Quote Originally Posted by changone View Post
    there ya go...555
    omg thanks your the best!!!!!!111

Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 13.57.09.jpg

Ok go feck yourself then...555

No button for that...
    NeedHoliday likes this.

^^^
    I have often felt that it would be great if the forum had a "dislike" button.

It would seriously reduce the post count in the islamic terrorism thread. 55555
    Changone, Waharoa, Dkdude and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    I also often see on Facebook that a Thai friend will "like" literally everything you post, regardless of content, and the recipient often keeps track of all the likes and then posts a picture of that person liking everything, like they got a reward for the most likes they sent - which sounds like they're basically stroking each others egos.
    Yeah agreed.. Just liking everything the friend posts.. Friend just has a car crash.. Like..

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio View Post
    ^^^
    I have often felt that it would be great if the forum had a "dislike" button.

It would seriously reduce the post count in the islamic terrorism thread. 55555
    I have seen that cause choas.. Was it even not on PI for a while..

There was a 'rep' button where you could + or - a post.. and that lead to people having a rep score.. and people got sooooo pathetic about it..

Did someone just neg rep me for that.. FFS all it was was a picture of a puppy.. How could anyone etc etc. With huffing and puffing and dummy spits..

Then some members found great delight in winding up the ones that cared.. and would neg rep everything they posted for fun.. so people sailed into minus rep.. gangs formed to neg rep other gangs.. All went totally lord of the flies and Nicke had to disable it.. A great study in group consciousness.

I'm totally with the point of view that it's not eating the pizza it's showing off the pizza and I don't think it's just Thai's that suffer from this but I do think it's mainly women, particularly recently married or women who've got young kids. I've a few Thai friends on FB and they nearly always like my posts even when there's no possible way they could remotely understand what they're about, it's like if they like mine that means I might like theirs. I notice a lot of my female friends are always posting when they get to go out for a night on the town and it's like look at me dressed up and drinking overpriced cocktails while someone else minds my kids and the crazy thing is there's nearly always one of their other female friends commentating "wow well jel" etc.

I was listening to a radio show earlier about some comment the head of google made about the sum of human knowledge being lost due to not being backed up on google drive or the likes and someone mentioned all the tweets that are out there, I had to laugh, I for one wouldn't lose any sleep or knowledge if tweets were erased forever. As much as technology has helped this world smart people still get my vote.

i just use FB to keep in touch with people abroad that i am not going to see for a while,and to bombard them with 70's music they should have listened to at the time 5555
    WarProfiteer and Dkdude like this.

I am trying to settle myself with the notion that someone I like (she-wok) participates in this silly game that basically equates to a giant dick measuring contest. Look at me, I'm at the buffet. Look at me, I went to a waterfall. Look at me, I'm at the shopping mall. Baahhhh... the whole thing just puts me off.
    soupdragon likes this.

^^ Its simply asian face, given a digital enabler..
    soupdragon and WarProfiteer like this.

Another odd thing about the 'reach' of facebook... You find out about health issues of extended contacts much more.

There has been a shocking run of late in people I know.. Yesterday a girl who dated my housemate, a good friend of mine and the missus, we lived in the same house for years and shes well known around patong, owning businesses etc (just near the summer breeze) died of organ failure.. She was 36 year old FFS.. 2 weeks ago she was happ and healthy on a Rd trip from Nakhon to Bangkok, stopping at beach resorts and looking great. Today shes brown bread. 36 !! RIP Far..

A month ago a mate I have known for maybe a decade has had a huge level stroke, 95% one side paralysis, speech needs to be re-learnt, a total life changer.. The guy was also under 38.. I think hes same age as my younger brother.

Then another guy, only met a couple of times but facebook contact, was a photography of fight events all around the region.. Also huge stroke, then tests show huge brain tumor.. Given days to live.. Hes still fighting it, been back to the west for major brain surgery.. Tough Rd etc..

All of these under 45.. All in just a couple of months to apparently healthy not so old people. The last year or two people I know have been dropping like flies.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    I am trying to settle myself with the notion that someone I like (she-wok) participates in this silly game that basically equates to a giant dick measuring contest. Look at me, I'm at the buffet. Look at me, I went to a waterfall. Look at me, I'm at the shopping mall. Baahhhh... the whole thing just puts me off.
    My wife is listening to her Thai soaps at level 45 right now
    I'd take her staring into her phone at FB right now 555

PS......"someone I LOVE" you meant, you big old softie 555

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    ^^ Its simply asian face, given a digital enabler..
    With the added complication of being able to instantly reach a much larger audience meaning they have to up their game to stay competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Ok go feck yourself then...555
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    No button for that...
    LiL, feature request form please.
    Changone and Steve@thaib like this.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Umm.......it is every girl in Thailand, practically

Have you not been reading the previous posts?

And as I said in my post......this has been going on amongst Thai girls long before FB was ever even thought of
    It is part of their culture
    One I don't care for or buy into but it is there
    Its not just Thai girls, I notice it a lot in the west. There's a girl I know who likes just about every one of my posts (she's Scottish if it matters) and I'm not the only one she does it to. I'm convinced she dedicates a lot of time to liking stuff on Facebook. Girls do tend to be worse than boys when it comes to the "please like me, will someone please like me" posts but narscisism is a trait that is truly indiscriminate.

Facebook satisfies the higher levels of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, love & belonging, esteem and self-actualisation. Satisfying the need to belong and be liked is pretty much the cornerstone of Facebook, the majority of people want to be liked and respected amongst their peers. How we go about measuring and achieving this depends on how we want to see ourselves. For most people Facebook manages to do this perfectly, it allows them to construct themselves in the way they want to be seen and shut out or hide criticism, sometimes to the point of creating an echo chamber. To most people, Facebook is an esteem generator with a generous helping of narcissism.

Whilst googling for the right terms, I came across this article which was pretty interesting.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...book-s-success
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

K2
    5555 .... WP OP rings true for sure .... your years (16) my wife shied away from all things computer but once smartphone came along then she embraced FB etc etc .... and we agreed not to 'like' each others posts as its pointless. I spend nearly all day online (when not travelling) and wade through mounds of stuff .... likable and lots less so!

I find doing photo trip reports much easier on FB ... in fact the effort of writing a good trip report (here for example) is now so onerous that I won't put that level of effort in. For me FB is very handy to now keep a sort of diary/library of useful info I may wish to return to/reference in future. Sure - its nice to get some positive feedback, but if get none or piss taken (KPop vids) then who the hell cares ... 'tis only 'nternet' init !!
    Its My Life .....!

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    I find doing photo trip reports much easier on FB ... in fact the effort of writing a good trip report (here for example) is now so onerous that I won't put that level of effort in.
    You see I just dont get that.. Use flickr or any one of many photo options.. Use the uploader, let it send everything into the cloud, it then resized in 10 ways from sunday, all kinds of automatic options.. Theres a click to copy link button.. So all your photos are just one click simplicity..

Then add text in between them..

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    5555 .... WP OP rings true for sure .... your years (16) my wife shied away from all things computer but once smartphone came along then she embraced FB etc etc .... and we agreed not to 'like' each others posts as its pointless. I spend nearly all day online (when not travelling) and wade through mounds of stuff .... likable and lots less so!

I find doing photo trip reports much easier on FB ... in fact the effort of writing a good trip report (here for example) is now so onerous that I won't put that level of effort in. For me FB is very handy to now keep a sort of diary/library of useful info I may wish to return to/reference in future. Sure - its nice to get some positive feedback, but if get none or piss taken (KPop vids) then who the hell cares ... 'tis only 'nternet' init !!
    I don't use FB much but Ao and I are not friends
    She is friends with my sisters, but we decided not to

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    I don't use FB much but Ao and I are not friends
    She is friends with my sisters, but we decided not to
    That wasnt a discussion I won..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    That wasnt a discussion I won..
    Same here. Furthermore, I am expected to at least "like" some of her posts...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast