Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: End of the road for some farangs in Thailand?

But are they getting regular nookie? Enquiring minds want to know...55

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    But are they getting regular nookie? Enquiring minds want to know...55
    555 had to google that. They may get lucky on the Burmese fisherman brothels down by the pier

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Talking about people with limited money and no safety net. Here in Ranong we have 30+ odd school teachers, some of them been here for years. Salaries about 30K baht, no work permits, no insurance, no money for ticket home.
    I could never do that.
    but you have to think
    who are these people and did they have any sort of satisfactory life in the west because in the examples you give above that is not living a better life

One of the positive things about having a GF/Wife who used to work in the bar... If things get tight, you can always send her back to turning tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie View Post
    One of the positive things about having a GF/Wife who used to work in the bar... If things get tight, you can always send her back to turning tricks.
    Oh dear...55

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    but you have to think
    who are these people and did they have any sort of satisfactory life in the west because in the examples you give above that is not living a better life
    Well, most of them are English/ Europeans, so they do have free health care and decent social welfare systems where they come from. But then again they might not like the A4 life in the west............You can live on 30K in places like Ranong if you're not out on the piss every day. But as I said before, it's nothing extra for insurances and other emergency stuff....

i think that this is a great thread topic.
    For me it would be a nightmare to have to go back and live in the West after nearly a decade in Thailand. I do think that someone could still have a fairly decent life on the cheap if they lived in Isaan or somewhere similar. I just could not live in the sticks (one of the villages) I would need to live in more of an urban area: KK, Udon, CM, etc.). I do know guys that live in places where life stops when the lights go off....about 7pm, without farang television, internet, or any kind of entertainment within a half hour to an hour away. No thanks.

Same for me Bill, that's why I stay in Ranong in low season. And you can't argue about 40 Baht beers in the bars ;-)
    As soon as high season is over life on Koh Phayam turn into Issan........

while the forum was down I read Thai Visa a bit, i never had before
    just too big for me

but i noticed a difference on there, maybe just because of the size

on PI forum, the expats seemed to be guys that had done well early or older guys retired
    maybe not rich, but have a good savings behind them
    on Thai Visa, seemed you have a lot more guys over in LOS on not very much funds
    honestly, i never really gave it a though other than the few dregs i see around, but there is a lot of farangs in Thailand either not making much money even if working or not saved that much for a safety net
    I did the same and read a few threads, I too came to the same conclusion, no idea why but quite a lot of guys on that forum posting in several threads they were on their arse and had nothing to live off. One guy was asking how to sneak out of the country with his two kids because he was 11 months behind on his rent and another had been offered a teaching job in Pattaya on 30k a month, but only had 5k left and couldn't afford to travel from CM to Pattaya and then live for one month awaiting his first pay cheque??

Now it may be as I only read a few threads I just happened to read these ones , but in all my years on PI, I cannot remember reading many of a similar nature?

My other conclusion to that forum, was what a bunch a neg heads!!! seemed to me that all they could post was why Thailand is crap and anywhere else is brilliant. Then some one posted ' then why don't you ferk off to the brilliant somewhere else? and then immediately 10 or more of them were straight back with 'oh here comes one of the ferk off back home brigade', as if he was wrong and it was good to be a neg head??

On one thing I did think was good and that was news of latest events.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    I did the same and read a few threads, I too came to the same conclusion, no idea why but quite a lot of guys on that forum posting in several threads they were on their arse and had nothing to live off. One guy was asking how to sneak out of the country with his two kids because he was 11 months behind on his rent and another had been offered a teaching job in Pattaya on 30k a month, but only had 5k left and couldn't afford to travel from CM to Pattaya and then live for one month awaiting his first pay cheque??

Now it may be as I only read a few threads I just happened to read these ones , but in all my years on PI, I cannot remember reading many of a similar nature?

My other conclusion to that forum, was what a bunch a neg heads!!! seemed to me that all they could post was why Thailand is crap and anywhere else is brilliant. Then some one posted ' then why don't you ferk off to the brilliant somewhere else? and then immediately 10 or more of them were straight back with 'oh here comes one of the ferk off back home brigade', as if he was wrong and it was good to be a neg head??

haha
    i read both those threads also!
    the lunatic who was trying to sneak out of the country was on other threads giving financial advice!!

beyond the cynics........the forum is just too vast so you don't really get a sense of community

i do think it is more representive of all ex-pats. you have guys with good jobs, teachers, retirees

but not for me
    on another note, how much must that forum make?

The New Expat

this was a great article in Stickman a few weeks ago.

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Stick...-lifestyle.htm

and i have seen it plenty the last couple times i was in Thailand
    most of the places we hung out had tons of young westerners
    the Four Points Sheraton had a rooftop party and it was all young expats and young thai professionals

beyond the cynics........the forum is just too vast so you don't really get a sense of community
    Thats my issue too.. some of the sub forums like the motorbike forum etc ahve a sense of that, but overall I cant be bothered with it..

this was a great article in Stickman a few weeks ago.

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Stick...-lifestyle.htm

and i have seen it plenty the last couple times i was in Thailand
    most of the places we hung out had tons of young westerners
    the Four Points Sheraton had a rooftop party and it was all young expats and young thai professionals
    A good article.. And on the money when it comes to the up and up..

I think tho theres far less of them, Phnom Penh is seeing this too but the old guard eeking out lifestyles on sub 1000 usd a month hates them more and feels more threatened by them.. I spent a few nights hanging out with a young property guy.. Been there a year, doing VERY well income wise, come within a hair of closing a few multi million USD corporate RE deals which would net him a 3% payout, in fact was schmoozing a client on my last night in town. Totally different demographic than some 60 year old guy with a minimal pension trying to supplement it with some poorly paid english teaching. Wild divergence in the same town and tiny expat scene.

My condo building here in Suk 11 is overflowing with the youngish types you mention

I get the impression they aren't much interested in embracing anything Thai in their lifestyles.......................the women are the worst 5555555555555 what a bunch of screeching conts 5555555555555555

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post

Teak Door is a bit of the same.. Some of the posters there are real haters... But get to the motoring or building sections and there is a lot of good info available.

Quote Originally Posted by retepg View Post
    Teak Door is a bit of the same.. Some of the posters there are real haters... But get to the motoring or building sections and there is a lot of good info available.
    TD is really great in the building sections.. As is mycoolthaihouse..

What I like about TD is the posters are more spread out, theres more Isaan guys, more farming guys, more country life type threads..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    TD is really great in the building sections.. As is mycoolthaihouse..

What I like about TD is the posters are more spread out, theres more Isaan guys, more farming guys, more country life type threads..
    It defiantly has some very useful information available. And a lot of guys willing to share. But get in to the general stuff and it is often a troll fest.

Never been on TD, but I can say I use Thai Visa for info from time to time... and when I do, I know I will have to wade through a dozen crotchety bitter posters to get to any decent information. That's my problem with the place... just seems to be infested with people with absolutely nothing better to do than take a negative, contrary view of anything written and b!tch about it... I swear I could post something as innocuous as "The sun is going to come up tomorrow" and it would start a long, tiring debate... there's some good people there and good info, but serious filtering is required...
    soupdragon likes this.

WTF
    TD is good for building info as is Coolthaihouse or even Surinfarang but as for the rest of it no thanks.

When I first went on TD I thought it should be called TD.com.au, so much so it put me off joining in. Things are better now with more posters from different countries.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast