Thread: American Hustle

American Hustle

I went the 1st night it was out
    You really have to understand what type of movie this is to really enjoy it
    The previews looked good but i didn't really read any reviews
    I knew the true story behind it so crooked politicians, mob and the way the previews are i was expecting a serious type almost gangster film
    But what it really is, and you need to have this mindset going in to appreciate the film, is a goofy Goodfellas
    It took me a bit too long to figure out this was the direction of the film but once i did i really enjoyed, some parts are laugh out loud funny

I almost want to go see it again with the total mindset of it being a goofy Goodfellas

I saw it yesterday, and have mixed feelings about it. Firstly, I thought the acting was terrific, especially Christian Bale, all performances were great.
    The music was really good also, and was weaved very well into the story. Many of those songs bring back a lot of memories for me.
    Anyway, the plot was a bit convoluted and the movies was a bit long. But on reflection, they length of the movie was needed to explain the story.

The more time thinking about the movie, the more I realize it was a very good movie and really, really captured that moment in history perfectly.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    The more time thinking about the movie, the more I realize it was a very good movie and really, really captured that moment in history perfectly.
    perfectly said
    i was walking home from the movie and the more i thought about it, the more i enjoyed the movie
    like i said, it took me a bit to figure out what type of movie i was watching

perfect example.....when Louis CK shows up in the movie, i am thinking that is just dumb casting
    but by his last 2 scenes i had figured out what type of movie this was and he made perfect sense and was perfect in that role!

for me, once again, Jennifer Lawrence was the best of a great cast......that character was fantastic and she was perfect doing it

I think the 5 main leads were all fantastic.....Bale + Adams kick it off with sizzle and maintain the film right throughout....Lawrence + Cooper blow in and blow it away with real shine and Renner also gives a great stylised contribution adding another dimension I never knew he was capable of.....

But I am so happy to say this for once when discussing a major Hollywood film (as it is a major beef of mine)....the real star of the film for me is the script itself...those characters, that character development, wonderful dialogue which runs you through every possible emotion and the beautifully crafted and timed twists and turns really show what a film is capable of when script writing is at its brilliant best

I think American Hustle will go down as an American Classic

Downloaded, will watch it later. Cheers for the reviews.