Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Like Tree385Likes

Thread: Movie Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    I'm really looking forward to watching three new movies that started today at Jungceylon. The Great Gatsby, Lincoln, and Star Trek. I'll try to catch all three in the next week or so.
    Three really diverse movies.
    As a lifelong Trekky I was turned off the latest generation by IMO the director taking it back in time not forward. The bridge of the Enterprise looked like a 1980s neon lit posers palace, the warp drive control belonged on speedboat not a starship and what was with the parachutes, they had rocket powered boots 2 generations ago FFS. Hardly furturistic. 5555

Les Miserables

Just watched this on DVD , great story , fantastic songs/music , some great performances ...........

............ but not as good as I was expecting.

Anne Hathaway's performance was outstanding !
    Hugh Jackman's acting was excellent and his singing , while not top class , suited the character he played.
    Russell Crow I felt was miscast , both his acting and singing lacked emotion.

Overall the acting/singing was very good but at times the big visual effects took away from the intimate feeling the stage version had. Still worth watching but only 7/10 for me .

I first saw Les Mis in the West End in the late 1980's and really enjoyed the atmosphere , set design and haunting lyrics echoing around the theatre.

In 1995 I was lucky enough to get a ticket for the 10th Anniversary Gala Concert at The Royal Albert Hall , musically it was/is unbeatable ! A star cast (including Colm Wilkinson,Michael Ball, Lea Salonga and Alun Armstrong) performed all the songs backed by The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and a 200 member choir.

Les MisÚrables: The Dream Cast in Concert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At the end they brought on 17 singers from various countries who had all played the lead character (Jean Valjean) and they each sang a section of one of the songs , Whilst not as visually exciting as the stage/movie versions the music/singing is a definite 10/10 !
    sundancekid likes this.

sorry mr f but i just hate musicals,i could not bring myself to watch it,that is only a personal opinion of course

Quote Originally Posted by steve w View Post
    sorry mr f but i just hate musicals,i could not bring myself to watch it,that is only a personal opinion of course
    I'll watch Les Mis just because ....

... Anne Hathaway is like a breath of fresh air.
    Cheers, Rob.

well if AH gets her tits out I'm in as well...but otherwise i am with Satebe on musicals

^Same same, but I dont even care if she takes the girls out or not... that's what the internet is for... why sit through a musical?

Ann Hathaway has a great rack, check her out in 'Havoc', I have a copy in my bedroom 555
    kaptainrob likes this.

As you said, we all have different opinions. For me, the established movie classics do not really appeal much to me. Even titles like Casablanca, Ben Hur, etc. etc. Stories and productions aside, the theatrical (over) acting just reminds me too much of crappy Norwegian TV-matinees from the 80s.

On the other hand, I can somehow fully accept that kind of cartoonish --- for lack of a better word --- acting in the classic musicals. Can certainly rewatch stuff like Singing in the Rain, West Side Story, My Fair Lady etc over and over. Would happily tune in for Grease, the Lion King and Moulin Rouge as well.

And just to be a complete contrarian twat, don’t really care much for AH’s rack…

There are musicals and there are musicals , for example the movie of Les Miserables is based on the novel by Victor Hugo (who also wrote The Hunchback of Notre-Dame) , has a cast of top actors and won numerous awards (4 BAFTA , 3 GOLDEN GLOBE and 3 OSCARS) .

Phantom of the Opera is another that I really enjoyed , but then you come to the end of the spectrum with the newer "musicals" which are basically just a load of pop/rock songs rehashed to make money out of the 80's/90's nostalgia boom (We Will Rock You , Mamma Mia , Rock of Ages and the utterly forgettable Viva Forever).

Musicals are just like movies , some good some bad depending of people's personal taste.

Does Opera fall under the classification of musicals ?

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    As you said, we all have different opinions. For me, the established movie classics do not really appeal much to me. Even titles like Casablanca, Ben Hur, etc. etc. Stories and productions aside, the theatrical (over) acting just reminds me too much of crappy Norwegian TV-matinees from the 80s.

On the other hand, I can somehow fully accept that kind of cartoonish --- for lack of a better word --- acting in the classic musicals. Can certainly rewatch stuff like Singing in the Rain, West Side Story, My Fair Lady etc over and over. Would happily tune in for Grease, the Lion King and Moulin Rouge as well.

And just to be a complete contrarian twat, don’t really care much for AH’s rack…
    funny enough, i love it all
    musicals, broadway( i miss it terribly in Vancouver) corny musicals like old Elvis movies. the overacting in classic movies like Casablanca
    i love small plays, big/mainstream musicals like Lion King and Beauty and the Beast

Watched “The Life Of Pi” last night. Beautiful cinematography and a very different film.

All in all gave it a 7.5 out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by bawdy View Post
    Ann Hathaway has a great rack, check her out in 'Havoc', I have a copy in my bedroom 555
    and ann would really like to know that 555555

anybody seen the new star trek yet? ant opinions

^ Waiting to see that myself.

and ann would really like to know that 555555
    She knows, came out in the trial 555

Olympus Has Fallen (2013)

Gerard Butler, Morgan Freeman

Disgraced former Presidential guard Mike Banning finds himself trapped inside the White House in the wake of a terrorist attack; using his inside knowledge, Banning works with national security to rescue the President from his kidnappers

Overall i liked this film, probably wont be everyone's cup of tea but still worth a look see

Rating : 7/10
    known as josho86 from PI forums

Saw IronMan3 and Star Trek Into Darkness recently and they're both very difficult to discuss without spoilers. I will say that while i would give both movies a solid 7/10 they are similarly disappointing in some of the directions they took.
    I'm gonna make my own thread, with Blackjack and Hookers!

Saw Shadow Dancer (film) if you like a realistic, slow burning spy thriller... then this is quality stuff...

i went to see Mud last night with Matthew McCaunahy and Reese Witherspoon
    i heard it is tremendous

when i got to the theatre they had a blackout
    but all i hear is good reviews, may go tonight

Fast and Furious 6......as far as blockbusters go this one delivers as usual...its all in there again just like it says on the box....better than IM3 and ST as far as i was concerned

It would be nice to have a decent story/plot driven movie in the cinemas here right about now...I'm all blockbustered out

Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast