Thread: Rush

Rush

Really enjoyable.. I was just too young to be following F1 at this point, and while I can remember scarred Niki Lauder on TV and in a few moments I didnt have any idea of James Hunt or this 1976 season at all.. My earliest F1 memories were around the Ayrton Senna days.

Being a Ron Howard it was very focused around the personalities of it and maybe under played the race scenes for my taste, he made a great movie but he is no Frankenhiemer who for my money has made 2 of the Greatest motorsport / car scenes ever made.

This is one to get a high quality version and really crank the sound too.

I followed it up with Hunt vs Lauda F1's Greatest Racing Rivals docu.. Which was a great pairing and really showed how amazingly well they managed to get actors to look like the respective roles, right through the crews and supporting cast also. So many of the movies scenes are shown here real life in archival footage which made it feel that much more accurate and not dramatized. The docu showed a lot more common interest and camaraderie between the 2 than the film perhaps which played up the conflict / dislike between them. A pairing of them worked well.

I watched it few days ago. Forgot to download earlier. Enjoyed it. Was hoping for more racing scenes.

I did not know you could buy a seat in f#1 then until I watched the movie.

really enjoyed it as well....another one that really surprised me with edge of the seat action and suspense...superbly shot!

Honestly no idea who James Hunt was before this. Hats off to him and raise my glass to one of if not the best f#1 driver out there who "couldnt care".

Hunt reminds me of ice cold Kimi.

Hunt.Vs.Lauda.F1s.Greatest.Racing.Rivals.720p.HDTV .x264-FTP (download torrent) - TPB

Watch that and see how amazingly close they got the look of the supporting cast as well as the leads.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Was hoping for more racing scenes.
    Also the racing was sort of under covered by just doing lots of 'shaky' action shots and close ups..

Contrast that with Frankenhiemers Le Mans, or the BMW chase sequence in Ronin and you wish it just had a bit more of that touch as a race centric movie.

Enjoyable film tho.

I thought Rush had a great balance between "petrol", friendships and rivalry......it was a movie after all

The Senna doco is lead footed.....

Senna (2010) - IMDb

I didnt mean 'more' of the petrol / race / stuff... I just meant that it wasnt as well executed as other parts of the film.

Just went to quick cut scenes and 'shakycam' to make a sensation of speed.. I dont think Howard really nailed that aspect. The again holding up Frankenheimer as a comparison is setting a high water mark. I should look for HD BluRay version of Grand Prix as its been years and my DVD is in boxes somewhere.

Still very enjoyable and just nit picking really.. I havent seen Cpt Phillips yet but this might be my best of 2013 movie.

Didn't really have much expectations beforehand, but thought it was brilliantly executed on a character level. Especially the guy playing Lauda. And that's from a person who usually find car movies or chases extremely boring. Same for motor sports in general. But funny you mentioned Ronin as I quite enjoyed those scenes. As well as the more parody-like aspects of the likes of Blues Brothers.

For me though, the Wolf of Wallstreet stands out as the best of (Hollywood) 2013. Closely followed by Captain Phillips and American Hustle. Also enjoyed Saving Mr. Banks and Blue Jasmine. Still grappling where movies like The Act of Killing fits on any comparable list...

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I havent seen Cpt Phillips yet but this might be my best of 2013 movie.
    Lucky for me...I saw Rush in 2013 and CP in 2014....555

Both great folms....and well deserving of a trip to the cinema over just a download imo

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post

For me though, the Wolf of Wallstreet stands out as the best of (Hollywood) 2013. Closely followed by Captain Phillips and American Hustle. Also enjoyed Saving Mr. Banks and Blue Jasmine. Still grappling where movies like The Act of Killing fits on any comparable list...
    Its a shame that all of these great movies are made available at once for Academy Award Considerations...its famon all year and now the feast is here....

Looking for a download of Wolf.....but Hustle and Jasmine both wonderful films..enjoyed Banks as well...a nice little surprise

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    But funny you mentioned Ronin as I quite enjoyed those scenes.
    I would put that as the best car scene ever put on film...

Still not got to WoWS.. Read the book a while back, enjoyable but felt like there was a level of embellishment.. He was a sales guy after all.

PTG
    Decaprio does a great job in Wolf. His wife in the movie is quite nice on the eyes.