Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Surin Engagement Party Makes Headlines With Seven Figure Dowry

Surin Engagement Party Makes Headlines With Seven Figure Dowry

This is causing a bit of a fuss in the local media.

Surin Engagement Party Makes Headlines With Seven Figure Dowry - Buriram Times

I have been to a Seven Figure Dowry between 2 Thai's in the past, but only half was actually given to the brides family and I have been to a Farang-Thai wedding where they presented a Seven Figure Dowry, but it wasn't given to the family and it caused a major loss of face to the Thai family.

Not sure why this one has made the local news.

I wouldn't have thought a million baht sin soht would be that uncommon in this day and age...

I know guys who have put down a chunk of cash, gold, cars and houses...collectively worth way more than a million baht...admittedly most to the wife rather than family...but they know if it all goes tits up it's the family's anyway...

Pretty sure I remember a farang guy offering a $1million sin soht for his thai "bride" going back just a couple of years ago

BTW....it obviously pays to be gay...555

English businessman pays THB5 million dowry to wed Thai factory worker | Coconuts Bangkok

Yeah not sure why it made the news, but I saw it in Thai news first and then came across an English language new article on it. It sparked my interest as its local to me. But its not that unusual

But the locals are asking why so much for an old lady and where to find a man like that.

A Canadian paid 100 million baht a few years ago, which is out of the ordinary (for anyone) but I think they were together about 10 years already.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    I wouldn't have thought a million baht sin soht would be that uncommon in this day and age...

I know guys who have put down a chunk of cash, gold, cars and houses...collectively worth way more than a million baht...admittedly most to the wife rather than family...but they know if it all goes tits up it's the family's anyway...

Pretty sure I remember a farang guy offering a $1million sin soht for his thai "bride" going back just a couple of years ago

BTW....it obviously pays to be gay...555

English businessman pays THB5 million dowry to wed Thai factory worker | Coconuts Bangkok
    I think Robert paid that for his "high-so" wife only for her to bang a Phuket cop and tell him to beat it a year later 5555

Another ridiculous pretence the Thai's seem to love.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

WTF
    Still cheaper than most western weddings.
    I would say there would have to be a keep sucking paragraph in the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    Another ridiculous pretence the Thai's seem to love.
    It's part of their culture and see nothing wrong with it, in the right situation
    My wife was married before and had a child I was taking care of...........so I felt I was doing enough and didn't need to give sinsot

But for a girl that hasn't been married and it is show of "taking care".............I see nothing wrong with it.

Of course, you have some farangs that either give sin soht to any girl that demands it and some, way over the top

One thing I never agreed with, and it is part of my principles, is when people show off the money but are not actually giving it.
    I'd be uncomfortable showing off the money, even if I was giving it...........but I'd never just show money to show it

Congrats to the happy couples.
    Waharoa likes this.

K2
    44yo Virgin .... what a numpty!!
    Its My Life .....!

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    But for a girl that hasn't been married and it is show of "taking care".............I see nothing wrong with it.
    I agree, I think the traditional aspect of it is a good thing, for both my daughters I am expecting a "sin soht". I don't intend to keep it, but I like the fact it shows commitment from both my daughters and they partners.

BTW this is a long, long way off, my wife says they can't get married until they are 30. 555 I don't agree but will we cross this bridge when we come to it. 555

One thing I never agreed with, and it is part of my principles, is when people show off the money but are not actually giving it.
    I'd be uncomfortable showing off the money, even if I was giving it...........but I'd never just show money to show it
    From around my area, its not meant to be for show and it brings a huge loss of face if that happens (and it does happen).

The tradition (around here) is that Sin Soht is returned in some way, either by giving the newly married couple land, down payment for a house or car etc, its never given back as money and its up to the parents to decide how they give it back, often of course they ask the daughter/partner what they would prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    44yo Virgin .... what a numpty!!
    There is no requirement to be a virgin around where I live or not being previously married or having children. Yes it is taken into consideration in-regards to the amount, but its still required.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen34 View Post
    I agree, I think the traditional aspect of it is a good thing, for both my daughters I am expecting a "sin soht". I don't intend to keep it, but I like the fact it shows commitment from both my daughters and they partners.

BTW this is a long, long way off, my wife says they can't get married until they are 30. 555 I don't agree but will we cross this bridge when we come to it. 555

From around my area, its not meant to be for show and it brings a huge loss of face if that happens (and it does happen).

The tradition (around here) is that Sin Soht is returned in some way, either by giving the newly married couple land, down payment for a house or car etc, its never given back as money and its up to the parents to decide how they give it back, often of course they ask the daughter/partner what they would prefer.
    Although I don't think sin soht is bad......I wouldn't be asking for it if I had a daughter but if my wife or MIL were adamant about it, I wouldn't fight it.

My reasoning is I think in these times, the courtships are much longer...... Incredibly longer. So you should know if the groom is capable of providing
    Now......This is just a guess.....But I would imagine courtships were very brief when the sin soht practice started, hence the need to show that you could provide....

As for anything to do with face......It literally would never be a factor in any decision I make......
    Now, that is a cultural custom that is mostly, and I say mostly not always....... Ridiculous.

I honestly don't care what my Thai neighbors, family, or whoever thinks about the decisions I make for my family because, in my experience, the ones judging usually haven't made proper decisions regarding their own affiars

Although I don't think sin soht is bad......I wouldn't be asking for it if I had a daughter but if my wife or MIL were adamant about it, I wouldn't fight it.

My reasoning is I think in these times, the courtships are much longer...... Incredibly longer. So you should know if the groom is capable of providing
    Now......This is just a guess.....But I would imagine courtships were very brief when the sin soht practice started, hence the need to show that you could provide....
    Traditionally marriages were arranged in my parts, less so these days, but the parents have to approve.

I could easily be persuaded to forgo a Sin Soht for my daughters for the right guy, but not my wife 555, I maybe able to talk her around, but she thinks her daughters can't get married until 30, 555

But I am a father and I am sure when my daughters are older, I won't have a lot of say. 555

As for anything to do with face......It literally would never be a factor in any decision I make......
    Now, that is a cultural custom that is mostly, and I say mostly not always....... Ridiculous.
    I disagree, I see face as a show of respect, so in IMO its not all wrong. As with anything it can be abused, but I find the true nature to be very touching.

Its not that difference from traditional values shown in the west, but maybe I come a family or back ground that this was important. So who knows if I am in touch with today's values, but going on how my nieces and nephews are in the west, I think I am.

I honestly don't care what my Thai neighbors, family, or whoever thinks about the decisions I make for my family because, in my experience, the ones judging usually haven't made proper decisions regarding their own affiars
    I agree, I don't care what they think, in fact this is something that I have instilled upon my Thai family, I care about being a good person and not about the social status of that person, ie I am happy talking with the poor Thai as much as the wealth. I don't judge a person on their wealth, but as a person.
    Last edited by Thirteen34; 24th December 2016 at 08:05.

In every culture...men pay. Whether its for a short time hooker for an hour or a long term marriage...men pay...pay a sin soht, or invest directly into the marriage by buying a house, cars, etc...men pay....it happens in many different ways, in many different countries and lifestyles...but men pay...A man wants a woman, he pays..Sure there are the few circumstances that don't always follow this rule of thumb but for the most part, guess what?
    Has anyone here ever have a woman who wanted you so bad (aside from the lucky gigolo)that she offered to give you money to bang her, or be her boyfriend or husband or invest in a long term relationship or whatever???...and in most western countries, sure a woman will hang with you when you first hit it off...but eventually, it's going to cost you money courting her etc...and she will at some point want a commitment, which means a long term thing which means money.
    So if the dude is ok with giving a 7 figure dowry...who is anyone of us to judge...up to him...Sure there are no guarantees in life..but WTF..it's the chance you take

Quote Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
    In every culture...men pay. Whether its for a short time hooker for an hour or a long term marriage...men pay...pay a sin soht, or invest directly into the marriage by buying a house, cars, etc...men pay....it happens in many different ways, in many different countries and lifestyles...but men pay...A man wants a woman, he pays..Sure there are the few circumstances that don't always follow this rule of thumb but for the most part, guess what?
    Has anyone here ever have a woman who wanted you so bad (aside from the lucky gigolo)that she offered to give you money to bang her, or be her boyfriend or husband or invest in a long term relationship or whatever???...and in most western countries, sure a woman will hang with you when you first hit it off...but eventually, it's going to cost you money courting her etc...and she will at some point want a commitment, which means a long term thing which means money.
    So if the dude is ok with giving a 7 figure dowry...who is anyone of us to judge...up to him...Sure there are no guarantees in life..but WTF..it's the chance you take
    In North America.....The custom is that the girls family pays for the wedding.
    That is dying out mostly.

I'd say, nowadays....
    It is more common for both people to be working and they basically split everything from wedding costs to down payments on a house

WTF

I'd say, nowadays....
    It is more common for both people to be working and they basically split everything from wedding costs to down payments on a house
    Even when the brides family pay it's still the man that pays though in this case it would be dad.
    No money no honey.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF View Post
    Even when the brides family pay it's still the man that pays though in this case it would be dad.
    No money no honey.
    Well, as I said......It's much more common these days for both the woman and man to save together for things such as weddings and down payments on houses

WTF
    Still very few relationships would ever be a fifty fifty split money wise. Maybe you have had a different experience in your marriage or relationship pick applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF View Post
    Still very few relationships would ever be a fifty fifty split money wise. Maybe you have had a different experience in your marriage or relationship pick applicable.
    I don't but I'd like to and if I were looking into a new relationship it would be something I'd prefer.
    I just think it puts both people on a more level playing field, so to speak

And I would guess most younger couples these days are much closer to 50/50 than couples where the man makes the majority of the money.

I'd say even in my age bracket, couples in their 40's, there is a good amount of couples where the wife has just as good of job as the husband.
    And the kids who work for me, in their 30's.....That is definitely the case, that the wife brings in just as much money
    Last edited by marc26; 29th December 2016 at 12:00.

I'd say, nowadays....
    I dunno... I recently spent over a million baht on my daughters wedding in the States. I told her I'd rather pay the judge to hitch 'em and give them the remainder for a down payment on a house instead, but NO... this little girl has been planning her wedding since she was six, and she wasn't having any of that.
    "They got the metric system over there… they wouldn't know what the fcuk a quarter-pounder is…"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast