Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: The clock that changes our understanding of time.

The clock that changes our understanding of time.

Now this is a topic that fascinates me... and where I think mankind's next big breakthrough will come. Time...

I was waiting for it to start talking about that despite it being supremely accurate... it is only accurate with regards to its immediate environment...

Right now, on the top of Mount Everest, time is passing just a little bit faster than it is in Death Valley. That's because speed at which time passes depends on the strength of gravity. Einstein himself discovered this dependence as part of his theory of relativity, and it is a very real effect.

The relative nature of time isn't just something seen in the extreme. If you take a clock off the floor, and hang it on the wall, Ye says, "the time will speed up by about one part in 10.

That is a sliver of a second. But this isn't some effect of gravity on the clock's machinery. Time itself is flowing more quickly on the wall than on the floor. These differences didn't really matter until now. But this new clock is so sensitive, little changes in height throw it way off. Lift it just a couple of centimetres, Ye says, "and you will start to see that difference."

This new clock can sense the pace of time speeding up as it moves inch by inch away from the earth's core.

Yes
    +1 for fascination
    I like the whole notion of time,subjective experience of speeding up and slowing down.

The idea time is a man made construct.

the whole area of science fiction ,time travel,immortality,

That the human mind is in time,that the no- mind is out of time.

that we are only able to see time as a linear process of past,present and future.

That all 3 could exist simultaneously in eternity...very hard to grasp as a possibility.
    I like scientists exploring things like this,moving away from the subjective experience oft time.

My experience is when the mind stops time stops.
    Waharoa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yes View Post
    +1 for fascination
    I like the whole notion of time,subjective experience of speeding up and slowing down.

The idea time is a man made construct.

the whole area of science fiction ,time travel,immortality,

That the human mind is in time,that the no- mind is out of time.

that we are only able to see time as a linear process of past,present and future.

That all 3 could exist simultaneously in eternity...very hard to grasp as a possibility.
    I like scientists exploring things like this,moving away from the subjective experience oft time.

My experience is when the mind stops time stops.
    It's the space/time illusion which I think screws with your head too... and energy. If there is no energy, there is no time. Time needs energy to be able to exist... at least in our mind. Time is just a measure of change... and we know how subjective that is... relatively...

Indeed. Screws with your brain when you even begin to nip at the edges of it... Think our minds are wired to instinctively reject anything perceived as “relative”. Kind of like jamming a finger down your throat.

Brian Cox had an interesting documentary about time, but doesn’t seem to be on youtube ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    Indeed. Screws with your brain when you even begin to nip at the edges of it... Think our minds are wired to instinctively reject anything perceived as “relative”. Kind of like jamming a finger down your throat.

Brian Cox had an interesting documentary about time, but doesn’t seem to be on youtube ATM.
    Gravity is the other thing that screws with our head... time and gravity... part of the same thing?

Yes
    When you sees in the model the planet bending space...its what the SPACE is made of that i find interesting,

all that emptiness that is strong enough dense enough to hold every thing together,that gravity can bend it ..yet looks like nothing to the eye.

Gravity...

I went to a pizza joint on phuket that must be 1000 miles under sea level....wait for it...
    tnlawyer and LivinLOS like this.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Yes View Post
    When you sees in the model the planet bending space...its what the SPACE is made of that i find interesting,

all that emptiness that is strong enough dense enough to hold every thing together,that gravity can bend it ..yet looks like nothing to the eye.
    That’s kind of what fascinates me as well. That is, how radically different our world is when explained in a science book from what we perceive it empirically with our naked eye. So, the earth is whirling about the sun at 1,000 miles per hour. And our solar system is whirling about our galaxy at magnitudes faster speeds. Then there’s the Great Attractor, then the great Cosmic Background Explorer… On those scales we're simply losing our “frame of reference”. Time always has to be measured against something else in order to make sense.

Like, take the first primitive forefather of our eye. Those organisms floating about in the primordial oceans were at first only able to distinguish between light and dark. Through random mutations, mind. Nature’s version of “my bad”. But, as it turned out, being able to detect light even on a simplistic binary level, gave them a distinct advantage over their peers in that they were better at discovering nutrients. In other words, better suited for survival. Then came shapes, colors etc. over millions of years.

Kind of brings be back to an early experiment I tried in my early teens. How do you quantify eternity? At that time I was still torn between my grandmother’s religious beliefs and my secular mom. If I had the choice, would I even want to live forever? So the thought experiment was to put a piece of paper into my typewriter (yes, we were analog back when). Then start typing the number 100. Barely covering an inch on a piece of paper, yet still more than a human lifetime. Then keep on typing… The age of the entire universe would still fit on the first line without even the return of the carriage. But keep on typing… Glue another paper on to it and continue until the paper flies out of the window. Down the street. A block. Another country, another continent. To the moon. Then imagine that impossibly large piece of glued papers with 0s on it encircling the earth, then the solar system, the galaxy… Still, you’re not even touching eternity within nanosecond accuracy.
    Waharoa and Yes like this.

Hey Superheroes.....why is it that time supposedly speeds up as one gets older?

Is it possible that some perceive time differently than others?

Like me for example who feels 20 physically but much older mentally?

Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    Like me for example who feels 20 physically but much older mentally?
    Depends on how old you actually are then... Like if you are 15 with the body of a 20 year-old and the mind of 60 year-old you should be concerned. On the other hand, if you are 40 with the physique of a 20 year-old, but mentally “much” (80?) older I’d be equally concerned. Again, it depends on the “frame of reference”. It’s all relative.

Can’t recall exactly who framed it, but this equation was put forth as to the perfect age difference between a man and a woman. Take your age, divide by 2 and add 7. So if you are 40 then 27 would be the best fit. Urban myth for sure, but not without merit I think. Even when applied to the physical / mental ratio. At least within that range… Personally, I’d like to be younger mentally though.

When I'm on the treadmill......which I am quite a lot these days.......time just seems so slow.

Can't work it out

Is that on a mental threadmill? If so try to elevate it a few inches in order to escape the gravitational pull

Okey dokey SDK will try to reach your elevated status

Come on, just harmless bantering, right? It's late and I had a long week. And incidentally I've consumed too much of a certain Mont Clair from Breede River Valley Afrique du Sud. So it's your fault really...
    slampay likes this.

.why is it that time supposedly speeds up as one gets older?
    Has this nothing to do with as we age... each day forward is a smaller and smaller percentage of our life so far? ie.... a year to a one year old... is a lifetime... but to an 80 year old, one year is only 1/80th of their past life... so years start to feel shorter...
    LivinLOS likes this.

Tom right?

Enjoy your posts bro

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    How do you quantify eternity?
    +1

Simple....
    Waharoa likes this.

I make a distinction between Eternity and Time Everlasting. Eternity is unbound, with random access to all points of Time Everlasting.

"Eternity isn't some later time. Eternity isn't a long time. Eternity has nothing to do with time. Eternity is that dimension of here and now which thinking and time cuts out. This is it. And if you don't get it here, you won't get it anywhere. And the experience of eternity right here and now is the function of life."
    - Joseph Campbell
    Yes likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast