Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The house dream...

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    If a TG came into a shed load of money what else could she do but spend it on her parents?
    Look at the alternatives:

Gambling?
    Partying and spending?
    Planning for the future? Give me a fecking break....Read the following...
    Family/Village/Land/Gold
    my wife always say's if we win the lotto,we will pay for the house straight away,i'm sure looking after after her mother would be second but i'd not have much issue with that as she doesn't ask for anything

My TG partner (5th year) came to me yesterday and asked to set up an account which only I could withdraw from as the passbook holder.

After I pointed out she has three bank accounts to put her salary into she said " If I have ATM card I cannot save!"

I agreed to hold the passbook in my safe and match her monthly savings deposits.

So now, maybe, I have to change my view of there being no Thai word for budget and that is why they do not understand the concept.

^ That's what my dad used to do with my paper round money so I wouldn't spend it. Does it really feel like you have to do that stuff with a fully grown adult? Would drive me bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    ^ That's what my dad used to do with my paper round money so I wouldn't spend it. Does it really feel like you have to do that stuff with a fully grown adult? Would drive me bonkers.
    Never been married to a big spending western wife - keeping ahead of the Joneses obviously Kris ...

When the poor have never had money they seldom handle new found riches wisely - you have to educate them.

If your comment really is your attitude - don't look here for a partner.

Sure, at the start I guess that should be the case. Same with a child coming into 20 quid a week and it burning a whole in their pocket as it did at the time with me. But 5 years later I learned to budget, manage my money and realised I didn't have to spend it straight away. How come you can't teach a thai lady the same in 5 years of being together...?

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    Sure, at the start I guess that should be the case. Same with a child coming into 20 quid a week and it burning a whole in their pocket as it did at the time with me. But 5 years later I learned to budget, manage my money and realised I didn't have to spend it straight away. How come you can't teach a thai lady the same in 5 years of being together...?

Kris by making that post and asking that question, it only shows you have no idea about Western/Eastern relationships.

^ I dont profess to know much about Western/Eastern relationships. Especially western/poor thai ex BG woman from the village relationships....hence the question mark at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Kris by making that post and asking that question, it only shows you have no idea about Western/Eastern relationships.
    and maybe you have a limited view?
    isn't it common in eastern relationships that the women take care of the finances?

i sort of agree with everyone
    -i think Baz's girl wanting to save, in any manner, is a good thing
    -but being 30yrs +, in a western/eastern relationship for 5 years, running her own businesses, she should learn how to save w/o having someone do it for her
    - or maybe she just sucks at saving like i do! 555

i see all sorts of different situations in all different sort of relationships
    some people are good savers, some are not

i don't think you can just say it should be one way
    but K-1 saying he thinks a 30yrs + old person should be able to manage their finances, is a valid point

I just want to point out that most of my friends at home (I hesitate to call it that) in Florida are over 30... hell, most are 40 or quickly approaching it.

Most have had the benefit of western educations, western style parenting (loving children and trying to teach them the best ya know) and of course a life of access to the internet and libraries full of books that could easily teach them the basics of money. And yet all still live paycheck to paycheck, saving nothing.

That being my frame of reference, I cannot bring myself to complain much when a gal who had none of those advantages isnt a saver...

I was with a BG in Patts who was university educated but dancing cos it paid better(monthly salary 10,000 BT),. I got the impression she didn't get barfined a lot. she got about 3000 baht out of me for a few days, had to go to BKK for a day when she came back she had spent it all on a ring. Her reason, I like I buy. A few nights later I bf'd her and her friend just for dinner and drinks. I gave her friend 1000bt as a parting tip which she didn't look like she was expecting as she was happy to get the night off and she said this is going into the bank! She was older and reckoned she'd two years of dancing left back in 2011 so maybe they change when the end is in sight?

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    I was with a BG in Patts who was university educated but dancing cos it paid better(monthly salary 10,000 BT),. I got the impression she didn't get barfined a lot. she got about 3000 baht out of me for a few days, had to go to BKK for a day when she came back she had spent it all on a ring. Her reason, I like I buy. A few nights later I bf'd her and her friend just for dinner and drinks. I gave her friend 1000bt as a parting tip which she didn't look like she was expecting as she was happy to get the night off and she said this is going into the bank! She was older and reckoned she'd two years of dancing left back in 2011 so maybe they change when the end is in sight?
    i think just like any other people you have your savers and spenders
    i think in the poor bg demographic you will have more spenders because they don't know how to handle the sudden money infusion but i've seen a good few savers in that demographic as well

i come from a poorer family and my mom and older siblings were/are horrible at budgeting/saving money and i am still not saving enough now, i believe, due to my upbringing and not being taught
    it was ingrained in me to spend it when you got it

^^^^ my mom is different.

I pay her bills, bought her cars, and anything else I can do. Maybe I was a TG in my previous life....

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    .......Maybe I was a TG in my previous life....

that would explain a lot actually 555

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    that would explain a lot actually 555
    Check please........

Hey wait? Are you making fun of my spelling?
    Last edited by slampay; 17th May 2013 at 12:26.

Well in my limited view I'd point out the first consequence of saving for most/majority of eastern girls - family, friends, neighbours all wanting to bollow!!! which as we know is really have, not borrow.

The actual amount of saving they can make normally and what it means to want for so much else, that is basic to many.

The lack of ability to get easy credit without going to a loan shark. A community that does not live out of credit cards, unlike the western world, in their must have everything now lifestyles.

Its a hard concept to change over a 5 year period, not impossible but nothing like comparing to a 20 year old western kid with all the influences and parental guidance from the year dot, when they get their first pocket money, to their first pay cheque.

Try discussing this a few times with your Thai friends, try asking about their view on investing, saving, building a business, so much is so so different here, then go away and try to work out why? that's all I do and why my decisions change over time as I learn a little more, get a little greater insight, its something that I have done all my life, people, cultures, actions interest me. yep I know nerdy!!!!55555

Well in my limited view I'd point out the first consequence of saving for most/majority of eastern girls - family, friends, neighbours all wanting to bollow!!! which as we know is really have, not borrow.

The actual amount of saving they can make normally and what it means to want for so much else, that is basic to many.

The lack of ability to get easy credit without going to a loan shark. A community that does not live out of credit cards, unlike the western world, in their must have everything now lifestyles.

Its a hard concept to change over a 5 year period, not impossible but nothing like comparing to a 20 year old western kid with all the influences and parental guidance from the year dot, when they get their first pocket money, to their first pay cheque.

Try discussing this a few times with your Thai friends, try asking about their view on investing, saving, building a business, so much is so so different here, then go away and try to work out why? that's all I do and why my decisions change over time as I learn a little more, get a little greater insight, its something that I have done all my life, people, cultures, actions interest me. yep I know nerdy!!!!55555
    i think you misunderstood me
    i think we all agree on everything you said

but isn't it common in Asia for the women to be the savers/budgeters?
    in Japan, they say over 50% of guys get what is called a "husband salary"
    they turn their pay over and get an allowance

and in good run small businesses, you always see the Asian woman taking care of the finances

I bow to greater counsel.

My Mrs is a better saver than me..............she went off to Issan 2 weeks ago with 20K, talked to her yesterday and she still got 10K left. It's a good thing at the end of rainy season when money is running low........

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    My Mrs is a better saver than me..............she went off to Issan 2 weeks ago with 20K, talked to her yesterday and she still got 10K left. It's a good thing at the end of rainy season when money is running low........
    No Geir all that means is she spends less than you do!!!55555 possibly drinks less leo's???

I do drink slightly more than her..........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast