Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152
Results 1,021 to 1,036 of 1036
Like Tree383Likes

Thread: Movie Reviews

The Greatest Showman starring Hugh Jackman.
    Not really my type of movie, but it caught my eye so gave it a spin. Hugh Jackman was extremely good, has a good voice and the musical score in this film is top class. A good cast too which made it watchable although I almost turned it off a couple of times 555
    Not bad at all. 7/10
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    The Outsider on Netflix

Jared Leto plays a white guy in the Yakuza in the 50's in Japan

The setting is fantastic and the movie premise has a lot of promise but the acting is atrocious

I was really looking forward to this and it was a struggle to get through

The only positive is Asian girls dressed in the 50's
    I absolutely love that look!
    This came up on my list of streams, so I'll take a look soon. The yazuka, like the mafia does interest me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rake View Post

Kung Fu Hustle - It will have you in stitches.
    Brilliant movie, must have seen it 15-20 times..

Edit: Think I'll see it again today

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    This came up on my list of streams, so I'll take a look soon. The yazuka, like the mafia does interest me.
    If you haven't seen it - Black Rain - the story, the acting and my God the soundtrack!

^ Thanks for the recommendation Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    Dunkirk

Dialogue is sparse...the situational action and suspense is edge of the seat...some stunning sweeping shots and panned scenes across the beach and harbour showing endless streams of soldiers being evacuated...aerial dogfight scenes are brilliant, as are the shots of German bombers blowing the shit out of the British ships and boats in the harbour...the desperation of the situation is captured to near perfection

Great movie albeit decidedly short for an epic...I was kinda shocked that it was all over in about 100 minutes
    Finally got around to watching this. What a great movie... nothing manufactured... just very real... I couldn't take my eyes off it...

Your reviews always seem pretty accurate...
    Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    "Wind River"...Jeremy Renner is a parks and wildlife scout/hunter on an Indian (Arapahoe) Reservation in deep snow/mountain country Wyoming....he is out hunting a rogue mountain lion and her cubs one day when he comes across the body of a young Indian girl in the snow...someone he knows well and whose life is entangled with his own family

an FBI agent is called in...Elizabeth Olsen who seems completely out of her depth, and together with the local Reservation Chief of Police an investigation begins into this death

The story unfolds beautifully as do the characters...the snow/mountain scapes are stunning and the sense of desperation and despair of the people living on the reservation rings loud and clear

This is a masterfully crafted detective story...snowscape noir...with characters of real depth and emotion...the script is as sparse and powerful as the landscape and the characters who inhabit it

One of my favourite films of the year without doubt...I highly recommend viewing
    Watched this as well at the weekend... realised after 20 mins I had seen it before and given up on it as didn't appeal...stuck with it this time.... and I still don't get it... felt b-grade right through... none of it felt believable at all... whether it was poor acting, not sure. Just felt contrived.. from the far-too-good-looking FBI agent to the comically retarded "frat-pack" security guys...

One of the few film reviews I didn't feel the same as you... ah well.. nobody agrees on everything.. 55

Now to give "Disobedience" a go....
    Last edited by Waharoa; 23rd July 2018 at 14:36.
    Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people.

Wow, I feel just the opposite. Dunkirk was ok, not close to great, and I loved Wind River.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    Wow, I feel just the opposite. Dunkirk was ok, not close to great, and I loved Wind River.
    What finished it off for me was when the reservation cops drew weapons on the security guys... so after a stand-off they all put their weapons back in their holsters... (because the cute girlie called rank.. 55) and as if nothing has happened, they walk off towards the cabins... I laughed out loud at that point...

I would really love to see the film Nels talked about... sounds great... wasn't the one I saw though... then again I always struggle with Renner... his facial expression never seems to change... he has the permanent grimace of someone defusing a bomb...

What I liked about Dunkirk, is that it was different... just a day in the life of the Dunkirk evacuation... it took you there and immersed you in it... no overly-contrived faux story lines... The only part that let it down was Kenneth Branagh himself... his character was so "out of character" with the rest of the film...
    Last edited by Waharoa; 24th July 2018 at 03:59.

^Different strokes, oh well.
    I found Wind River very credible.....hey no movie is perfect, but if you just sit and pick apart movies you just lose the entertainment aspect. I can’t imagine anyone not liking this movie.
    Dunkirk left me unsatisfied for some reason......and there just was no wow factor.

I found Wind River very credible.....hey no movie is perfect, but if you just sit and pick apart movies you just lose the entertainment aspect. I can’t imagine anyone not liking this movie.
    Dunkirk left me unsatisfied for some reason......and there just was no wow factor.
    Dunkirk was boring as hell, IMO

It had no sort of personal storyline

And I really enjoyed Wind River
    I wasn't looking to give it an Oscar
    Just a good storyline I thought

90% of Nelson's reviews of films are spot on for me... that's why I try to watch what he recommends. He also tends to pick out films that aren't mainstream, which I like. And he has picked out quite a few in the past few years (as well as TV shows) that have been fantastic. Like The Great beauty and The Young Pope.

Wind River's problem for me is that the only character you are allowed to get to know was Renner... and it's hard for me to feel sympathy for him.. 55. But the Indian girl.. you didn't get to know, nor her boyfriend... nor the security guys... what motivated them to be a pack of unconscionable bastards? So I didn't really feel any empathy for anyone... which left you with Renner... and a load of periphery characters.... so I guess that's why it never really appealed...

Dunkirk deliberately had no story lines... or a million story lines.. take your pic... and it really drew me in... it really felt like I was in the middle of it... and I did feel the desperation... something Nels mentions about Wind River... which I couldn't feel at all...
    sundancekid likes this.

Last night I watched a very good foreign film, Korean, that won the Academy Award for best foreign language film.
    The name was The Handmaiden. I downloaded the uncut, uncensored version that was nearly 3 hours long.
    Absolutely some of the best erotic scenes I have seen in years. Two beautiful Asian girls are featured.
    Beautifully done. Plot was good and acting was great.
    Highly, highly recommend this. Just need to find the uncut version with English subs.
    Waharoa likes this.

tried to send you a PM with a link to the above Bill but your inbox is full...let me know when you clear it out a bit and I will resend it

It is not full.....many times it says full?...
    anyway I deleted some messages

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    Darkest Hour starring Gary Oldman has Oscar written all over it. Superb acting from Oldman who is so convincing as Churchill, summoned to form a government when Chamberlain lost the support of everyone.

Thoroughly enjoyed this film although the screen time only covered a couple of weeks when it seemed Britain may have to negotiate a peace deal with Hitler. Churchill, to begin with was lost, broken by bad news coming from everywhere and no help coming from America.
    His turnaround, with George V1 eventually supporting him after earlier reservations and backing the Foreign Secretary Vicount Hawthorne is superb viewing, as is the portrayal of Chamberlain who was resigned to a peace deal of any sort to begin with.

Best film I have seen in a long time and has to win awards at any film ceremony this year. 9.5/10
    Just watched Darkest Hour... I concur with everything you say... fantastic film.. no wonder Gary Oldman won an Oscar. Certainly depicts how close we came to bending over for Hitler... on small things does history change (and the right man in the right place.. at the right time... or dumb luck) And it dovetails quite nicely with Dunkirk... opposite ends of the same spectrum...

Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152