Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Doomsday Preppers

Doomsday Preppers

Anyone seen Doomsday Preppers (on national geographic in Thailand)????? What a bunch of losers 555

Not got round to downloading any of these.. No idea how they bias the show..

I would like to see a show that focus on self sufficiency and self reliance, the off grid kinda thing.. But if its just guys stockpiling ammo and ramen your going purely for the kook value.

Yeah, they are getting ready for war, defending their house, stocking up food and drilling their kids how to use gas masks and guns...............Another series was showing vegetarians how to kill and eat birds 5555

Saw one where are couple of novice preppers were showing a couple of highly experienced preppers ((Carrying sidearms) where they go to pan for gold, and looking for advice The experienced guys were committing it all to memory and looked much more interested in looking for ways to hijack their stuff should the need ever arise....Hope it "Pans out" for them...

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Yeah, they are getting ready for war, defending their house, stocking up food and drilling their kids how to use gas masks and guns...............Another series was showing vegetarians how to kill and eat birds 5555
    Like "Big Brother" made-for-TV-addicts crap ... I only ever watched part of one episode each.

Discovery Channel or torrent sites have many excellent 'alternate life-style' docco's. Power, potable water and food supply being the most interesting subjects depending on one's location.... or how big a gun you have.
    Cheers, Rob.

I am no where near a prepper.. But I do think we take the thin veneer of social structure way too much for granted.. Simple normalcy bias. You only need to look what happened to Argentina (the ferfal book is well worth your time IMO) or places like bosnia etc where war and conflict has stripped that away very fast. It breaks down much faster than people will think when modern supply chains break.

I also think that simple things, that people only 50 years ago would not have found unusual, simple country life, have become alien to us, hence making us less able to deal with those shocks. Dispatching and dressing an animal for the table, foraged food and wild growing edibles, basic stuff.. My old fella has recently started a few flocks of birds (geese, turkeys, chickens, etc) and our christmas bird this year was one of the best I have ever tasted. He also gets a large proportion of his meat intake from hunted wild game and fishing, a freezer full of venison and trout / makrel.. These days your weird or at least unusual if you have vegetable patch, but how many of our grandparents did ??

Stuff like that is I think skills, and appreciation we would all do better to have a stronger appreciation for.. Thats not bunker in the garden stuff, but simply healthier, better tasting, and more 'connected to' our supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I am no where near a prepper.. But I do think we take the thin veneer of social structure way too much for granted.. Simple normalcy bias. You only need to look what happened to Argentina (the ferfal book is well worth your time IMO) or places like bosnia etc where war and conflict has stripped that away very fast. It breaks down much faster than people will think when modern supply chains break.

I also think that simple things, that people only 50 years ago would not have found unusual, simple country life, have become alien to us, hence making us less able to deal with those shocks. Dispatching and dressing an animal for the table, foraged food and wild growing edibles, basic stuff.. My old fella has recently started a few flocks of birds (geese, turkeys, chickens, etc) and our christmas bird this year was one of the best I have ever tasted. He also gets a large proportion of his meat intake from hunted wild game and fishing, a freezer full of venison and trout / makrel.. These days your weird or at least unusual if you have vegetable patch, but how many of our grandparents did ??

Stuff like that is I think skills, and appreciation we would all do better to have a stronger appreciation for.. Thats not bunker in the garden stuff, but simply healthier, better tasting, and more 'connected to' our supplies.
    Agree on that......I was born and raised on a small farm, and we did all that stuff. Hunting and fishing was something we had to do to get food on the table. Think it was a healthy way of growing up.......Others growing up in big cities (and kids today) will have a really hard time if the world turns really bad...

Agree with both here as well. My grandparents had a small farm and we used to go hunting and fishing all the time. Would like to at least set up an organic garden wherever I go next. Not necessarily because of a pending doom, but wouldn't hurt if resources became strapped.

Even if the world doesnt turn bad..

I think its weird how people think meat comes in cellophane and shrink wrap but cant do something simple like gut a fish.. One of my good buddies couldnt and wouldnt even clean a fish we were going to BBQ !!

We have become totally reliant on all these complex systems, supply chains, processed everything.. I dont think its good for us, the best tasting, or a strong system. I hope after building on our land, to have a veg patch, many fruit trees, to maybe have some chickens or have a play with aquaponics for fish and veg.. I dont for a minute think I am going 'back to nature' but fruit from your own trees, organic herbs and salads, that kind of stuff really appeals to me. Must be getting old.
    geir likes this.

I dont know if you consider this part of the prepper mindset.. but I get the Simon Black email stuff.. And I have pondered this a fair bit..

Sovereign Man: Sovereign Village Updates

Investment in productive farmland.. Its own water, its own food, making a return on your money, and in a clean, low tax, leave you alone kind of country..

Just had a brief look at the web site.........A bit to "green" to me, more like a cult kind of thing. I'll rather be on my own in the jungle/countryside than living in a sort of fanatic green village.

Just had a brief look at the web site.........A bit to "green" to me, more like a cult kind of thing. I'll rather be on my own in the jungle/countryside than living in a sort of fanatic green village.
    I think they are far less 'green' than 'independent' is the focus of the kind of investor and choir he preaches too..

Thing with being alone of things go south is a community is stronger than an individual in tough times.

While this link is better suited for the xanex and ammuntion.. You have to wonder how far from breaking point some of these club med states are.

Spanish prelate fears 'mutual hatred' over euro crisis - Telegraph

64% youth unemployment !! This same script will cover greece, soon slovenia, possibly even italy.. All these structures, the EU, the Euro, social order and stability have all been put into jeopardy by this centralizing of power to the euro super state. Without the natural balancing of the currency movements, and trying to keep a brittle system alive, the pain that is being inflicted is too high a price.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I think they are far less 'green' than 'independent' is the focus of the kind of investor and choir he preaches too..

Thing with being alone of things go south is a community is stronger than an individual in tough times.
    Communities have always weak or soft elements that might make problems for others...in hard times people will steal from each other, and no matter how green or independent the community is shit will hit the fan........I think a small group of people, 2-3, will have a bigger chance to survive. Anyway It's not likely to turn that bad and the number of zombies is way lower than in the movies 555

Communities have always weak or soft elements that might make problems for others...in hard times people will steal from each other, and no matter how green or independent the community is shit will hit the fan........I think a small group of people, 2-3, will have a bigger chance to survive. Anyway It's not likely to turn that bad and the number of zombies is way lower than in the movies 555

Did I mention guns, lots of guns? 555

Yes
    I thought Katrina was a good example of how fast things can break down..New O looked like a third world country after a couple of days..

I dont find it difficult to understand where the preppers are coming from...not my thing though..

I have lived the last twenty years in OZ on rainwater ( no connection to town water) and aseptic tank and it felt good to be even that much independent, also a back up generator for power cuts.

When I first went to OZ..I saw how comfortable many ozzie guys were in being in the bush,getting fires together,catching fish or hunting etc..as a UK town boy...i had never done stuff like that..I think a collapse would devastate town people especially in Europe with the population density and little land.

That was a major factor in my thinking in the 80's when choosing OZ...so I was a bit out with the timing I am happy to say.

Now I feel bring born after ww2 and before the resources ran out has been one of the best times to be alive.

I often wonder where i would rather be in a collapse OZ or Issan both have things going for them.....certainly not in any city

With a bit of luck it will still take a while and I will be dead ....but i think in some form its coming

Like anything, the prepper thing can be taken too far... that said, I actually beieve that some prepping is a very healthy and normal things to do. As Sef said, civilized society is just a veneer. Shit breaks down quickly when just a very few of the foundation stones are pulled (power, water, money, something)... and it will quickly become a survival contest. As has been famously repeated "it took them 3 days to get water to the Katrina victims", so I wouldnt count on any authorities to save you if something more than just a temporary storm hits home.

Having some food put aside, some back up source of power, and yes, firearms to protect yourself and hunt with... I see nothing loser in that. Makes perfect sense, imo. When I settle in central america, it's definitely in my plan to learn to hunt and to store some food & water & medicines... better to be prepared and not need it than the other way around.

I'm not slagging that, but the TV programs are way over the top.......The people involved there (the experts and the regulars) are just making fools out of themselves

I'm not slagging that, but the TV programs are way over the top.......The people involved there (the experts and the regulars) are just making fools out of themselves
    Like I said, I have not seen the show and think its very easy to find people that are going to look foolish..

But theres lots of aspects, from growing your own food, to having a good water source for your home and a generator, to very simple low cost things that will really help you in the event of a heavy storm, extended power outage, or even a week or so of some kind of social order issues.

That's how I'm living 6 months of the year on KP 555...............Joy is actually growing some vegetables on KP and in Ranong.......Not much to hunt tho, except from women.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast