Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By sundancekid
  • 1 Post By Greatdane
  • 2 Post By soupdragon
  • 1 Post By sundancekid

Thread: Ruby (previously Hugupit) now declared 'super typhoon'..

Ruby (previously Hugupit) now declared 'super typhoon'..

Batten down the hatches.. This could be a major deal..

US Navy upgrades ?Ruby? to ?supertyphoon? | Inquirer News

Been following this for a few days now. It was predicted to swing north but it now looks like it will just plows straight through. Biggest storm this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

?Ruby? packs peak winds of 350 kph | Inquirer News

350 kph winds !!!!

But the JTWC said Ruby was likely to recurve to the northwest toward southern Luzon. If that happens, the supertyphoon will hit Metro Manila.

The JTWC forecast Ruby to have maximum sustained winds of up to 305 kph and gusts of 370 kph by 2 a.m. on Saturday.

Will we get any backlash from this? only ask as I realise it will die off after hitting land, but last time I sort of remember we had two or three days of strong winds and unusual rain??.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Will we get any backlash from this? only ask as I realise it will die off after hitting land, but last time I sort of remember we had two or three days of strong winds and unusual rain??.
    If you mean the one a month back ?? I believe that was a large storm that came through the gulf.. At this point in time the path that far out is very hard to predict.. I think the one last year went north, over S cambodia, and through central Thailand IIRC.. But so many things can shift it 100s of miles in that time..

Doesn’t it look likely that we’re going to have at least some residue here in the coming days? Recall what happened last time and it was quite violent at times. Impossible to track of course.

Just so that we are reminded though, there are still 100,000s homeless from Haiyan. And regardless of what happened in the past, all the physics and science we know today tell us that a warmer world will lead to more moisture in the atmosphere and hence more fuel for these extreme weather events. With every bit of CO2 added, with ever tenth of a degree…

Beautiful animations, yet extremely dangerous. Phuket is in the dumping grounds already though given the south Vietnam landmass sling-shot.

earth :: an animated map of global wind, weather, and ocean conditions

EDIT: And just to add, as per the wind patterns above, just a slight change of course can completely change the entire track or trajectory. Just felt the need to point that out for some reason. Kind of like in life itself...
    Last edited by sundancekid; 5th December 2014 at 23:30.
    NeedHoliday likes this.

SDK.. Given how heavy this storm is, and the potential for the PIs to really suffer.. Reads like a bit of a cheap shot to score climate change points on this..

Not that I dont agree its all baked in the same pie.. But for now, I just hope its less dramatic that it potentially could be..

Sorry, but there's really no easy way to answer this... It's kind of scientifically proven already that (1) a wet climate will become wetter with a warming climate and (2) a dry climate will become even dryer due to moisture being drawn out of the soil due to evaporation.

And you think I mention this just to make a cheap frigging point? Yes it is dramatic. And getting more so every year due a scientific process that we've known for about 100 years already...
    Last edited by sundancekid; 6th December 2014 at 02:40.

I think LivinnLOS' point was not to dispute the fact of climate change but to say that talking about climate change when the hurricane is building up to a catastrophe is like talking about the lack of sea walls when a tsunami is about to hit the shore.
    LivinLOS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    I think LivinnLOS' point was not to dispute the fact of climate change but to say that talking about climate change when the hurricane is building up to a catastrophe is like talking about the lack of sea walls when a tsunami is about to hit the shore.
    Right... What a great world it would have been if we all could agree on the science. I hope you’re right about LiL, but not really sure yet. More like a lukewarmer or a fencewarmer? Or peeing on the fence?

We should be able to still walk and chew gum at the same time though. Even in heavy wind? So each time these kinds or wheather systems hits, it’s wrong to point out that basic physics tells us that if we continue along this path they will only get worse and worse each year? Not sure I agree with that strategy.
    Last edited by sundancekid; 6th December 2014 at 04:14.

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    We should be able to still walk and chew gum at the same time though. Even in heavy wind?
    I like the way you put that. I have read with great interest your posts on climate change, it is something I have felt strongly about for many years and I feel your frustration with the skeptics not being able to wrap their heads around the science. However, particularly at a time like this, I do agree that showing empthy for those about to get the shit kicked out of them rather than telling us why it is happening may be a better approach.
    sundancekid and LivinLOS like this.

The above nails it.. I am firmly in the man made change camp.. I am firmly in the reduce CO2 camp.. I am less sure that approaches of carbon credits or carbon taxes will be implemented properly but thats really the fine print on the issue..

I simply read it as point scoring in the face of what we are hoping will not be a human tragedy for an already poor country..

That would be admirable perhaps Lil if you weren't the biggest points scorer on the entire forum. ....lol

Enough of the bickering - according to #1 it was supposed to hit this AM - did it?
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

http://www.weather.com/storms/typhoo...andfall-impact

Typhoon Ruby kills 21 in Eastern Samar ? Philippine Red Cross | News | GMA News Online

Since making landfall its now been downgraded to a tropical storm.. Seemed to lose its energy quite rapidly ?? However the rainfall kills also not only the windspeed.. As such a slow moving system that could be considerable.

Glad they got this out of the way before my arrival.

Ok, looks like typhoon Maysak / Chedeng has been downgraded from a category 5 super. Still, what an amazing tweeted images from space. Not downplaying the potential damages of course.

Just recalling how Ruby dumped a lot of droplets on my doorsteps. And when it moves closer to the Philippines mainland, if the residues will again sling-shot around Vietnam and hit Phuket. We could actually do with some rain by now…

Waharoa likes this.

I was going to PI on the 6th, but changed my plans the last two days and I'm now headed to Vietnam. Just didn't want to deal with all the possible flooding etc. Get enough of that in Phuket.5555
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.