Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nelsonone

Thread: FARANG: The Story of Chef Andy Ricker of Pok Pok Thai Empire

FARANG: The Story of Chef Andy Ricker of Pok Pok Thai Empire

Vice this time.. This guys sure gets lots of airtime..

He kind of bugged me on Bourdain.

Just seemed like one of those guys that doesn't shut up about Thailand when you with him

Weirdest thing too is his restaurant in NYC is one of about 15 on 9th ave and doesn't ever seem that busy
    The couple Isaan restaurants a few blocks down are much busier

But his Portland restaurant is his main one. I was supposed to be in Portland this weekend, got lazy
    Last edited by marc26; 24th January 2015 at 14:26.

Just seems an unfair level of promotion.. One guy, few restaurants.. getting so much exposure on so many shows.. Like hes the goto guy..

he obviously has a bloody good publicist.....555

but you do have to give it to him...he is so infectiously enthusiastic about Thai food that he is good "talent" for TV
    LivinLOS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Just seems an unfair level of promotion.. One guy, few restaurants.. getting so much exposure on so many shows.. Like hes the goto guy..
    I will give him one thing
    He is smart as a whip to open in Portland
    That place is a food mecca when it comes to different foods
    People are very adventurous there.

I enjoyed the documentary, I think him and another Ozzie guy (name?) seem to be right on the ball when it comes to Thai food

Its a real rarity to get proper tasting Thai food outside Thailand in a restaurant and even more rare to think it's a western guy who is cooking or training others to cook the food

I don't see what's not to credit about him, looks like he has built his little empire from nothing

^ Aussie guy is David Thompson who has Nahm Restaurant in The Metropolitan Hotel in BKK...it has been awarded a Michelin Star...iirc the first Thai restaurant to be awarded a star was his restaurant of the same name in London which is now closed as he has moved here full time...fantastic (albeit expensive) Thai food...well worth a treat visit

Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    I enjoyed the documentary, I think him and another Ozzie guy (name?) seem to be right on the ball when it comes to Thai food

Its a real rarity to get proper tasting Thai food outside Thailand in a restaurant and even more rare to think it's a western guy who is cooking or training others to cook the food

I don't see what's not to credit about him, looks like he has built his little empire from nothing
    Ao finds many restaurants in North America where she feels the food is authentic.

Especially in NYC and the Isaan restaurant boom that has occurred there

She will visit Thai town in LA this summer where she has heard the food is amazing from other Thais here

Funny
    The one idea Ao had was open a Thai noodle shop, exactly like his new one in Portland

The Japanese Ramen shops here are line ups out the door
    Everyone loves Thai food so I'd imagine it would work

I was in Portland for the weekend with Dupree and another BM on TD

It is astonishing how many Thai restaurants there are in Portland and all pretty busy

But what is really astonishing is that there isn't that many Asians.........so all the customer base are whites.........which is definitely not the case in Vancouver....

Also, I had this girl's Khao Man Gai and really just by chance
    I was waiting for a bus and this was across the street.......didn't realize it was her place until I was ordering

Nong from youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlBGx9Npl6A