Thread: found this quite moving...

found this quite moving...

Karen Story 2014 ~Not Ashamed of who I Am by Dream Of Light prodection - YouTube

And for Karen you could also substitute Chin and probablt a few others.
    I have a number of Karen friends and the always object when I say they're from Myanmar.
    Probably 15 or so ethnic groups waiting to explode in this country. And the UNHCR has shown they expect the refugee camps in Thailand to reduce to almost zero by 2015.
    Last edited by t0rn; 24th February 2014 at 21:28.

That's pretty powrful isn't it?

You have to wonder why Aung San Su Kyi ( scuse spelling ) has been so reluctant to voice her opinion on this. She's definitely a player in the politics of Myanmar now and she could surely make a difference?

^^^ Because now shes a politician... Same why shes not speaking up for the Rohinga and muslims who are being massacred..

Its a moving video, and of course due to her treatment she associates 'Burmese' with the terrible things that are done to her.. But I would think people have to also understand that being Karen, or Lisu, or Rohinga, Shan, or whatever doesnt mean they are not Burmese.. Same as being welsh or cornish doesnt stop you being british.. The point is mutual respect and harmony, equal rights under law and treatment, those aspects.. Once those can be guaranteed for all citizens, then citizens can start to see themselves as stakeholders in the country and unify.

I'd say she's always been a politician but due to incarceration, etc was elevated above that in the minds of many people.
    In the case of the Rohingyas, they're being explicitly told that they're not Burmese and that a couple of hundred thousand of them choose to live in refugee camps in Bangladesh is pretty telling.
    Other groups, well there's many Karen in refugee camps in Thailand and as the US stopped their resettlement programme last month I guess there will be more pressure for them to return. Shans are partly protected by the UWSA.
    There doesn't appear to be much effort to try to integrate the various ethnic groups into any kind of mainstream Burma and now 'the west'/UN has accepted that the minuscule amount of democracy offered is enough to flick the switch from Burma being bad to good, there don't appear to be a drivers for this to happen. Of course since China/Japan/ASEAN countries have been doing business pretty much regardless of the political situation, I guess 'the west' wanted to catch up.
    I feel there still a long way to go before <ethnic group> will also feel Burmese.
    At least the cornish and the welsh have been British for a long time (relatively) and they share having a funny accent..