dragons 555.
    Last edited by sundancekid; 14th August 2017 at 00:07.

^I much preferred it when Bolton was doing his evil deeds... 55

Surely that would be against the Geneva Conventions though... even in a fantasy setting. So I would strongly object 555.
    Waharoa likes this.

I think episodes 5 and 6 were better... more dialogue and intrigue... I zone out during action scenes... 55

Page 70 of 71 FirstFirst ... 206068697071 LastLast