Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: End of the road for some farangs in Thailand?

End of the road for some farangs in Thailand?

Didn't we recently have a thread here that covered the concept of a farang boyfriend allowing his girl to work in bars and go with "customers"?

Anyway, just got some startling news along that line.

My gal told me that a certain farang guy (that I know) from around the village, has maxed out his spending and his wife has gone to Pattaya to "work". He is staying back in their home, taking care of their two small children. (WTF?)

She went on to say that "he not have good money anymore". And the guys wife sank them into 700,000thb worth of gambling debt! (House as collateral, etc.) I don't know the guy well, but have shared a few beers with him from time to time, at the local farang bar. I think he was on a small fixed pension...from England.

You know (as I told her...), if a guy retired in LOS 10 years ago and had enough income to meet the 65,000thb per month requirement...given the way the baht has appreciated, that may only be worth around 35 or 40K these days. And getting worse.

I feel sorry for any of these guys who are feeling that sort of a pinch, but of course, the gambling thing is another story!
    Last edited by Pablo; 21st April 2013 at 13:28.

Well it's a good thing that your girl is different...55

I think its fair to say the idea of heading east because its cheap.. May not be fully over but is certainly far less than it was. Guys whose long term planning didnt account for 50% currency movements in the retirement pot may be looking a lot less luxury than they first assumed.

I was telling Keld a story last night about a guy around one of the massage shops here but best not for the public spaces

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Well it's a good thing that your girl is different...55
    Yeah, but she gambles too!

They have a local lottery that draws once a month, and she always goes in (once a month) for 150 baht. She's never won anything though.

I asked her, "how much do you get, if you win?"

She laughed and said she didn't know. 5555

I guess you'd call her a "social gambler".

Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    Thanks for mentioning but not telling us ;-)

Time for L2?
    Yeah, probably L2 mine also. 555

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    Yeah, but she gambles too!

They have a local lottery that draws once a month, and she always goes in (once a month) for 150 baht. She's never won anything though.

I asked her, "how much do you get, if you win?"

She laughed and said she didn't know. 5555

I guess you'd call her a "social gambler".
    You lucky bastard!!!
    Mine is putting 500baht a month into the same thingie. She won 4K 5 years ago, so she is going minus 5555

For some folks it ain't the baht exchange that's the problem, its having a wife with a gambling problem.
    Far too many just throw away a lifetimes work over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    For some folks it ain't the baht exchange that's the problem, its having a wife with a gambling problem.
    Far too many just throw away a lifetimes work over it.
    Not only on girls are gambling.........what about wasting their life savings on building big houses with pools up in the middle of nowhere for a girl they just met in a bar. It's gambling too, but I think the odds to win is even smaller.

Imagine that? Thinking you are going to spend the rest of your days in Thailand, or anywhere come to that, and finding that your fixed income won't cut it as the exchange rate works away from you. Can't afford to stay, nothing to go back home to. That must be horrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    Imagine that? Thinking you are going to spend the rest of your days in Thailand, or anywhere come to that, and finding that your fixed income won't cut it as the exchange rate works away from you. Can't afford to stay, nothing to go back home to. That must be horrific.
    Indeed. Whatever about ending up skint on your own but having kids. That's a total balls. I knew a few fellas (Don't we all )that were messing about Patong bordering on skint all the time, always trying to borrow money, not going into certain bars because the owed the owner or other customers money, their old mates. An awful way to be living and never ends up good.

Cut one's coat according to one's cloth.

Anybody's "pot of gold" (metaphorical, perceived or actual) can devalue remarkedly very rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    Cut one's coat according to one's cloth.

Anybody's "pot of gold" (metaphorical, perceived or actual) can devalue remarkedly very rapidly.
    Too many people wanting to "live the dream" Baz. They visit one time, think to themselves, hey I could afford to live here FT. All goes well until a couple of years down the line, the exchange rate has swallowed half their savings.
    There must be plenty of Brits thinking of leaving with the value of their now so low and probably only going to go further down.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Think about all the bars and expats we used to visit frequently only 7-8 years back.......it's not many left (Not all of them ran out of money, but loads of them did). IMO that's why Patong have lost its charm. It's not only because of the Russians, Chinese and Korean tourists.

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Think about all the bars and expats we used to visit frequently only 7-8 years back.......it's not many left (Not all of them ran out of money, but loads of them did). IMO that's why Patong have lost its charm. It's not only because of the Russians, Chinese and Korean tourists.
    So true, so many have moved on from Patong it really isn't the same any more.

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    Too many people wanting to "live the dream" Baz. They visit one time, think to themselves, hey I could afford to live here FT. All goes well until a couple of years down the line, the exchange rate has swallowed half their savings.
    There must be plenty of Brits thinking of leaving with the value of their now so low and probably only going to go further down.

Like 1985 - 27.91 Baht to 1 GBP?

Anyone who thought 70+ baht was sustainable was "dreaming".

EDIT: Sorry about the graph sizing but it is 20 years GBP to the Baht.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Evilbaz; 21st April 2013 at 21:17.

Oh well you've always got Thai Dreaming to ease your day

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    But hasnt that always been the cycle ?? One comes, one goes.. The newbs (we all were once) think its all great, the old hands moan about how much better it was back when the girls were less greedy and it was all that much more fun ??

I really think I had Patongs heyday.. From early visits late 90s, to living there just after the millenium.. How the services matched my needs, the roughness matched my temperament, the costs matched my wallet.. And I feel a year or so after the Tsunami is the point when it soured and the coral died, the village feel of the south was lost, the increased visitor number changed it.

But then I remember guys who came before me, who remember Nanai as dirt, the Karon coast rd going in.. those early developments.. I remember them speaking just the same with wild tales of throwing blocks of weed on the coals in the sauna and getting stoned and rooting girls in the rock pools swimming holes.. How they felt it was all too modern in 2000 and them heading off to Isaan or cambo back then for the frontier that fitted their needs. Me thinking I needed internet cellphones and coffee beans..

Everyone picks the point on the development curve. I bet in 5 years guys will be posting about the heyday they had in 2103, when X disco rocked and before the whole island was a single urban lump, an island city.

^whenever you talk about the good ole days, yours or your predecessors, you always mention shagging girls in pools or swimming holes as great pinnacles of decadence...55

^whenever you talk about the good ole days, yours or your predecessors, you always mention shagging girls in pools or swimming holes as great pinnacles of decadence...55
    Seem to remember some Chiang Mai pool party pics on PI, lot of tonnage, but very few girls in the water..........

No ways that Viking Pool..he hee

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast