Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Physical VS Digital

Physical VS Digital

Does anyone prefer old fashioned books i.e. the ones made of trees and prefer actual DVDs rather than downloads?

I got myself a Kindle about a year ago but only find myself buying those books that aren't available in paper back and some of the real oldie books that are now free

But apart from that it's the 'real' books all the way. Kinda weird but just don't get the same feeling reading off of a kindle. Also feel like getting short changed a bit. I mean often paying the same or a little bit more for a kindle version but not getting anything 'physical' feels wrong.

And movies and TV shows... I know can get most online for free but nothing beats a nice big DVD collection. And you can get them pretty cheap now days. Just the other day picked up 10 classic DVDs that I hadn't seen in ages, like Fight Club, Leon etc all for 30. Not bad I reckon.

Hope this digital age doesn't completely retire DVDs and real books...but I guess only a matter of time.

Yep I definitely prefer the old fashioned DVD and books, the internet has changed this primarily due to cost or lack thereof. Lets see how successful it is when people have to cough up for it. It's hard to change, I couldn't be arsed digitizing all my cd's but if I only ever knew mp3's they're already done.

Easy in the west.. complete hassle out here..

the extra postage costs.. the import taxes.. etc etc..

Plus DVD's all low def.. I want HD..

Yes I like a real book over a kindle book.. But the kindle book I click the button and its there, no matter where I am in the world.. The physical one is too much hassle to get to me.

would be different in the UK / US etc.

Used to have a very nostalgic take on this as well. Granted, this was before the kindle age, but loved roaming around those used book stores. Whenever I sense a whiff of that smell I go sentimental.

Think the pleasure of owning physical things started to wane after I moved here. Not just for media content either. Just too impractical. And having the real classic stuff on HD stored in multiple places feels even more permanent in a sense.

I had two big boxes of books destroyed by termites in my place in Patong, never bothered replacing them, as LiL says not easy to obtain the ones you want.

As for DVDs I have hundreds of movies lined up on a single hard drive just a push of a button away, never get scratch and childproof. You can keep your quaint DVDs.

pretty much with Sef...I'm all but itinerant these days so it all has to be able to travel with me on my laptop

back in AUS/NZ I have huge libraries of movies on DVD, music on CD and books in shelves...not to mention art on the walls and around the house (which I really miss)....i just don't have that luxury here

I do have about 10 or so books about the house here at any one time however I tend to swap those with visitors or at the local exchanges when I can

Yes
    I like real books and the feel of reading them...but I read from kindle almost exclusively. ...book shops in LOS just don"t have what I want ..and its only a click away on kindle.

I really don't like that i do not know how to share the books with friends.

Also i have done the whole having a library on the walls thing....I like I have so many books and no weight.

Also spending lots of time in hotel rooms its often hard to get the light good for reading paper books ...no problem with K

Books and Movies i can download, don't really want to keep them in boxes.

However i still buy CDs, and only USA Press CDs. Can say i am an audiophile.

Always been a reader and only got a kindle last year.

Anything work related or referance stuff; dictionary, thesaurus, industry stuff I like real copies and have them here.

I can't imagine reading fiction or anything entertaining / lightweight in any other way than on the kindle platform now. The only thing that bugs is that they nag me to turn it off before the plane lands.

I don't think I own a DVD, I have somes CDs but they are a relic of my past and will be scrapped when the room gets its makeover.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Books and Movies i can download, don't really want to keep them in boxes.

However i still buy CDs, and only USA Press CDs. Can say i am an audiophile.
    I'm with you on the CDs as well. Maybe a fall back from the full LP days. But I like the ritual of fanning through the shelves and rediscovering tracks I've forgotten. Also this way I have a permanent source.

Books are pulp all the way. The smell and feel of paper is something I hope stays during my lifetime.

I rarely buy a movie because if I own it I won't ever watch it. I prefer being surprised by my premium channels when they offer up a classic.

real books all the way
    i beat them up, lay by the pool

plus, if you have friends that actually read you can get good exchanges going

literally just 10 minutes ago i was ragging on the guys in work because none of them read
    me and my old boss used to swap books all the time, but now that he is gone, no one else reads

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    real books all the way
    i beat them up, lay by the pool

plus, if you have friends that actually read you can get good exchanges going

literally just 10 minutes ago i was ragging on the guys in work because none of them read
    me and my old boss used to swap books all the time, but now that he is gone, no one else reads
    I'm rereading Jack Kerouac's 2nd classic Big Sur. A fine, somewhat yellowed, paperback I bought when I first moved to Frisco and was turned on to the Beat Generation period.

^ Kerouac was a talent free poster boy.....

give me Ginsberg's poetry, Burrough's novels and Hunter S' commentaries any day....I still have all of their voices etched in my head....forever

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post

give me Ginsberg's poetry, Burrough's novels and Hunter S' commentaries any day....I still have all of their voices etched in my head....forever
    Care to back that up with a reason? Or did you just want to insult my taste in reading.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    Can't agree with you there. I guess it's a matter of taste and the time and place when you read books. I always liked "On the road" for it's genuine originality and youthfulness, its a book I've read more than once. It's a blast (literally) of a read imo. I read it before years ago and re read it again after a few weeks. I guess if I was to re read it now I'd probably think differently. That can be said of any book I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree

I'm rereading Jack Kerouac's 2nd classic Big Sur. A fine, somewhat yellowed, paperback I bought when I first moved to Frisco and was turned on to the Beat Generation period.
    One of his best and last books, very good read also imo. Him reflecting on his life as he drinks himself to death... Depressing but very real and honest as I recall. I wouldn't recommend Big Sur to be an introduction to Keroauc, or the first book you read of his. It's years since I read both books.
    Last edited by PadMC; 16th May 2013 at 01:53.

Quote Originally Posted by PadMC View Post
    Can't agree with you there. I guess it's a matter of taste and the time and place when you read books. I always liked "On the road" for it's genuine originality and youthfulness, its a book I've read more than once. It's a blast (literally) of a read imo. I read it before years ago and re read it again after a few weeks. I guess if I was to re read it now I'd probably think differently. That can be said of any book I suppose.

One of his best and last books, very good read also imo. Him reflecting on his life as he drinks himself to death... Depressing but very real and honest as I recall. It's years since I read both books.
    Have you seen the latest On the Road film? Kristen Stewart is in it. It's a good watch for JK fans. And there is a Big Sur indy film out now that I'm looking forward to. I've spent a lot of time in Big Sur so I can really appreciate his descriptions.

"That's not writing, that's typing!" 555

Still enjoyed Kerouac especially when travelling. But afraid Nels is the ultimate authority on the beats...

I'll stick with the Scandinavians, French and Germans for my best reads.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Have you seen the latest On the Road film? Kristen Stewart is in it. It's a good watch for JK fans. And there is a Big Sur indy film out now that I'm looking forward to. I've spent a lot of time in Big Sur so I can really appreciate his descriptions.
    Really did look forward to it, but thought Dean Moriarty was just horribly miscast. At least, not at all what I had in mind. Not even Stewart's boobs could save it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Cheers for reminding me Dupe, I haven't seen it yet but had intended to. If I'm ever to visit California checking out Big Sur and the Pacific highway would be MUST see's for me. Steinbecks old stomping ground of Monterey also, where Cannery Row was set, another great read too imo..

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post

I'll stick with the Scandinavians, French and Germans for my best reads.
    Russians, British and Irish for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast