Thread: Audiobook Suggestions

Audiobook Suggestions

I really enjoy audiobooks and have an account at Audible.com - probably can find them for free somewhere but it kind of prompts me to buy a few each month. I thought to start a thread on suggestions like the TV series thread...some of my favorites so far:

Non-fiction
    Switch: How to change things when change is hard (kind of freakenomics style, good narrator)
    Street Smarts An all-purpose tool kit for entrepreneurs
    You are Not so Smart (still listening, kind of common sense but some interesting studies to be reminded of)

Dom Joly: Scary Monsters and Super Creeps (was great to listen to this prior to visiting Loch Ness!! Hilarious)
    Dom Joly: The Dark Tourist (loved it)

Fiction
    Day by Day Armageddon by JL Bourne - (like a diary of zombie attacks, the narrator a bit like he's talking to slow-brained people but story good so far at about 2 hours into it)

I still have to listen to:
    Sophie's World
    Lucifer's Hammer (read the book years ago)
    A Canticle for Liebowitz
    Moonwalking with Einstein
    Tom Clancy - Dead or Alive
    Lee Child - Without Fail

But looking for more suggestions!! Cheers!

Oh, and one book that I read in paperback was called The Martian by Andy Weir - story about a guy who gets left behind on a Mars mission - great read!! couldn't put it down, very "true" sci-fi with lots of details, technical, etc. with some humor injected. Highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robaht View Post
    Oh, and one book that I read in paperback was called The Martian by Andy Weir - story about a guy who gets left behind on a Mars mission - great read!! couldn't put it down, very "true" sci-fi with lots of details, technical, etc. with some humor injected. Highly recommend it.
    I've never done the audio books, but 'day by day armageddon' by Bourne is a great book (s) he was trend setter in the zombie apocalypse story's. Did you know that he's a active USA Air Force pilot? His insight on the military is of coarse awesome.

'The Martian' oh yeah! 55
    The author sold his rights to a big clearing house and the first thing they did was take it off of amazon as an e-book. They recognized the brilliance and want to 'un-e' the book. It's a brilliant book.

They tried the same thing with Wool...Howey (the author) told them to fuck off. 555
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Robaht View Post
    I happen to listen to exactly that one right now. Great "read" / "listen". I also love audio books as it's a rare chance to rest the eyes...

Just listened to another great audiobook if you like time-travel stories like Replay or The Time Travelers Wife. This one is very entertainingly read with an interesting story called "The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August" by Claire North.

I'm midway through another great one called "Beat the Reaper" by Josh Bazell, read by a kind of tough guy Charlie Sheen-style. Both books are worth checking out.

Cheers, Robaht

A great site that should keep you going for a while.

630 Free Audio Books: Download Great Books for Free | Open Culture

ebooks also in various formats.

700 Free eBooks for iPad, Kindle & Other Devices | Open Culture

Lots of good stuff on that site.
    Last edited by PadMC; 11th July 2015 at 19:04.