Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By kris-one
  • 1 Post By kris-one
  • 1 Post By LivinLOS
  • 1 Post By kris-one

Thread: New Adam Curtis documentary

New Adam Curtis documentary

I know some of you here enjoy his documentaries. You might miss his new one as it's being aired solely on i Player. It's about the West's experience in Afghanistan and how it has affected the political narrative back home.

Came out yesterday. it's 2+ hours so will try find the time to watch it myself later today.

BBC iPlayer - Adam Curtis: Bitter Lake
    Waharoa likes this.

thanks....

http://www.skullweb.org/2015/01/26/t...w-media-order/

Its here but only 360p..

Will have a check on iPlayer later to see if it streams better quality..
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 27th January 2015 at 07:51.

Was a bit disappointed in this effort. Maybe it's a bit above my intellectual station but I couldn't ever figure out what he was trying to conclude and the comparisons between banks and government and the Afghanistan strategy seemed a bit far fetched. Was interesting tho to get more of the back story regarding Saudi Arabia & the Wahhabists and how they pilled into Afghanistan with the direct encouragement of the Saudi King, hopefully to get themselves killed As always though some great archive footage but not sure justified such a OTT run time. Lots of the footage seemed to be included just because they had it rather than adding anything particualr to the point he was trying to make.
    LivinLOS likes this.

Watched through this today.. Positives and negatives..

On the one hand there was some good Saudi info from the post depression era i didnt know.. And lots of the oil embargo time.. I think he cleanly logicially linked up some of those and I do also think hes close to the money on the banking petro dollar shift from government control to financier control over the last about 2 decades, but agree his links were a bit more vague in this.. I think he did a great job of breaking down some of the massive mistakes made by UK in Helmand and linking a lof of that contextually with the history of various occupier forced and do good mentality totally backfiring.

On the flip side, you can see why this was an iPlayer only thing.. I think he could have cut a good 15 maybe 30 minutes out of some of the montage footage.. There were many times I was looking at, what I guess he feels is contextual parts and thinking about the emo kid in American Beauty recording the spinning shopping bag.. Really could have done with a bit of tightening up and losing a bit of the scattergun approach. Sure a soldier with a dove is a great image, or the kung fu taliban dude, but really, get the edit down to core narrative a bit more.

I will say tho.. The girl trying to explain conceptual art.. Via the dirty urinal.. Was just classic cringe material.. WTF are we thinking culturally sometimes.

I really liked his intro and conclusion link up monologue part tho.. He got that right.

6 out of 10.. Hes dropped off since the power of nightmares for me. In that he nailed a great balance.
    Waharoa likes this.

^ weird post Seft... I read every word.

Hard to believe you've been living in Asia for so long. Time you move your skill elsewhere.

LOL.. Unsure of if thats good or bad...

Also why wierd ??

Can't think of anything now.

I'll come back tomorrow!

OK just confused if you mean weird good or bad.. I dont mind being weird a lot of the time.

Rereading it, my keyboard batteries are going (and I still have a gimp hand) and these some weird spelling and punctuation but the rest makes sense in my head.

If nothing else Adam Curtis is original, I cant think of any other docu maker whose style is similar, his way of mining found footage and making some kind of video collage thats still a narrative.. And I think he has picked interesting and meaty topics to tackle.. Mass media and the use of fear, cold war game theory, machine intelligence, banking finance, etc etc.. These are not easy to explore without seeming tin foil and he manages to walk that line.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post

I will say tho.. The girl trying to explain conceptual art.. Via the dirty urinal.. Was just classic cringe material.. WTF are we thinking culturally sometimes.
    I got a bit of that feeling too when the British army were going to give the Afghan elders a treat by screening The Blue Plant. Came across as really patronising and 'hey look at how clever and civilized we are... now if you are a good bunch of elders we will let you watch this documentary...'. The elders were like fcuk this, we're going home.

Do you watch Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe? Adam Curtis some times does short pieces for his shows. I reckon you probably find it pretty funny.
    Waharoa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    I got a bit of that feeling too when the British army were going to give the Afghan elders a treat by screening The Blue Plant. Came across as really patronising and 'hey look at how clever and civilized we are... now if you are a good bunch of elders we will let you watch this documentary...'. The elders were like fcuk this, we're going home.

Thanks for this Chris. I really enjoyed it. Adam said that because it was made for iPlayer he was given licence to be artistic... to be able to do things he wouldn't do within the confines of network TV.

I think everyone in the Charles Hebdo thread should be made to watch this before they make another post. As most in that thread are as guilty as the US and British governments in thinking everything is black and white. Evil v Good etc. Maybe they'll understand better why its a complex religo-political-economic-power issue... going back decades. And not knowing even half the facts means you end up creating your own downward spiral...

Thanks for the link. Again I found it fascinating and the "arty" bits I appreciated as well, as they helped build the atmosphere of the patronising West trying to force the bright lights of capitalism on basic Muslim life. Sorta ironic that Russian communism and the West's capitalism are pretty similar in a lot of ways...
    Last edited by Waharoa; 31st January 2015 at 23:49.