Thread: The Seven Sisters Oil cartel. (Documentary series)

The Seven Sisters Oil cartel. (Documentary series)

A four part documentary series from Al Jazeera about the seven sisters oil cartel.

The Secret of the Seven Sisters - Special series - Al Jazeera English

Worth a look.

I didn't watch the videos, but the article itself was interesting enough...

Interesting summary to video 4...

These are the new Seven Sisters.

Saudi Arabia's Saudi Aramco, the largest and most sophisticated oil company in the world; Russia's Gazprom, a company that Russia's President Vladimir Putin wrested away from the oligarchs; The China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC), which, along with its subsidiary, Petrochina, is the world's secnd largest company in terms of market value; The National Iranian Oil Company, which has a monopoly on exploration, extraction, transportation and exportation of crude oil in Iran – OPEC's second largest oil producer after Saudi Arabia; Venezuela's PDVSA, a company the late president Hugo Chavez dismantled and rebuilt into his country's economic engine and part of his diplomatic arsenal; Brazil's Petrobras, a leader in deep water oil production, that pumps out 2 million barrels of crude oil a day; and Malaysia's Petronas - Asia's most profitable company in 2012.

Mainly state-owned, the new Seven Sisters control a third of the world's oil and gas production, and more than a third of the world's reserves. The old Seven Sisters, by comparison, produce a tenth of the world's oil, and control only three percent of the reserves.
    The balance has shifted.
    Last edited by Waharoa; 27th April 2013 at 00:50.

^ I haven't watched that one myself yet. It must have been put up in the last 24 hours. The other three are good, I'll probably watch it later.
    Last edited by PadMC; 27th April 2013 at 00:53.

Fixed... 555

I was quite surprised by this...

The old Seven Sisters, by comparison, produce a tenth of the world's oil, and control only three percent of the reserves.

Excellent series, thanks for the heads-up.
    Cheers, Rob.