Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Surin Engagement Party Makes Headlines With Seven Figure Dowry

Quote Originally Posted by Easycpl View Post
    I dunno... I recently spent over a million baht on my daughters wedding in the States. I told her I'd rather pay the judge to hitch 'em and give them the remainder for a down payment on a house instead, but NO... this little girl has been planning her wedding since she was six, and she wasn't having any of that.
    I would give money for my daughter to be married, as well..............( I don't have one........so easy for me to say 555)
    But I have a lot of friends in their 30's and almost all of them split the costs of pretty much everything(wedding,house) and the wife usually goes back to work after they have children because they have good jobs

PS....my ex-gf from Brooklyn. I was 24yrs old with not enough money to pay for tolls. She said her dad saved 30kusd, and her aunt would give her 25kusd..........I would just need to come up with another 25kusd for the wedding 555

Don't throw good money after bad....
    "They got the metric system over there… they wouldn't know what the fcuk a quarter-pounder is…"

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Well, as I said......It's much more common these days for both the woman and man to save together for things such as weddings and down payments on houses
    Both in the west and Thailand, but this isn't a new thing (in either places) and was in fact common in rural Thailand before Sin Soht as a monetarily value (ie giving money) became the thing.

As I said before I like that both the guy and girl work jointly towards the Sin Soht (or wedding in the west) as it shows a sign of commitment from both, towards the marriage.

I would give money for my daughter to be married, as well..............( I don't have one........so easy for me to say 555)
    Are you willing to help your son pay his Sin Soht in Thailand if that be the case? any conditions etc if you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen34 View Post
    Are you willing to help your son pay his Sin Soht in Thailand if that be the case? any conditions etc if you are.
    Absolutely, I have already said I am not against sin soht.
    I would expect him to contribute though......It is showing he can provide, after all
    Thirteen34 likes this.

Absolutely, I have already said I am not against sin soht.
    I would expect him to contribute though......It is showing he can provide, after all
    Not saying you were against, but there is a difference in "not being against it" and helping (or expecting) to pay it.

By the way good on you for understanding and respecting the culture, and I also expect my kids (both girls and boys) to contributed towards it.

I don't want the money, but want the commitment if you understand what I mean. The money means nothing to me as my kids are well provided for, but say a guy comes along and wants to marry one of my girls, I want a show of commitment from them, not the parents giving money.

I fully understand this may be a protective father thing, but I am happy to live with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen34 View Post
    Not saying you were against, but there is a difference in "not being against it" and helping (or expecting) to pay it.

By the way good on you for understanding and respecting the culture, and I also expect my kids (both girls and boys) to contributed towards it.

I don't want the money, but want the commitment if you understand what I mean. The money means nothing to me as my kids are well provided for, but say a guy comes along and wants to marry one of my girls, I want a show of commitment from them, not the parents giving money.

I fully understand this may be a protective father thing, but I am happy to live with that.
    As I said before......I wouldn't be too fussed about a daughter receiving sin soht since I think the courtship is much longer than when son soht was established.
    So I think you should know if the groom is a good provider and committed by then.

As for stepson......My wife says I spoil him.
    I don't think I do. He lives a completely different life than she had growing up and that comes with needs and expenses.

I guess I do treat him more like a middle class western kid vs the bare minimum poor village kid.

He is a great kid and doesn't expect anything so I don't mind giving

What are the norms regarding sinsot, if one was to be marrying a Thai ladyboy?

And the ladyboy had been actively working on Walking Street in Patt's for a few years.

Would the ladyboy and family be asking for sin sot, or am I being homophobic for even implying there might be a difference?

^You'll be fine Pabs... just pay the same as you would have before you knew she was a LadyBoy...
    Tarzan likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12