Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Kindle

Kindle

well, i actually have a Kobo, Canada's version

Ao bought it for me for my b-day and i had been thinking about it for a long time and i absolutely love it!
    i am a book purist so held off and then even said if i get one, i will still read books but god damn, i don't know if i can go back
    i actually forgot bag in Boston so my sister had to send it to so bought a book at the airport because my Kobo was in my bag and it was painful reading a physical book with the pages and curves!!

big help with the Kobo too, is books tend to be 7-10cad more expensive in Canada but with the Kobo it knocks off that premium, mostly

Yeah.. I also love e readers now.. I think the ipad does have a bit more eyestrain.. But the lack of contorting a book around more than makes up for it.. Plus you can have 10's of books ready and waiting.

One negative tho is I start books and skip to others much more on the ipad/kindle than I did with real books.

Yeah, I read everything on my Ipad now. I've been doing it for the nearly 3 years. I'm a voracious reader and I love it. I have over 200 on my ipad now.
    It is mind boggling to hear about a book, check it out, then buy it....all within a few minutes.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    It is mind boggling to hear about a book, check it out, then buy it....all within a few minutes.
    Yeah especially for us in places where the same process would have taken weeks at best before, with shipping and taxes and hassle.. I remember moving to Phuket and being forced to buy used books from the stalls with just dross pulp mainstream holiday books for sale..

Also the democratization of the publishing business is interesting.. ebook authors and self publishing things...

By far the best thing about the kindle vs Pad is that you charge it once and go on a trip for two weeks (with two long hauls) and you don't need to charge again.

Yes
    I also like e books now...rarely buy anything else..I like being able to have them instantly,I like I can have many without weight,reading without a good light source,
    being able to alter type size.

I also jump about more from book to book,something I never did with paper.

I read on I pad and note 3,I like note 3 because it is big enough to read comfortably for me, lighter to hold than I Pad and I always have it with me.

I don't like I don't know how to lend borrow or swap books.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio View Post
    By far the best thing about the kindle vs Pad is that you charge it once and go on a trip for two weeks (with two long hauls) and you don't need to charge again.
    fcuk me, i've had this for a month now and haven't charged it yet except when it is connected to my PC looking for more books

Quote Originally Posted by Yes View Post
    I also jump about more from book to book,something I never did with paper.

I read on I pad and note 3,I like note 3 because it is big enough to read comfortably for me, lighter to hold than I Pad and I always have it with me.

I don't like I don't know how to lend borrow or swap books.
    i've always read 2-3 books at a time, so it is normal for me

the guy who works for me has the same tastes in book so we just give each other our passwords and can get each other books from that

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Yeah especially for us in places where the same process would have taken weeks at best before, with shipping and taxes and hassle.. I remember moving to Phuket and being forced to buy used books from the stalls with just dross pulp mainstream holiday books for sale..
    one of my favorite things to do when i lived in Phuket was to drive to Phuket Town to that big used bookstore
    i miss going to the bookstore but they are fading fast
    the Chapters(biggest chain in Canada) in Vancouver has basically become a craft store on the 1st floor now

Have an iPad but I also bought a Kindle. For. Reading it is a lot better. You can read outsde (beach, garden), longer battery use, less tiring on the eyes.
    Also, reading on ipad/kindle makes you having to travel with less space and weight you have to reserve for books in your luggage.

I have a lot of ebooks and do enjoy the experience, but as I read outdoors a lot with a beer or wine in hand, I like the physical book as well, reflection and the risk of dropping the device is a big part of my reasoning+ young kids. 555

Yes
    Dropping a kindle is definitely an issue..my first kindle I opened a hotel safe and it slid out on to the floor..finished,cracked screen,and would not open.

Me too, mine is a Samsung Galaxy tablet with a kindle reading app. For me, the whole Kindle ethos is genius. Holiday reads are half the price that they used to be and there's no thoughts over what to do with the books when you've read them.

Also, as has been said, the democratisation of the publishing industry has allowed many people who would never have got there to be published. Some established authors are turning to e-publishing now as well, Jake Needham seems to be kindle only with his latest 'The King of Macau'.

Yes
    Just downloaded King of Macau...i didn't know it had been released.Thanks

@Mark thanks for the password tip I never thought of that

Just downloaded King of Macau...i didn't know it had been released.Thanks
    It's a decent read, I really like his stuff. He follows me on twitter... Seems like a very decent guy as it happens, very grounded.

Yes
    I like him too ...have read everything he has written..I also like novels set in Asia sometimes.

I also like he writes about a different side of Thailand.

Dropping a kindle is definitely an issue..my first kindle I opened a hotel safe and it slid out on to the floor..finished,cracked screen,and would not open.
    this Kobo i have seem pretty frigging durable
    it has sort of a rubber padded back and the screen seems more plastic than glass

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    It's a decent read, I really like his stuff. He follows me on twitter... Seems like a very decent guy as it happens, very grounded.
    Yeah I follow his FB stuff and letters from asia blogging.

Dean Barrett is funny sometimes too with his baby dom and other pics.

I bought a recent Dean Barrett book on kindle, Permanent Damage, and it was easily the worst I've read by any of the established authors; really crap. Left it unfinished.

Im on my third Kindle. Started with the 'paper white' and now with the Kindle HD. Goodbye book stores....
    I guess walking around for a few hours at a used book store with your neck at a 90 degree angle does have its charms. not.

One of my favorite perks of the Kindle is the option to read more than a little of any book without commitment. I VERY, VERY, rarely make a bad choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast