Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Asian Female

Seeking Asian Female

I'm watching this right now and it is a trip. A 60 year old guy that works as a cashier at San Francisco airport gets a 30 yo? Chinese woman to move to Frisco to marry him. She speaks no English. And she's going through major culture shock. He's a bit of a doofus but is a nice guy.

The female documentarian is a self rightious Chinese American female but being a transloator she is saving their relationship from the hiccups.

He has a one bedroom apartment and she is starting to yell at him all the time...55

I hope it works out.

Seeking Asian Female | Quirky Documentary about a Love Match Made Online | Independent Lens | PBS

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    I'm watching this right now and it is a trip. A 60 year old guy that works as a cashier at San Francisco airport gets a 30 yo? Chinese woman to move to Frisco to marry him. She speaks no English. And she's going through major culture shock. He's a bit of a doofus but is a nice guy.

The female documentarian is a self rightious Chinese American female but being a transloator she is saving their relationship from the hiccups.

He has a one bedroom apartment and she is starting to yell at him all the time...55

I hope it works out.

Seeking Asian Female | Quirky Documentary about a Love Match Made Online | Independent Lens | PBS
    haha
    i just watched it
    funny enough.....i am scoffing at the guy but in the end, i am rooting for the doofus! perfect word for him

it was funny the chinese-american girl wanted everything she thought to be right

you and him should hang,bro

by the way
    i obviously went down a much different path than this guy, knowing Ao for quite a while

but i'd be lying to say if there wasn't many of the same type of moments with Ao when she moved to Canada and still some to this day
    i just couldn't imagine being this guy really not knowing her, her not understanding as much as Ao did
    just wow

but i think the fact he is such a doofus works in his favor actually

He started with the fundamentals. Pre computers. Mail order catalogs. How can I compete with that? 55

Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    It's funny though that one being an excessive Asiaphile and love all about it, doesn't know the language?

Never heard about the term Asiaphile before, sure it isn't meant in a bad way, but it sounds kind of nasty ;-)
    i think Asiaphile is certainly meant to be bad

many Thaiphiles on these forums that know fcuk all Thai

His brother spent $20k on the wedding. And they loaned her mother $1k for a boob job...55

Anglophile - someone who loves all things English. (localized)
    Francophile - " " " " " French (rare)
    Germanophile - " " " " " German (rarer)
    Thaiophile - very common internationally.555!

Doesn't necessarily mean speaking the language - it means a lover of the culture and all matters pertaining to that country's people.
    Last edited by Evilbaz; 7th May 2013 at 15:25.

Sure, but since *philes indicates something excessive, than out of 'all matters', I think language & communication is almost the most important part of a culture?

I reckon we would all speak perfect Thai here if it would just be a tiny bit more easy ... as mentioned before this week in another thread, Spanish is relatively easy to learn.

I'll would bet that 100% of Spainophiles also speak the language, or good bits of it ;-)

Most of us are either discouraged or lazy and need to make an better effort.
    i think out of any country i have been to
    Thai's seem to discourage people most to speak their language
    sure, they think it is cute if you know "hog nam" or things like that
    but i have seen people who have made real efforts to learn the language be made fun of

Geespot and Mai Chob are two guys i think have made quite and effort to learn the language, Jaybee also
    and i have seen thai girls make fun of them or even tell me they aren't speaking it well
    and i am like, "wtf, these guys are trying, there is some credit deserved there"

Plus theres the amazing frustration of Thais simply not 'interpolating' things said slightly incorrectly.. theres very little guessing or substitution to solve something they just blank.

I cant get my head around why they are unable to do that.. But it makes trying very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Plus theres the amazing frustration of Thais simply not 'interpolating' things said slightly incorrectly.. theres very little guessing or substitution to solve something they just blank.

I cant get my head around why they are unable to do that.. But it makes trying very hard.
    people will say it is because of the tones but i think it is pure laziness and lack of trying, if you ask me

His brother spent $20k on the wedding. And they loaned her mother $1k for a boob job...55
    Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    i think out of any country i have been to
    Thai's seem to discourage people most to speak their language
    sure, they think it is cute if you know "hog nam" or things like that
    but i have seen people who have made real efforts to learn the language be made fun of

Geespot and Mai Chob are two guys i think have made quite and effort to learn the language, Jaybee also
    and i have seen thai girls make fun of them or even tell me they aren't speaking it well
    and i am like, "wtf, these guys are trying, there is some credit deserved there"
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post

Even when you make the maximum effort to learn Thai language/Culture you are quickly put back in your place of "Farang don't understand". So you are forced to use the protection of "Being a Doofus" to make any headway on your own account.
    Anyone think I'm wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    people will say it is because of the tones but i think it is pure laziness and lack of trying, if you ask me
    Agreed.. Or a lack of innate guesswork and problem solving.. A tone is simply another phoneme, no more different than a vowel substitution or some other error.

I know, but still this should not discourage to keep on trying. It can be frustrating if you order 'a coffee' in a coffee shop and get black stares, followed by the paradigm shift of ... ahhh cafeeeeee .... when the wifes tells them?

Doesn't matter, keep on trying, you only get better anyway, at least you start to understand more, which in itself is a massive improvement.

Back to this guy, again, this is in a marriage. Your spouse will not give you the 'sorry, don't understand because its a wrong tone' as you get in shops or on the street.
    really?
    my idiot wife does it to me all the time!!!

just as she is receptive to being corrected on English
    i would very much welcome her to figure out what i mean then correct me

but she just stares at me the same way my dog does

Just finished it - I like it!

Cheers for the heads up, I look forward to watching it. Sounds great fun

here is a follow up
    seems they have made it last and like most girls that come over and people think they coming for the money, she seems to be working hard to make a good life
    good for them
    and Steven seems to have it a bit more together than the film portrayed

Steven of Seeking Asian Female Talks about Online Dating, "Asian Fetish," and Relationship Advice | Independent Lens Blog

So the film was over a few years period. That makes a big difference in my perception of the process. Burlingame huh?

So the film was over a few years period. That makes a big difference in my perception of the process. Burlingame huh?
    what is Burlingame?

That's where they live. it's a little burb south of SF. Nothing to do there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast