Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Chromecast.. Anyone get one ??

Chromecast.. Anyone get one ??

One of my boxee boxes finally bit the dust, and I have decided to have a revamp of my home media net setup and how I move media through the house. Boxee boxes used to be great but theres much smarter / cleaner / ways I can go about it with xbmc now, been waiting for the perfect android boxes to come along but they all seemed to miss the mark.

I just ebayed a couple of Amazon fire TV's as they can be hacked to run XBMC pretty well.. They also have a plex app.. So that should cover my 'need' pretty well for home media, I am now cheapskate ebay sniping / bargain hunting a slingbox HD, those can be combined with XBMC to shift my TV signal around the house in HD also.. I am only going to grab one if I find it lowball costs tho, not much of a live TV watcher but I sort of want to work out the proof of concept for getting everything (downloads, liveTV, netflix, prime, etc) into a single xbmc frontend.

I got curious about the chromecast, and as I am consolidating my order with shipito to attempt to avoid the import, its only an extra 30 bucks or so to have one to tinker with.. I know plex and chromecast are working.. I read slingbox is 'in development'.. So theres potential to be interesting.. But its total lack of a remote and only the 'casting' abilities dont sell it too strong.

I am not really interesting in live streaming, no matter how fast my net seems to run I still hate buffering when watching anything, ruins it for me. My use patterns are downloaded content on the home net, and (learning to / trying to) streaming live TV around the house with the slingbox.

If anyones tested a chromecast whats your thoughts ?? Does it fit into that use pattern or is it simply the cheap end of the streaming options ??

Probably a bit too niche for here.. Need to get onto the media box forums but just drowning in info overload.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    One of my boxee boxes finally bit the dust, and I have decided to have a revamp of my home media net setup and how I move media through the house. Boxee boxes used to be great but theres much smarter / cleaner / ways I can go about it with xbmc now, been waiting for the perfect android boxes to come along but they all seemed to miss the mark.

I just ebayed a couple of Amazon fire TV's as they can be hacked to run XBMC pretty well.. They also have a plex app.. So that should cover my 'need' pretty well for home media, I am now cheapskate ebay sniping / bargain hunting a slingbox HD, those can be combined with XBMC to shift my TV signal around the house in HD also.. I am only going to grab one if I find it lowball costs tho, not much of a live TV watcher but I sort of want to work out the proof of concept for getting everything (downloads, liveTV, netflix, prime, etc) into a single xbmc frontend.

I got curious about the chromecast, and as I am consolidating my order with shipito to attempt to avoid the import, its only an extra 30 bucks or so to have one to tinker with.. I know plex and chromecast are working.. I read slingbox is 'in development'.. So theres potential to be interesting.. But its total lack of a remote and only the 'casting' abilities dont sell it too strong.

I am not really interesting in live streaming, no matter how fast my net seems to run I still hate buffering when watching anything, ruins it for me. My use patterns are downloaded content on the home net, and (learning to / trying to) streaming live TV around the house with the slingbox.

If anyones tested a chromecast whats your thoughts ?? Does it fit into that use pattern or is it simply the cheap end of the streaming options ??

Probably a bit too niche for here.. Need to get onto the media box forums but just drowning in info overload.
    I love the Chromecast, I have a Synology server with a Plex server, I use my tablet to cast to my tv.

So you browse plex on the tablet.. then cast to the chromecast.. all works pretty smooth and seamless ?? Remote for stuff like volume on the tablet ?? Pet peeve is having to drop one remote to find the other for volume on the TV..

I get the idea chromecast works best when you have a good android tablet to use for the remote.. The whole ecosystem integration.

Bought one for my brother last Xmas. He swears it's the greatest thing since vageen...

So you browse plex on the tablet.. then cast to the chromecast.. all works pretty smooth and seamless ?? Remote for stuff like volume on the tablet ?? Pet peeve is having to drop one remote to find the other for volume on the TV..

I get the idea chromecast works best when you have a good android tablet to use for the remote.. The whole ecosystem integration.
    Yes I browse Plex on the tablet or my phone and cast from one of them.
    I have a shitty tablet Samsung Tab2, and a even more shitty phone Samsung Note 1, but Plex it is working good on both
    I also have a old tv so I have to use a different remote for the volume.

My only problem with this setup is that my tablet can't play avi files so it is not possible to cast these files, the Plex server can transform files not supported by the tablet but my Synology server does not have support this

Good video about Plex and Chromecast.

I dont like that the tablet needs to do the playback for the casting.. I think thats how its working right (your not playing AVIs).. Would be better if the instruction to play is sent and the thumb stick did the playback from the NAS..

Still given its relative cost I think I will grab one for tinkering with..

I dont like that the tablet needs to do the playback for the casting.. I think thats how its working right (your not playing AVIs).. Would be better if the instruction to play is sent and the thumb stick did the playback from the NAS..

Still given its relative cost I think I will grab one for tinkering with..
    The problem is that the cpu in the Chromecast is not powerful enough to decode and play movies.

If I set up the Plex server on my main computer I can play avi files on my tablet since that computer has enough power to transform videos for my tablet.

Stick to apple tv simple and easy
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    Stick to apple tv simple and easy
    Too many built in limitations..

Really XBMC on the fire TV is where I know it will end up.. Just so much it can do, just a hassle to get the setup the way that works perfectly for you.

I bought an Apple TV recently to stream my horse racing coverage on the TV. Not an Apple man but I'm quite happy with it.

A chap at work recently got the Roku which is a bit more involved setting up from Aus.

Quote Originally Posted by quiksilva View Post
    I bought an Apple TV recently to stream my horse racing coverage on the TV. Not an Apple man but I'm quite happy with it.

A chap at work recently got the Roku which is a bit more involved setting up from Aus.
    I bought an Apple TV but I gave it away to a friend after half a day, it was not possible to set it up to stream my own files without giving my credit card information to Apple....

My boys have chrome cast running through their gaming system in the game room, I don't venture in there much but looks cool.

Hope that helps.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Found out last night that it is possible to adjust the volume from my tablet

I bought a WDTV and sold it within 2 weeks as there is no volume control on the remote and the Android app that would do this had a mind of it's own and decided when IT wanted to connect to the box, damned annoying.

Mine works extremely well with netflix, however laggish when streaming through the wifi, use vidcast now though and that works very well when it can grab the stream.

K2
    How are you getting on with it Sef?
    Its My Life .....!

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    How are you getting on with it Sef?
    Erm.. Its still in the box on my kitchen counter !!!

I have barely been home in 2 weeks.. Scared to check my bank statements

Erm.. Its still in the box on my kitchen counter !!!

I have barely been home in 2 weeks.. Scared to check my bank statements
    lucky they only take cash on the 6......555
    WarProfiteer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    lucky they only take cash on the 6......555
    Oh no those days are over believe me.............movies and seafood dinners these days 55555555555555

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast