Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Greatdane
  • 1 Post By Steve@thaib

Thread: Myanmar votes

Myanmar votes

Suu Kyi's day of destiny | Bangkok Post: news

Interesting times.. 25 years..

But after casting his vote in the capital, Myanmar's powerful army chief said his troops would respect the voice of the electorate.

"Just as the winner accepts the result, so should the loser," Min Aung Hlaing told reporters.

Yeah but she can't be president and the Junta gets an automatic 25% of the parliament
    So not exactly the most free elections

Progress though

Yes it is interesting times when Myanmar is more democratic than Thailand.

But surely the army will have to step in again. Suu Kyi has promised to rule by proxy, and that is not real democracy. Hopefully the proxy will transfer some government worker, thus they have an excuse to remove the proxy and Suu Kyi too.

That aside, I hope that when she is leading she will have the guts to do something about the Rohingya and the militant Buddhists, she has been a disapointment in that respect until now.
    LivinLOS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    That aside, I hope that when she is leading she will have the guts to do something about the Rohingya and the militant Buddhists, she has been a disapointment in that respect until now.
    She is forever tainted by that. Agree completely that this is real progress though, will be very interesting to see how it pans out.

K2
    From what I hear anecdotally the actual voting process was fair on the whole - hope the counting process is fair too.

Steve - Suu Kyi is not tainted domestically by the refusal to step in on the Rohingya issue, she would have been decimated supporting them, the Bamar majority will never give them proper rights, and the closer you get to Rakhine State, the more the hatred grows. Even domestically Suu Kyi has lost some support by her closer links with India and China, so I would not be too surprised to see a less than overwhelming victory for the NLD. Thien Sien is more popular than the Western media would like us to believe.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a6726721.html

So far, so good ....

Htay Oo, a close ally of President Thein Sein, said: "We have to find out the reason why we lost. However, we do accept the results without any reservations."
    For abit of insight on the anti-Islamic feeling in Myanmar, this is worth a read ..

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a6725781.html
    Last edited by K2; 9th November 2015 at 19:23.
    Its My Life .....!

K2
    Its My Life .....!

Well, looks like the counting process went well and they have their majority, enough of a majority to select the next president/PM. Do we really think the military are going to give the country back to democracy? That would be quite something.
    LivinLOS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    Well, looks like the counting process went well and they have their majority, enough of a majority to select the next president/PM. Do we really think the military are going to give the country back to democracy? That would be quite something.
    Well they aren't totally
    They are guaranteed 25% of any coalition............

^ This is more than baby steps though isn't it? It's huge if they see it through

It is huge.

From an outsider

K2
    Its My Life .....!

What an amazing turnaround for Myanmar if they make good on that.