• 1 Post By marc26
  • 1 Post By sundancekid
  • 1 Post By kris-one
  • 1 Post By cashpoint
  • 1 Post By kris-one
  • 1 Post By cashpoint

Thread: Podcasts

Podcasts

Anyone listen to any good ones? I love the weekly Frank Skinner one on Absolute Radio and Guardian Football Weekly with James Richardson, the bloke who used to front football Italia on channel 4 back in the day. I pretty much would listen to anything though.. Sometimes a nice change to just listening to tunes next to the pool.

I've listened to the Hamish and Andy Podcast for years, two Aussie fellas who do the drive time show I think, they used to be funnier (the show was longer) but still worth a listen (but not the most recent couple, try from a week or more ago, looks like they're now doing something where you need to have been listening to it a while to 'get')

Danny Baker used to be a good one, even listening back to old ones.
    Last edited by stupscott; 16th November 2014 at 19:55.

None that would interest you.....just a comment on them

I listen to podcasts when I am doing cardio at the gym......I find listening to the conversation makes the time fly by
    Robaht likes this.

Interested in films? I find Mark Kermode's film reviews quite good. He seems to have similar tastes to me.. 55

BBC - Podcasts and Downloads - Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's Film Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Interested in films? I find Mark Kermode's film reviews quite good. He seems to have similar tastes to me.. 55

BBC - Podcasts and Downloads - Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's Film Reviews
    Haven't tried that one before, but enjoyed the Benedict Cumberbatch ep at least. Used to be very into movies a few years ago, but that interest has kind of waned as of late. Same with a lot of other stuff come to think of it… There’s just so much to choose from, and managing time becomes more and more important.

I’ve also become less and less interested in US politics, but always tune in to Slate's weekly Political Gabfest. A favourite of Stephen Colbert, and really the most interesting in-depth analyses as far as I can tell. On stitcher, you also have Stuff you should know which does a huge range of topics, and kind of enjoy the format. Then there’s TWIT which does a good job following tech, especially the main Sunday show. And finally, foodwishes with Chef John is superb for the daily cravings…

Don’t really have time for much more...

Other than that, I’m mostly turning to full documentaries on YouTube these days. Not exactly podcasts, but still believe feeding your mind with these history / science docus is important to keep the mind fresh. So usually try to watch an hour or so a day covering new topics.
    Last edited by sundancekid; 18th November 2014 at 22:34.
    kris-one likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    None that would interest you.....just a comment on them

I listen to podcasts when I am doing cardio at the gym......I find listening to the conversation makes the time fly by
    Do you actually follow what's going on or just use it as a back ground noise? I used to run listening to an audio book but more often than not would get home and realise I hadn't been listening at all.
    Robaht likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    Anyone listen to any good ones? I love the weekly Frank Skinner one on Absolute Radio and Guardian Football Weekly with James Richardson, the bloke who used to front football Italia on channel 4 back in the day. I pretty much would listen to anything though.. Sometimes a nice change to just listening to tunes next to the pool.
    Thanks for the Guardian Football Weekly tip, I love listening to it and the guys are funny, a bit like a breakfast show in a way (and especially with West Ham being on form they tend to talk about them in glowing terms - excellent!! - but let's see how long they can hold on!)

Do you actually follow what's going on or just use it as a back ground noise? I used to run listening to an audio book but more often than not would get home and realise I hadn't been listening at all.

I generally remember what happened, but yes, some phase out moments and have to skip back to re-listen.

One thing with Serial podcast is I need to be doing something to listen to it
    Running in the gym or a long walk with the dog

If I am just listening to it and not doing anything my mind wanders too much

That brought back memories. I remember the episode when Gazza put a rubbish bin over his head and chased James round his flat pretending to be an alien (or something!). It was nuts!
    kris-one likes this.

Football Italia - quintessentially 1990s

You remember the theme tune? Always used to think finished with Goallllllllll Lazio (apparently actually goal Golaccio!). Used to shout it when someone scored a wordly at school.

Waharoa likes this.

^Did that show start because Gazza moved to Italy... or is that just my imagination and the show existed before his move?

I think the show started after Gazza moved to Italy - and it was football on Sunday with a roundup show on Saturday that seemed to feature a lot of Gazza!
    Waharoa likes this.

Serial series 2 ep 1 is out now. Similar premise to first but investigating former POW and deserter Sgt Bowe Bergdahl

Quote Originally Posted by stupscott View Post
    I've listened to the Hamish and Andy Podcast for years, two Aussie fellas who do the drive time show I think, they used to be funnier (the show was longer) but still worth a listen (but not the most recent couple, try from a week or more ago, looks like they're now doing something where you need to have been listening to it a while to 'get')

Danny Baker used to be a good one, even listening back to old ones.
    I reckon this year they have found old form. Find my self having a giggle while driving home daily.
    I was sick of them towards the end of their last stint...
    Pretty sure they had a few years off?

I have an app, cost me 4usd
    PocketCast

It has all the podcasts and sports talk radio shows I listen to
    So easy to use too

Anyone been listening to the new season of Serial?

Pretty interesting. In the UK there was never much reporting on Bowe Bergdahl so it's all pretty much a new story me.

Anyone been listening to the new season of Serial?

Pretty interesting. In the UK there was never much reporting on Bowe Bergdahl so it's all pretty much a new story me.
    Starting it tomorrow when I get back to the gym.
    I love listening to podcasts when I am doing cardio.
    I heard its pretty good.....I love her quirky style

Another good one I have found called Lore. Every 20/25 min episode is a history behind folklore. It's really creepy and production is top notch. I listened to an episode on the way home one evening along the river... frigging creeped me out.