Thread: A camera ?? In a mobile phone ?? Never gonna catch on..

A camera ?? In a mobile phone ?? Never gonna catch on..

Scary how quickly life changes... that was ten years ago... go back 20 years ago and talk to people about streaming video when calling your folks overseas... or even access to unlimited amounts of information via your computer. Where will we be 20 years from now? Can't be long before everything we need is embedded inside us... and a flick of our eyelids takes a photo and two flicks a video...

^ Cronenberg's Videodrome....its 30+ years old already

Videodrome Trailer - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    ^ Cronenberg's Videodrome....its 30+ years old already

Videodrome Trailer - YouTube
    Been decades since I saw that.. But remember it being a sort of play on 80s fear of video nasties and the like instead of tech ??

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Scary how quickly life changes... that was ten years ago... go back 20 years ago and talk to people about streaming video when calling your folks overseas... or even access to unlimited amounts of information via your computer. Where will we be 20 years from now? Can't be long before everything we need is embedded inside us... and a flick of our eyelids takes a photo and two flicks a video...

I think its very obvious that in the next 5 years wearable tech is going to become an ecosystem.. Google glass being the most obvious extension of that currently.

Glass has loads of implications in a society for ensuring accountability.. Every cop asking for a bribe, every public servant who breaks their own rules.. No longer will it be a case of only celebrities and those in the public eye have to watch every word they say, everyone will be on record all the time, every action recorded to be held against you in selected highlight reels of misbehavior.. If you think online outrage and online bullying is bad now, every childhood mistake is going to be saved forever in the cloud for the rest of your life.

^^ that's fucking frightening.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I think its very obvious that in the next 5 years wearable tech is going to become an ecosystem.. Google glass being the most obvious extension of that currently.

Glass has loads of implications in a society for ensuring accountability.. Every cop asking for a bribe, every public servant who breaks their own rules.. No longer will it be a case of only celebrities and those in the public eye have to watch every word they say, everyone will be on record all the time, every action recorded to be held against you in selected highlight reels of misbehavior.. If you think online outrage and online bullying is bad now, every childhood mistake is going to be saved forever in the cloud for the rest of your life.
    Spooky really. No private life whatsoever... every action and act you do recorded forever... big brother is watching you through your own eyes... what next? Able to access your thoughts too?

The implications are huge.. And I dont think very appealing, yet dont think theres going to be any way to stop or control it. Its simply part of whats going to happen.

Hmmmm do you mean I cant lie to the Mrs and Thai's cant lie to me 55555555555555

What makes it even more frightening is the knowledge we here in Victoria, Aus are already living in a frigging nanny state

I can only begin to imagine the future implications of more scrutiny by our hungry governments and what it will mean to us all!

Considering the web is full of blurry, badly lit, unrecognizable images taken by portable tech, should we be that worried ?

I just want to point out, as a Jon Stewart fanboy, that nowhere in the clip did they actually say the camera phone was useless.

That said, the rapid evolution of all techonologies in just my lifetime is already staggering. I was thinking about it the other day when one of my Filipinos asked if I could find a way to get Street Fighter II on my PS3, so we could have tournament nights. Seemed a worthy distraction, but then I realized that game is damn near 25 years old. Wow.

Feels like not that long ago having a "cordless" phone in your home was this cool new thing.

I remember getting my first cell phone... like most things, I waited a while. I wasnt an early adopter of the tech. But eventually I got it and I remember liking it at first... then disliking it as I would get calls when driving or grocery shopping or eating in restaurants. I never even thought of having a camera in there, or internet or streaming video on my phone.

The rate of change in just the last 25 years has indeed been amazing...