Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS

Thread: WOW.. An app to read ?!?!

WOW.. An app to read ?!?!

slimbag likes this.

This has been reviewed a few times already, BBC Click did a piece on it. The verdict, yes it does vastly increase your reading speed but overall it wasn't a pleasant experience as the writing no longer flowed as it does in reading the full line or paragraph. I tried it and could do 350+ words with fairly good recall but it is only something I would use to quickly get through some text rather than using it to enjoy a good book, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I would be fkin pissed off if it took 90 minutes to read a book............you want to savour it!!

^yes, exactly.....would be okay for schools books.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

speed reading by want of another name...I did a course in this as a young'un...comprehension not as great as reading at normal speed but great for getting the jist of long documents before coming back and taking them apart for digestion

as always..."the devil is in the detail"

Not sure how that will affect the pleasure of reading though.

One of my favourite authors is Michael Moorecock. Sometimes when I'm reading his novels, I deliberately slow down my reading pace to really soak in the beautiful literature and extend the pleasure of reading.
    Last edited by Bacon; 21st March 2014 at 18:57.
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Pretty cool stuff, I think. But yes, digesting a text properly is half the experience, so maybe the inherent eye motion “delay” is there for a reason... For our brains to keep up... Should work really well on a small mobile screen though.

By looking at the website, not sure exactly how the final app will look like. But should be some additional options, like pausing and easy navigation, viewing the adjoining text in paragraphs, showing graphics etc. More into audiobooks these days and like to listen, stop, maybe go back, and then jot down some key points or thoughts. So would like if an app provided easier ways to bookmark certain paragraphs, and link them up with my asinine thoughts. Speaking mostly about non-fiction literature here though. Never been in a hurry even once reading a fictional book.

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    I would be fkin pissed off if it took 90 minutes to read a book............you want to savour it!!
    Two words...

Technical manuals.

I'd be fecking glad if I could get a 700 page VMWare/Microsoft/RedHat course book done in 90 minute.

As for novels I enjoy, yeah I'll take my time with them.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.