Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS

Thread: TV not being on TV..

TV not being on TV..

Anyone else noticed this transition in the last year or two ??

Some of the best TV I watch, doesnt get shown on any TV station... Of course the VICE channels, but also stuff like Chris Harris on cars, DRiVE, etc etc.. I think hes probably the best car reviewer out there right now, and he works 100% on youtube and Vimeo..

Matt Farra and The Smoking Tire channel.. Makes great shows.. Roadkill etc etc etc..

I am suffering a hangover so just monged out to this.. Its on TPB..

So good.. Actually cried with laughter a few times.. Makes you just want to trash beater cars !!

Anyone else have favorite youtube 'shows' with more professional / semi pro content ??

Thanks for that. I never even knew that level of non FTA or cable quality shows were out there.

Top Gear was a ground breaking show IMO because they broke the mold on political correctness BS. From that trailer it looks like a trend that has taken off for the better. Subscribed.

Chris harris on cars and the drive channel are just superb..

Drive has just moved to a pay / subscription model but good value for the content.

FieldsportsFieldsports Channel - YouTube

Sports Afield

Sports Afield - YouTube

Triple Mag, a family of hunters.

Triple MAG - YouTube

Kristoffer Clausen, this guy also makes dvd's and is probably the best in his field.

Kristoffer Clausen - YouTube

The infamous FPSRussia

FPSRussia - YouTube

Ahh yes FPS Russia... I have that one..

I'm sure you've seen this ?

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheFineBros

Yeah Jays Garage is great.. But kinda just makes me jealous !!
    junkhouse likes this.

The biggest move away from cable is going to be HBO Go being available next year away from cable packages and as a stand alone.

But the one thing keeping people on a cable package is sports and they get paid so much money from their TV contracts that will never change, at least for a long time

Living and working the way I do (not in the west), I also transitioned from getting my entertainment from Tv to going online more and more over the last 7 years. I also am a big watcher of The Smoking Tire and Chris Harris on Cars, but also like the more discussion based pieces that Drive puts out. Also done plenty of Roadkill and even some of the auto renovation shows.

Sadly, TheFineBros are my chocolate. When I need a quick distraction at work, I'll flip over to them and for 10 minutes or less be totally immersed in something as silly as this...

But yeah, these days for me the online content on YT & Vimeo trumps anything traditional Tv might be showing. Very much so.

Kinda poker players only, everyone else would probably be somewhat lost but to me it's hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfy...Qoy16x_FovA8ag

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    But the one thing keeping people on a cable package is sports and they get paid so much money from their TV contracts that will never change, at least for a long time
    Ace Stream

I renewed my TV pack for just UFC and MotoGP as I wanted it live and not waiting for the torrents a few hours later.. Then when I went to turn it on a few weeks ago, realized not only had I forgot to pay and was cut off the platinum package, but it had been months and I hadnt noticed..

Installed the above and had perfectly smooth (low level) HD streaming of the fights live.. My first experience with it but feel it could be a huge game changer for 'live' TV needs.. Its still slightly geeky in needing to find a good HD feed but if this gains traction the aggregators will become easier to use.

So maybe it wont be 'years' for that to change.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Ace Stream

I renewed my TV pack for just UFC and MotoGP as I wanted it live and not waiting for the torrents a few hours later.. Then when I went to turn it on a few weeks ago, realized not only had I forgot to pay and was cut off the platinum package, but it had been months and I hadnt noticed..

Installed the above and had perfectly smooth (low level) HD streaming of the fights live.. My first experience with it but feel it could be a huge game changer for 'live' TV needs.. Its still slightly geeky in needing to find a good HD feed but if this gains traction the aggregators will become easier to use.

So maybe it wont be 'years' for that to change.
    I've never found a 100% dependable stream for US sports and I watch sports every single night, not just events so I can't really depend on streaming

OK that use profile is probably still harder to achieve.. but I dont know for how long..

This system is a P2P so its not like needing a stream thats fast.. But for sure it will be the most popular stuff which works the best.

Sky paid EPL nearly 2 billion quid for EPL rights. They will spend millions & millions protecting that right. So I still think going to be years for that to change.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    Sky paid EPL nearly 2 billion quid for EPL rights. They will spend millions & millions protecting that right. So I still think going to be years for that to change.
    But with these P2P systems it takes only one feed uploaded to share that paid right to millions..

Its not about legal rights, more about systems they will not be able to block or control.

K2
    Given up on broadcast TV completely ... Bloomberg streams nicely enough, and everything else I'm interested in can watch when as and when I want ... can't be assed with bread and circuses (sport and talent shows) and have always hated serials ... so even with crappy basic internet .... I'm content enough.
    Its My Life .....!

You get these uploads from places like Pirate Bay, right? Which are blocked by most ISPs, in the UK at least. Otherwise chase around the internet to find other sites before they are taken down or they change domain. Or access via proxy services etc. I can see why in LOS it might make sense, but its only like 40 a month for HD, perfect, instant footie games, which never feck up or lose signal mid game. All such a ball ache for the sake of a few pints or a LT

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    You get these uploads from places like Pirate Bay, right?
    No.. Did you look at the link I put in ?? Its a kind of P2P distribution system for video.. Think of it like skype video but for 'TV' / sports streams..

Is it ready for prime time ?? No.. But this kind of disruptive tech has already changed phone calling (how many phone calls do you still make v video chats ??) and as sports and live TV is the last edge of the TV system which needs solving, this or another similar platform, could be the way that gets done.

With a well configured xbmc media center, set up with sickbeard or one of its replacements (TVTumbler, couch potato, NZBDrone, etc). You dont even need to look for shows, they just get automatically downloaded in the background and appear in your library.. All without user interaction.. TV shows are arguably easier to access and integrate via these methods than any of the legal netflix type systems.

I dont watch a lot of TV, so dont put so much effort into configuring my XBMC network with a live TV bias.. But the modules like PseudoTV and one I just became aware of called FTV.. These bring you 100s, even 1000s of channels, with EPG guides and PVR etc, all into one interface..

Anyway accessing traditional media via non traditional ways wasnt really my intention with this thread..

Its the way that 'broadcast quality' TV shows are now using youtube and vimeo to distribute and allowing niche programming to not need a network anymore.