Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Chance to move to Makati

Chance to move to Makati

Hello Folks,

Looking very likely that I'll have to make a decision whether to leave Panama and go to Makati City in the next few weeks, new job, better money etc...

Any advice?

I fancy it, I lived in Thailand for 7 months and have a couple of mates in Manila, so it's appealing, anyone know anything about living costs?

I know enough about the Asian sex scene so more interested in living!

Long weekends in Phuket, Bangkok etc, definitely appeals!

All info appreciated!
    "The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine"

Winston Churchill 1944

I was talking to a guy last week who built IT systems there for a long while and he couldn't say enough good things about the place and the people. He had worked all over Asia and said that the Filipinos were the easiest people to live and work with out of all of the Asians he had met. He was very positive about it.

For me, the most striking thing about Manila was the guns, the damn things were everywhere; even the security guy on Starbucks had a gun. Makati seemed ok though, easy enough to get around and enough going on in the evenings to make your weekends interesting

Thanks Steve, I must see 12 guns a day here in Panama so it sounds like it wouldn't be much different!
    "The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine"

Winston Churchill 1944

I've never seen so many, spooked me, but the city itself seemed ok. Kinda felt like Bangkok on steroids.

No doubt Makati is a much better place to live than in the city centre (or burbs) of Manilla itself...its more western, has a better selection of housing (read apartments) options and is easier to get in and out of to escape...which I am sure you will want to do on a regular basis...is not a beautiful place so select your apartment with great care

I'm a fan of Filipinos too...they work hard and play hard and have a wonderful joi de vivre...

Quote Originally Posted by Podders View Post
    Thanks Steve, I must see 12 guns a day here in Panama so it sounds like it wouldn't be much different!
    i forget his BM name of on here
    but our Malaysian friend lives in Makati, Yeaps, off and on now with his Phil wife
    i am sure someone has his email they can PM you
    he is a great guy and will help you out

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    i forget his BM name of on here
    but our Malaysian friend lives in Makati, Yeaps, off and on now with his Phil wife
    i am sure someone has his email they can PM you
    he is a great guy and will help you out
    Yeap (BM Coyotee) decided against Makati and bought a house in Cebu City.

http://asia-info.co/forums/general-r.../511-cebu.html

Yes
    If you go to www.numembo.com
    they will give you a cost comparison between Panama City and Makti,accommodation,utilities,food etc
    consumer prices 9.45% lower in Makati
    rent 19.98% lower in Makati etc

If you have a better paying job there you should be laughing.

Something to consider is very bad flooding in Manila most years choose an apartment carefully

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    I was talking to a guy last week who built IT systems there for a long while and he couldn't say enough good things about the place and the people. He had worked all over Asia and said that the Filipinos were the easiest people to live and work with out of all of the Asians he had met. He was very positive about it.

For me, the most striking thing about Manila was the guns, the damn things were everywhere; even the security guy on Starbucks had a gun. Makati seemed ok though, easy enough to get around and enough going on in the evenings to make your weekends interesting

My drunk ass mate hugged a security guard with an AK and asked for a photo, which he got, while the other security guard was filling up an ATM machine in Bali.

Yeah, a lot of guns in some parts of Asia, but they're not c*nts about it. But at the same time they won't hesitate to shoot ya if you're one.

I wouldn't worry about that sort of thing.

Make the move mate. Life is nothing if not a great adventure.
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Thanks all, they're going to fly me out there for a week to have a look around before making a decision, so that should help, I also have a couple of mates who work in the same company, so I think it's going to be a goer. We shall see!

Winston Churchill 1944

.......I also have a couple of mates who work in the same company, so I think it's going to be a goer. We shall see!
    THIS....will make all the difference

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    THIS....will make all the difference
    Yeah, I think you're right Nels, the company is mainly run by Brits too so there will be a big ex-pat contingent, which always helps in moves like this.

I'd be sad to leave Panama though!

Winston Churchill 1944

Sounds like a good move to me.........I never had jobs that took me around the world, seems like a great opportunity.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

Yeah, I think you're right Nels, the company is mainly run by Brits too so there will be a big ex-pat contingent, which always helps in moves like this.

I'd be sad to leave Panama though!
    Brits in PI.. Lemme guess..

Boiler room sales
    JimCA2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Brits in PI.. Lemme guess..

Boiler room sales
    Haha, miles away!

Winston Churchill 1944

Easy decision, I think. Very central location for all other areas of SEA. Also, many low cost flights to everywhere directly. They even have direct flights to Phuket now.
    Plenty of places also in the Phils. I would love to have enough time to visit the countless places to go in PI.

They're going to fly me out there for a week to have a look around, at least it's a free week away if nothing else!

Winston Churchill 1944

let us know your thoughts once you see the joint Podders...I'd be very interested as I have given the PI lots of thought as a place to live...but I just haven't found the right mix of perfect beach, decent infrastructure, low density (but near to everything) housing and attractive nightlife..wild monsoonal weather is probably an issue as well for me

Will do Nels, should be over there around 3rd/4th October for a week. I know very little about it but am trying to do some research beforehand. One thing I do know is, it's a ballache to get to from Panama, looking at around a day and a half!

Winston Churchill 1944

Flights booked for next Wednesday, Panama > Amsterdam > Taiwan > Manila and back on the Tuesday, hell of a journey, 25 hours in the air, but I'm not paying so can't complain too much and I'll be grateful of the KLM air miles. 3 full days to have a look around, so will report back after that.

Winston Churchill 1944

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast