Thread: Al Jazeera documentaries

Al Jazeera documentaries

Two more AJ documentaries I recommend.

First one is very new and is a take on the Afghanistan conflict, worth a look. Second one is a history of the Arab/Israeli conflict and the birth of Israel. In 4 parts and well worth a look imo.

Afghanistan: The price of revenge - Special series - Al Jazeera English

Al-Nakba - Special series - Al Jazeera English

I will watch those, I'm particularly interested in the Palestinian conflict and where Israel came from. I'd like to go to Israel but not sure having the stamp in your passport is a great idea.

I've always taken the Israeli side, but I guess my understanding comes only from the later years of the 7 day war and all the stuff we see on the TV about their neighbours wanting to wipe the country off the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    I will watch those, I'm particularly interested in the Palestinian conflict and where Israel came from. I'd like to go to Israel but not sure having the stamp in your passport is a great idea.

I've always taken the Israeli side, but I guess my understanding comes only from the later years of the 7 day war and all the stuff we see on the TV about their neighbours wanting to wipe the country off the map.
    Same here I'd like to visit Israel someday too, especially Jerusalem.

As regards the history of the birth of Israel, I would have always been very interested in that from a historical point of view. I've read many books on the subject, including the likes of Avi Shlaim, War and Peace in the Middle East, Robert Fisk, The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East. Both very good reads imo, Avi Shlaim is a highly respected Israeli scholar and features in the Al-Nakba docu.

have watched the first 2 eps,some good insight from people on the ground in afganistan and the american reaction to the 9/11 outrage,there seems to be a conflict there on who was to blame in afganistan,if anyone though

its obvious the taliban were not involved,but we did not like their agenda ,there are also alot of questions posed why are US/brit and other nations still fighting a war there when in 2 years the hard ,professional,troops are all being pulled out without an end to to the conflict,and they seem to be dying for what?
    Last edited by steve w; 1st June 2013 at 06:47.