Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a new device

I need a new device

Hi.
    I need a new device to play music from mp3 files in my bar. Something with a small screen where I can see all my music and can be used like a computer.........I normally use a laptop, but it take up to much space and customers tend to play with it all the time.......
    As you see on the question I/m pretty much green on this..................Interested in usable items and prices

Will you need to access the files off a storage device or store on the device ??

Whats your plan to store the MP3s or access from online ??

Theres literally 1000's of music players from simple / big screen ones to complex to ones that auto sort to genres etc..

I have said before.. I am hooked on spotify on the iPad, I think its a revelation, but its a subscription service and I keep no data files with me (tho I understand you can set them for offline listening).. Stream everything. Also its nasty on a desktop, great on the iPad.

I can store it on a thumbstick but need a small screen to see what I'm playing and make playlists.......don't need online acces
    Still prefer to store it on the device tho...

13589.1.0.jpg

1)a logitech squeezebox ,out of production but still the best out there,a big comunity taken care of the bugs and upgrades,ca 15 x 12 cm

can see if i can get u one used if u want ?

2) next one thats comming big is the sonos systems,but then u need a i pad or something as a screen

both low cost ,ca 1500 nok both support all digital codexes like mp3,lossless,flac,apple etc etc
    Last edited by Petter; 25th June 2013 at 23:44.
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

Just bought a Sonos last week , loving it , control it from your phone if you want to , got a free trail with Napster , but will probably get a Spotify subscription, although the Internet radio stations are brilliant as well
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

I have always been a big fan of Creative products. I had a 64GB model years ago and when I upgraded to a newer model I lent to a bar owner, he said it was the best thing he had seen for bar music. It comes with great software similar to itunes (except you have control to do what you want not what the software decides you can do) so you can make playlists at home on you computer and just take the small device to the bar.

MP3 Players - Creative Technology (Asia)

So many ways to do this that user preference is a huge part...

It could be as simple as an Ipod (or other MP3) in a dock.. Or even better to manage an iPad.. I see bar systems running on an Ipad in a dock that appear simple.. That then also gives access to stuff stored on a PC out of sight, I tend to like this 2 screen approach as it has simple on one had, yet easy to manage the library with the laptop should you wish to. I find most of the small screen 'devices' a bit limited in the playlist making, or control aspects. They work but are fiddly and just less powerful than something like media monkey.

I dont have an android tablet only phone.. But a dig around on google play should bring up some good playback software and theres android tablets dirt cheap now if you want it for one single use rather than general purpose and powerful. I am sure others can suggest some decent simple appearing apps.

If it was me, I would do it like that.. a 2 device pairing, with a laptop as my storage and management device, to create playlists, manage my library, handle the grunt work.. And a smaller 2nd screen (anything from an old android phone, to an iPhone or late gen iPod, to a full iPad or tablet) as the 'remote control' and media browser. When your alone or need to do management its the laptop.. When the bar has people in, or for simple day to day "play playlist xyz" you just grab the smaller second screen and tell it to, and the laptop stays out of sight under the counter.

Do you still have to use itunes to upload music to an ipod or ipad ?

Didn't you once describe itunes as a virus (something I agreed with) ? 5555

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    Do you still have to use itunes to upload music to an ipod or ipad ?

Didn't you once describe itunes as a virus (something I agreed with) ? 5555
    I mean keeping the music on the laptop or a drive on the laptop (even better a NAS, then the laptop can be removed totally from the bar if not wanted or being actively used for the music cataloge or playlist making) using the device as a controller not the storage.. Lots of other options than iTunes for that task.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I mean keeping the music on the laptop or a drive on the laptop (even better a NAS, then the laptop can be removed totally from the bar if not wanted or being actively used for the music cataloge or playlist making) using the device as a controller not the storage.. Lots of other options than iTunes for that task.
    Understood, what I was asking is do you still have to use itunes to manage music files on an ipod or ipad. The main reason I wouldn't buy an ipod was you had to use itunes to manage the device and then you are sucked into Appleworld.

Understood, what I was asking is do you still have to use itunes to manage music files on an ipod or ipad. The main reason I wouldn't buy an ipod was you had to use itunes to manage the device and then you are sucked into Appleworld.
    I think probably with just an early ipod in a dock yes.. But with any of the later iPod / iPhone / iPads that can run apps, then no.. Theres plenty of standalone apps that do network play, and plug ins for remote control of winamp, media center, xbmc, etc etc etc..

Its not something I have tried to do but I am fairly sure its not too hard a task.

iAmpRemote v1.4 - Winamp

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wmot...377215263?mt=8

But this comes down to how he wants to set up.. Where does the audio connect ?? the laptop ?? Or the Ipad iPod etc..

In fact.. Its not something I have used again (and it would mean going all apple virus) but isnt this exactly what the airplay airport system is for ?? Using either the little cheap plug jobber or a appleTv audio out hooked to the stereo amp ??

How to build your own AirPlay audio system | Macworld

This may be over complicating it.. But an apple TV gen2.. Plugged to the stereo, with a hard drive connected (or on a network with a NAS which I far prefer) combines with any old iPad type device would do all this quite neatly.. Remote, playback device and storage..

Unsure if airplay is foolproof reliable and robust tho.. I was using it on a boxee box but the implementation they had was a bit buggy.. Thats a lot of the half added boxee features tho.

My experience with in bar audio is simple is best.

I set up the music for Larry in Ting Tongs with one of these. Load it up, plug and play.
    Attached Images Attached Images

But then someone comes in and he wants acdc.. You need to have a playlist, you cant edit it, queue up next track while one track is playing, adjust to the customer base etc.. While it maybe ok if your a single style music or customer kind of place, but if you have a diverse set of tastes coming through the door you need to cater to, thats a lot less flexible.

In the bar in cambo I try to get them to use media monkey, its just so well set up for adding to a queue.. and theres already a whole bunch of playlist made for simple on click 'mood'.. But they keep going back to youtube of truly awful crap, and sitting watching the videos.. then wonder why 50 plus year old guys leave cos 'the music sucks'..

But then someone comes in and he wants acdc.. You need to have a playlist, you cant edit it, queue up next track while one track is playing, adjust to the customer base etc.. While it maybe ok if your a single style music or customer kind of place, but if you have a diverse set of tastes coming through the door you need to cater to, thats a lot less flexible.
    I would guess a bar owner would know his customer base and can create playlists to suit. Even if you get invaded by a different group who you want to cater for, as long as you have the files on the device it takes a minute to create a playlist. The lists would evolve over time reducing the workload on the bar owner who could spend time with their customers rather than being a DJ. I would guess that is what Geir wants.

In the bar in cambo I try to get them to use media monkey, its just so well set up for adding to a queue.. and theres already a whole bunch of playlist made for simple on click 'mood'.. But they keep going back to youtube of truly awful crap, and sitting watching the videos.. then wonder why 50 plus year old guys leave cos 'the music sucks'..
    There is a bar in Bangtao that relies solely on You Tube for it's music. A bluetooth keyboard gets passed around the bar so anyone can play their song. It's usually full of seriously pissed expats so it can be hit and miss what you get.

I would guess a bar owner would know his customer base and can create playlists to suit. Even if you get invaded by a different group who you want to cater for, as long as you have the files on the device it takes a minute to create a playlist. The lists would evolve over time reducing the workload on the bar owner who could spend time with their customers rather than being a DJ. I would guess that is what Geir wants.
    I have never found small devices, no keyboard, small screens etc easy for playlist making.. But maybe not used the right one yet.

There is a bar in Bangtao that relies solely on You Tube for it's music. A bluetooth keyboard gets passed around the bar so anyone can play their song. It's usually full of seriously pissed expats so it can be hit and miss what you get.
    It drives me batshit.. Because 1) they listen to absolute crap, totally not suited to the customers age choice, 2) they stare at the screen / video instead of interact with customers and 3) as they dont have the sense to use multi tabs and queue up the next song or use the youtube playlist feature.. They play one song, it ends, then they start to think about what track next.. So silence for 20 seconds while they browse and it spools up at best longer if the person doing the task has decided to go to the toilet, walk outside, look at her messages, etc.. Its an awful way to do it but its visual, the lack of english reading ability means they go back to the few they know then browse by pictures.. All they need to do is open media monkey, and click any one of the 10 or so playlists rock, metal, soul, etc thats pre made..

I have decided to remain firmly one side of the bar and leave them to miss manage it as they like.. But I reserve the right to gnash my teeth and sigh a lot as they fuck it up or customers clearly hate the selections.

Before I was playing from one of my computers in the "internet cafe part of the bar", But people were messing it up all the time.
    Now we are not doing the internet cafe thing anymore ad because of lack of space behind the bar (where I am) I need something smallish and easy. But I need to see my playlists and be able to pick songs on request. If not I can just use thumbstics on my CD player.
    otherwise as Sef said I can download new music or make new playlists when I have spare time on my computer.
    Looking into Petters device at the moment....
    Thanks for your input and feel free to come up with more as I'm not sure how to do it yet.

I have never found small devices, no keyboard, small screens etc easy for playlist making.. But maybe not used the right one yet.

It drives me batshit.. Because 1) they listen to absolute crap, totally not suited to the customers age choice, 2) they stare at the screen / video instead of interact with customers and 3) as they dont have the sense to use multi tabs and queue up the next song or use the youtube playlist feature.. They play one song, it ends, then they start to think about what track next.. So silence for 20 seconds while they browse and it spools up at best longer if the person doing the task has decided to go to the toilet, walk outside, look at her messages, etc.. Its an awful way to do it but its visual, the lack of english reading ability means they go back to the few they know then browse by pictures.. All they need to do is open media monkey, and click any one of the 10 or so playlists rock, metal, soul, etc thats pre made..

I have decided to remain firmly one side of the bar and leave them to miss manage it as they like.. But I reserve the right to gnash my teeth and sigh a lot as they fuck it up or customers clearly hate the selections.
    Exactly my problem too, when used youtube in the bar

Without wanting to oversimplify..

Cant you just hide the laptop behind the bar ?? Playlist when you need.. Customer request when needed.. But away from customer fingers and view ??

Without wanting to oversimplify..

Cant you just hide the laptop behind the bar ?? Playlist when you need.. Customer request when needed.. But away from customer fingers and view ??
    In worst case I could, but I have very limited space.......maybe buy one of the small notebooks or a tablets. But the small portable MP3 players is more tempting if I actually can see my playlists (not only the number and the name of the song playing)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast