Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051
Results 1,001 to 1,017 of 1017
Like Tree381Likes

Thread: Movie Reviews

^ yep...quite liked it...though more in the espionage/intrique genre than straight out "war movie"...

Tarantino's "Inglourious Basterd's" also starring Pitt more in my wheelhouse... Terence Malik's "The Thin Red Line" whilst not for everyone (arthouse) Apocolypse Now, The Deer Hunter, Eastwood's "Letters from Iwojima"/"Flags of our Fathers" and Bigelow's The Hurt Locker are also faves...

But I also like some of the more Hollywood stuff too...Saving Private Ryan, Bridge on The River Kwai, Torai Torai Torai, A Bridge Too far etc etc...although I am looking at these through a different (populist/nostalgic) critical "lens"
    Waharoa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    ^ yep...quite liked it...though more in the espionage/intrique genre than straight out "war movie"...

Tarantino's "Inglourious Basterd's" also starring Pitt more in my wheelhouse... Terence Malik's "The Thin Red Line" whilst not for everyone (arthouse) Apocolypse Now, The Deer Hunter, Eastwood's "Letters from Iwojima"/"Flags of our Fathers" and Bigelow's The Hurt Locker are also faves...

But I also like some of the more Hollywood stuff too...Saving Private Ryan, Bridge on The River Kwai, Torai Torai Torai, A Bridge Too far etc etc...although I am looking at these through a different (populist/nostalgic) critical "lens"
    Inglourious Basterds was great... I also liked Pitt in Fury as well. Another war film...

Really thought IB was very overrated, and aside from the opening scene, did not like it al all.
    Thought Fury was very good.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Don't go see "hostiles". It's blows hard.

End of review.
    Waharoa and tnlawyer like this.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

watched Shot Caller last night

Shot Caller (2017) - IMDb

scary to think one day you a broker, next day you in general pop and what to do to stay alive...

Murder on the Orient Express starring Kenneth Branagh, Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer, Judy Dench, William Dafoe,Derek Jacobi, Penelope Cruz among others.

Very enjoyable yarn with spectacular scenery. The first Agatha Christie adaptation I have watched before and an all round decent film.

Solid 7/10
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Irish movie on Netflix called ‘Cardboard Gangsters’. Portrayal of low level organized crime in Dublin. Good few actors from Love Hate. Critically acclaimed and from a professional point of view very real to life. Good soundtrack. Also watched ‘filth’ last night. Based on one of my favorite books from Irvine Welsh of Trainspotting acclaim. Always wondered could it be made into a film with all the imagery and inner monologue. James mcavoy of last king of Scotland does brilliantly. Not as good as the book but a brilliant film.

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    Three Biilboards outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Where to start with this one. Golden Globe winner sees a powerful lead performance from Frances Mc Dormand and ably backed by Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell.
    It took almost an hour 30 minutes for me to realise this was a comedy drama and could easily have been written and directed by Quentin Tarantino it was that quirky.
    Dark, violent and pretty unbelievable could all be attributed to this film and I'm not sure it deserves the accolades it already has.
    Spoilt for me by a very unsatisfactory ending and no closure on the whole story. 7/10 at best from me.
    I started watching this on the plane and I only watched the 1st 20mins because it was edited for cursing and that drove me nuts

But I loved what I watched.
    It seems you may have went into it viewing it as a straight movie
    When you need to realize it is supposed to be absurd......sort of like Fargo

I am going to watch it this weekend
    But I expect I will love the rest of it

^ well...it is from Martin McDonnagh...the guy who made "In Bruges"....555

I liked how flawed all of the characters are in this one...some moreso than others...but despite that you do have some sympathy/empathy with all of them...again, some moreso than others...

Great story and dialogue..it's very "black" and raw in parts...some brilliant acting right down to even those smallest of cameo performances...obviously McDormond and Harrelson stand out, but for me Sam Rockwell steals the show...not sure if he is nominated for "Best Supporting Actor" but he played it wonderfully, warts and all

I'll probably pop back in for another look before the Academy Awards....I expect it to do well in the acting awards

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    It seems you may have went into it viewing it as a straight movie
    When you need to realize it is supposed to be absurd......sort of like Fargo
    I did, and that is what disappointed me. Why did it have to be absurd and not just a straight story with closure?

I don't deny its an excellent movie with exceptionally good acting, but as an entertaining film it was a disappointment for me.
    As I said previously, it will win a fistful of awards.

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    I did, and that is what disappointed me. Why did it have to be absurd and not just a straight story with closure?

I don't deny its an excellent movie with exceptionally good acting, but as an entertaining film it was a disappointment for me.
    As I said previously, it will win a fistful of awards.
    I'm mostly the same as you...........I like a straight movie

But I think it was from finally watching the Fargo TV series, I got into that weird type of movie/show recently

^Did you like In Bruges?

I quite enjoyed Seven Psychopaths too...

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    ^Did you like In Bruges?

I quite enjoyed Seven Psychopaths too...
    Yes, absolutely loved it

Any movie with Chris Walken I will want to see

Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    Any movie with Chris Walken I will want to see
    Whenever I see him in interviews he seems even more surreal than he does in movies...

I like the off beat villain guys.

David Carradine was another one.

Characters in real life.
    Waharoa likes this.

Geostorm starring Gerard Butler was an easy way to spend a couple of hours. Reasonable story and excellent special FX failed to lift this film above average.
    Slated by film critics, it wasn't that bad but despite the FX, they went OTT and the film unbelievable, especially the car chase near the end.
    With a $120m budget it should have been better. 5/10

Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051