Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By t0rn
  • 1 Post By t0rn

Thread: Yangon Restaurants

Yangon Restaurants

Mostly I can't remember that places I've eaten, here are the best ones I can:

Guzu 7th Street & Anawrahta Road - Great variety of prawn dishes @ 4k main course
    English menu & limited Englidh spoken, very friendly and not greasy food - Thai based maybe?
    This is a beer station type place and seems to also host many (local) work outings based on the quality of the food

STK Food Centre (Lanmadaw Branch) - 1K for fried noodles & chicken with a fried egg, no english menu,
    no english spoken - Very tasty food, could point to what you want in the 'kitchen' ..

Lion World - food is hit & miss here but now veering towards a hit, English menu, limited English spoken.
    draught beer!
    Hot & sour fish bits and Prawn curry about 3000 each.
    Singing/ Fashion show from around 7:30pm onwards

Singapore Noodles -
    Pretty much same as Lion World, slightly prefer the hot&sour fish here.

Junior Duck:
    Good chinese food here, looking out to the river. Sometimes (season?) ,outside terrace

Japan Japan (Pansodan Street), down from Panorama Hotel, opposite side of the road:
    Good but not great Japanese meals, on a par with fast food jap stuff, very tasy chicken yakatori, well priced.

Italian/Pizza - walk down from Panorama Hotel, south on Pansodan Street
    Decent pizza, pasta dishes from $5 up
    K2 likes this.

Biryani Retaurants:
    Number of these in Yangon and although they tend to follow the trend of cooking for lunch and that's whet's available for the rest of the day, generally very good:

Nihar Birryani - this one tends to be in the guide books, but deservedly so. Standard is chicken biryani at about 1500kkyat including water and soup/pickles but if they have any left mutton biryani is divine!
    Also lassi, etc is great and seems to be fresh because they do run out

Along Anawrahta Road - a few similar Biryani places which to be honest are on a par with Nihar.

Restauants with KTV:

Need other to fill this in really:

I'm told Power and Light is good.

Good stuff t0rn.. I wonder if it's worth starting some mapping up ?? Google maps etc of these would really help first timers..

Shame Rangoon has a no bikes policy.. Really puts me off not being able to explore under my own steam.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Good stuff t0rn.. I wonder if it's worth starting some mapping up ?? Google maps etc of these would really help first timers..

Shame Rangoon has a no bikes policy.. Really puts me off not being able to explore under my own steam.
    There are bikes outside of the city centre, not sure you could hire though, I've only borrowed - payed with a smile

Also hoping K2 will come in too as I tend to find somewhere I like and then just eat there - all the time

I will look at mapping also ...

K2
    Good to have some new places to go a check out as I've not been to any of those tOrn has listed. Good curry is always especially welcome

I have listed various restaurants in Yangon (and beyond) in the re-posted trip reports and like you once I find somewhere I like - I'll go back over and over again. Topping 365 Cafe in Thamada Hotel would be tough, but its hardly cheap and trying some new places would be good.
    Its My Life .....!

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    Good to have some new places to go a check out as I've not been to any of those tOrn has listed. Good curry is always especially welcome

I have listed various restaurants in Yangon (and beyond) in the re-posted trip reports and like you once I find somewhere I like - I'll go back over and over again. Topping 365 Cafe in Thamada Hotel would be tough, but its hardly cheap and trying some new places would be good.
    365 does a great Japanese breakfast but generally it's not my sort of place.
    After your last TR, I went to try a chicken terrayaki burger and while good, would need 2 or 3 to fill me up

Have you tried Monsoon? Not really my kind of place but you may like it. Different dish from all over Asia and very good service, expensive but not excessively so.

I'm generally happy with something local, freshly cooked and not too greasy. Draught beer is a bonus

K2
    555 - I know what you mean with 365 terrayaki chicken burgers - I really wish I could find somewhere in CM which made them - customer for life for whoever does them that good.

Monsoon? - not been there, where is it? Sounds worth a try.

Not eating (any green) veg or seafood does limit my dining options somewhat! 555
    Its My Life .....!

Apologies for taking so long to reply ....
    Monsoon is I guess nearish the Strand, it's a pan asian place and choca with middle class burmese and tourists, art gallery upstairs.
    Food is pretty good though not great. Service is good and all looks clean,etc

Didn't realise you were so fussy Junior Duck on the river may suit you also, chinese style but good duck amongst other things, outside terrace (maybe? not sure we ate inside) but anyway, nice river views and not too pricy.
    K2 likes this.

New User
    I use this site Restaurants & Bars | Yangon Life when I'm looking for restaurants in Yangon. It seems to have the widest listing of places including both the usual expat haunts as well as more local restaurants and it also shows the restaurant location on Google Map. The map link is especially useful as street address numbers in Myanmar don't seem to be arranged in any logical sequence!